The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

On 09/09/2023 at 1:47 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

One would hope so... I think it's a terrific entry (as I've said many times), with DD doing lots of interesting things with JW's themes and some great action music. I can't see why he'd dislike it; it may have been completely different to what he would have done, but technically it's a well wrought work and the integration of JW's themes is significantly more effective and interesting than, say, Rogue One, where you can kinda understand if JW wasn't that thrilled.

And then give Giacchino the job for Jurassic World? Seems very unlikely.

I mean, the treatment of Williams' themes is not the attractive part of JP III. It is rather... everything else.

Probably Davis should not have reused Williams's themes at all for JP III. It would have even become a better score, I guess.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Total Recall is a 90s score. 

Oh right. So, 80s and 90s then. Still the reverb is annoying. Like Insurrection (a 90s score as well). Hardly listenable to me, just because of that reverb.

That is a big reason, why I like his scores from the 60s and 70s better.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Total Recall is a 90s score. 

An accurate distinction, but did it sound noticeably different from, say, The Final Frontier, a year earlier? Which was an 80's score?

I'm not a Goldsmith scholar, but when did he move to his far wetter sound (as demonstrated above)? It's hard to tell with Hoosiers. Gremlins was quite a bit drier wasn't it? Now I'm trying to think how I would classify Secret of NIMH / Poltergeist / Twilight Zone. Innerspace is definitely in the Star Trek V ballpark.

There's tons of reverb, on THE SECRET OF NIMH. It's distracting. THE TWILIGHT ZONE isn't so bad. POLTERGEIST is very well recorded, with not too much reverb, and the same with THE FINAL CONFLICT, but NIGHT CROSSING is reverb heavy.

Yes, @Tallguy, INNERSPACE is veering toward ST5.

As I said: CTS Wembley, was known for reverb.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Video unavailable
This video contains content from Tele München Fernseh GmbH + Co. Produktionsgesellschaft VOD, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds

13 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Anybody else dislikes that extreme reverb in Goldsmith 80s scores?

I love it.  And yet I wouldn’t want it for all scores. I often actually prefer a drier tight recording. But there’s something about it with say Explorers or Supergirl that adds to the fantasy feel.  For me anyway.  But I can totally see how it could be equally annoying for others. 

GOING OUT OF PRINT SALE!!! LOW QUANTITIES!

With our latest volume of our 1701 Collection just released, now’s a great time to get these additional STAR TREK TV score titles before they are gone for good!

LESS THAN 200 UNITS REMAIN – STAR TREK DS9 VOL 2, ENTERPRISE VOL 1, and ENTERPRISE VOL 2 are ONLY $30 EACH!

Additionally, QUINN MARTIN VOL 1 – COPS AND DETECTIVES (less than 200 remain) and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE TV SERIES ’88 (less than 30 remain) are also going out of print and are ONLY $15 EACH!

And

UNSTOPPABLE (less than 50 left) - ONLY $5 EACH
MYSTERY OF THE BATWOMAN (less than 50 left) - ONLY $5 EACH
LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (less than 60 left) - ONLY $5 EACH

ALMOST GONE – Less than 50 Units of THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH (2-CD SET) REMAIN!

Only at www.lalalandrecords.com

BACK IN STOCK!!!
THE GODFATHER: 50th ANNIV (2-CD SET), DIE HARD 30th ANNIV (3-CD SET), STAR TREK II – THE WRATH OF KHAN (2-CD SET), DIE ANOTHER DAY (2-CD SET), GLORY (2-CD SET)
and
Our acclaimed JOHN WILLIAMS DISASTER MOVIE SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION - EARTHQUAKE, TOWERING INFERNO, POSEIDON ADVENTURE (4-CD BOX SET)

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2q8bwf--14owt0-ag4f6q3

• 3 weeks later...

TREK TV GOING OUT OF PRINT CD SALE ENDS SOON!

OFFER GOOD THRU 10/2/23

GET 3 GREAT STAR TREK TV CD TITLES AT A GREAT PRICE BEFORE THEY ARE GONE!
only at www.lalalandrecords.com

PLUS

LESS THAN 25 UNITS OF MATRIX REVOLUTIONS REMAIN

and SAY HELLO TO OUR LITTLE VINYL FRIEND and PRE-ORDER
our LIMITED EDITION SCARFACE 40th ANNIVERSARY SCORE 2XLP NOW!!!

only at www.lalalandrecords.com

GOING OUT OF PRINT STAR TREK TV SALE!!! LOW QUANTITIES!

With our latest volume of our 1701 Collection just released, now’s a great time to get these additional STAR TREK TV 4-CD SET score titles before they are gone for good!

SPECIAL GOOD THRU 10/2 - ONLY A FEW DAYS LEFT!

LESS THAN 75 UNITS REMAIN – STAR TREK DS9 VOL 2, ENTERPRISE VOL 1, and ENTERPRISE VOL 2 are ONLY $30 EACH!

DeepSpace9Vol2-Web.jpgEnterprise_Booklet_Cover-Web.jpg Enterprise_Vol2_Web.jpg

LESS THAN 25 UNITS OF MATRIX REVOLUTIONS REMAIN

GET IT NOW BEFORE IT'S OUT OF PRINT FOR GOOD!

matrixrevolutions-Web.jpg

and SAY HELLO TO OUR LITTLE VINYL FRIEND and PRE-ORDER
our LIMITED EDITION SCARFACE 40th ANNIVERSARY SCORE 2XLP NOW!!!

scarface-environmental-LP-2_Web.jpg

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2qfxkm--14u2t9-ag4f6q2

October Flyer coming in 4 days!

With the speed of approvals, maybe they decided to keep even a few already approved titles that could have come out in September or October until BF just to make sure they have something for BF?

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

With the speed of approvals, maybe they decided to keep even a few already approved titles that could have come out in September or October until BF just to make sure they have something for BF?

I say the studios should crank it up a notch and also spend months looking at the BF press release, before moving onto the Black and finally considering the Friday. That way, we could get the BF batch in February 2025, save mor money and the studios can knock themselves out approving things.

6 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Oliver Stone has announced on his social media that Shout Studios will release JFK in December on the UHD format.

(Maybe JFK will be one of the BF titles?...)

WB is apparently closed for business with the labels.

JFK is a curious one though, seems to have been held up for years now.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

I will pick this one up.

Me too. Fun little scores these are. 

Plus October 13th falls on a Friday this year!

21% off sale!!!!

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS

NEW RELEASE: TUESDAY OCTOBER 3, 2023

New Release available to order OCTOBER 3, 2023
at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 – THE ULTIMATE CUT
Music by Harry Manfredini
(autographed by the composer)
RETAIL PRICE: $16.98
STARTS SHIPPING OCTOBER 10th

LA-LA LAND OCTOBER BIRTHDAY BASH!!!
21% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER!!!
That’s right, we’re 21 and old enough to drink – so set ‘em up, Joe and celebrate with us and TAKE 21% OFF YOUR ENTIRE ORDER OF IN-STOCK TITLES - including our new release of FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 ULITMATE CUT. (Special excludes SCARFACE 2XLP VINYL PRE-ORDERS and GIFT CERTIFICATE purchases)

Your discount will be applied upon completing checkout. SPECIAL OFFER starts at 12noon pst on 10/3/23 at www.lalalandrecords.com and is good thru 10/31/23.

BACK IN STOCK!
TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA (2-CD SET) and CASPER (2-CD SET)!
LAST BATCH – once these are gone, they’re gone!
Starts shipping 10/10/23

Please be patient with shipping. We are working steadily to get orders out in a timely fashion. Expect up to 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you.

NOTE: New orders may not be combined with previous or current orders.

www.lalalandrecords.com

FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 – THE ULTIMATE CUT
LLLCD 1633

Music by Harry Manfredini
Autographed by the composer
RETAIL PRICE $16.98

STARTS SHIPPING OCTOBER 10th

F13pt3-cover_Web.jpgOrder your CD starting October 3rd at 12noon pst at www.lalalandrecords.com and get your CD booklet autographed by composer Harry Manfredini at no additional charge. Autographs are available while supplies last and are NOT guaranteed.

La-La Land Records presents an all-new restored, remixed, remastered and expanded “ULTIMATE” stereo presentation of renowned composer Harry Manfredini’s original motion picture score to the 1982 feature film FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3, starring Dana Kimmell, Paul Kratka and Richard Brooker, and directed by Steve Miner.

In 2021, the discovery of original FRIDAY score elements culminated in La-La Land’s “Ultimate” restoration of the first two films in the legendary franchise. The 3-D release of FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 in 1982 launched Jason into a whole new dimension of terror! Now, in 2023, the film’s iconic score achieves an incredible new sonic dimension with FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3: THE ULTIMATE CUT, the newly restored, remixed and expanded presentation of composer Harry Manfredini’s (F13 PARTS 1,2,3,4,5,6, 9, 10, HOUSE, DEEPSTAR SIX), iconic score to the famed horror franchise’s second sequel. Engineer Jerry Lambert and album co-producer Brian Satterwhite, under supervision of Manfredini, have once again restored and remixed the music with results nothing short of astounding! The score is richer, bolder and as unstoppable as Jason himself! Included in this deluxe assembly is music NEVER before released!

Produced by Dan Goldwasser and Brian Satterwhite, mixed by Jerry Lambert, meticulously assembled and edited by Satterwhite, and mastered by James Nelson, this special CD release features exclusive liner notes by Satterwhite that provide a detailed track-by-track breakdown along with an in-depth examination of the release’s restoration and remix process. The art direction is by Goldwasser and the original cover art is by Scott Saslow. A must-have for all FRIDAY fans and film score enthusiasts!

TRACK LISTING:

1. FRIDAY THE 13th PART 2 Flashback 5:23
2. Theme from FRIDAY THE 13th PART 3 (performed by Hot Ice) 3:21
3. The General Store 1:57
4. Meat Cleaver and Knitting Needles 3:09
5. Shelly Fake Stabs Andy* 0:36
6. Arriving at Higgins Haven / Fake Axe 1:35
7. Let’s Go For a Swim 1:03
8. Who’s Up There? 2:02
9. In the Barn / The Pipe Wrench 2:35
10. In the Bedroom 1:33
11. Flashback to Meeting Jason 1:33
12. Chuck Walks to Outhouse 1:35
13. The Lake Dock 1:28
14. Shelly Goes to the Barn 1:18
15. Wallet in the Lake 1:09
16. Debbie Takes a Shower 0:48
17. Walking on Hands 1:10
18. Debbie’s Demise / The Fuse Box 2:17
19. Shelly is Really Dead 1:13
20. Where Is Everybody? 3:57
21. Chris Discovers the Bodies** 4:36
22. Chris Escapes Jason and Hides in the Barn 4:50
23. Jason Hung (film version) 1:42
24. Remember Me? 1:32
25. Canoe on the Lake**† 2:55
26. Hallucinating** 1:25
27. Jason Dead in the Barn** 1:02
28. End Title 2:48

BONUS TRACKS
29. Shelly and Vera Bug Out*† 1:34
30. Jason Hung (original version)** 1:41
31. Rock Bottom (performed by Hot Ice)* 5:09
TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 69:59

* previously unreleased
** contains previously unreleased material
† not used in film

www.lalalandrecords.com

AND… PRE-ORDERS ARE LIVE for our SCARFACE 2XLP!!!
NOTE: THESE PRE-ORDERS are NOT part of our 21% OFF SPECIAL

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2qii10--14vhi4-ag4f6q0

I literally just placed my first-ever LLL order less than 9 hours ago (Sabrina, Saving Private Ryan, Casper). I had stuff sitting in my cart for the last week or two and finally decided to go ahead and place the order. Any idea if it is possible to cancel and then reorder with this 21% off promotion???

4 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

this will actually be my Christmas present this year.

Then what will Santa bring you at Christmas since you already gave yourself a present?

4 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

Out of spite, he'll give me the jewel case for the Dial of Destiny OST with the CD of the OST for Raiders inside.

Better than a lump of coal I guess:lol:

18 hours ago, Andy said:

Aw man, that sucks @Tydirium  

Worth an email to them at least. 

Thanks, emailed them yesterday (also Fb messaged); no response yet. Supposedly Casper can’t ship out until Oct 10, so theoretically there should be enough time for them to cancel the order… We’ll see.

52 minutes ago, Trope said:

A handful of friends and I had a group listening session together and we listened to the expanded Prisoner of Azkaban set (their first time). Being familiar with the OST, I think they really enjoyed hearing all the previously unreleased music and how it affected the shape of the musical narrative. I just kept thinking about what a great release the Potter boxset was (possibly my favourite expansion I own) and how lucky we are to be able to hear all of JW's intricate musical gems produced by people who really care.

Agreed. The current shenanigans at WB made me regard this set as a miracle all over again.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Happy 21st anniversary to LLL Records!

20231009_082030.jpg

Man I love the 2 CD TMP as just the most perfect presentation of the score and an obvious labor of love. But the 3 CD was 1) historic and 2) still has some goodies that I will never part with.