After reading this, who still thinks 'Dial of Destiny' will be Williams' last score?

Ricard

Spielberg talks all the time about potential projects.  John is less than two months away from age 91; any "potential" project is a year, maybe even two years away from the scoring stage.  Never say never, but if he doesn't have anything definite lined up at this point, I don't see it happening.

Eh. In the New York Times article this year where he first let the cat out of the bag, we all kinda overlooked that Williams said it was hard to say no to Spielberg, and that Spielberg himself was also quoted saying he felt pretty secure. 

I still think if Spielberg decided to do Blackhawk or revived Robopocalypse or some expensive spectacle like that, I'd put less than 50% odds on Williams doing it even if he lives to 100. There's too much truth in him musing that six months is a lot of life at his age. But if Spielberg pulled The Post redux and suddenly cranked out another drama next Christmas that required the kind of score he could do in a few weeks, sure, I think he's in.

The Bullitt movie, that could go either way. I could see Spielberg going for a minimal action style, raw car chase sound design that wouldn't require much complicated scoring. It's probably the most generous thing he could do at this point if he wants Williams onboard. He's been trending more that way as a director anyway. 

27 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I gotta get used to seeing 'DoD' written here.

I have to admit abbreviating every movie title is one of my pet hates. There, I said it. "DoD" does have a nice military ring to it though!

32 minutes ago, Tom said:

How does your mind handle ET?  

Pretty easily as that's the first part of the movie's name and what it's commonly refered as. What annoys me is abbreviations should be well known, and most movies simply aren't known by abbrevations of their titles, such as: JTTCOTE and ONIM. 

Not the end of the world, I just don't see what's hard about typing the name of the movie, or in this case: Indy 5. Sure, DoD is understandable from the context of the thread title, but I still think it's just lazy and not everyone will initially know it. Casual visitors years from now. There, I said it again!

But back on topic, given good health and if Spielberg has projects ready to score in the not too distant future, I think Williams will be on board. He may relish the chance after a break perhaps from film scoring. Although since he's still working on Indy 5, he hasn't had such a break yet. 

29 minutes ago, pete said:

Although since he's still working on Indy 5, he hasn't had such a break yet. 

Dial of Destiny's score was finished recording back in October. Unless he was asked to do some revisions, but we were told it was finished.

1 minute ago, pete said:

I thought so too, but he said at the Milan concert that he has a little more work to do on it.

Oh really? That I didn't know. Must be new news. I wonder if there's video of it anywhere.

1 hour ago, pete said:

I just don't see what's hard about typing the name of the movie, or in this case: Indy 5. Sure, DoD is understandable from the context of the thread title, but I still think it's just lazy and not everyone will initially know it. Casual visitors years from now. There, I said it again!

Makes sense!

well from the quote he sure seems interested in scoring projects again if it's Spielberg . I guess he'll keep scoring movies until he's on his death bed

And who knows this opens the door to the odd SW theme 

2 hours ago, pete said:

Casual visitors years from now. There, I said it again!

Such people will have to exercise their archeological skills and search for fact, not truth.  If it's truth they are interested in, Jeff Eldridge's John Williams's site is just a click away.  

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Retirement from movies was the only thing ever in question, anyway. We've always known he would keep writing music. But the Miyazaki comparison is apt, or Daniel Day-Lewis but he seems serious this time. 

I feel like these kinds of guys are so obsessed and compelled to do it that maybe they feel like if they force the issue and announce retirement then they'll have no choice but to take a break and then they realize they can't help themselves. Like people who announce they're leaving a message board and then come back a week later. 

Unlike Miyazaki and Day-Lewis, at least JW has never declared his retirement only to unretire multiple times.

Obviously all is dependent on health, but I think in terms of his own decisions, it will come down to how much satisfaction he derives from writing concert music "full time."   At this point, I would take a piano concerto over any potential film score.  

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Obviously all is dependent on health, but I think in terms of his own decisions, it will come down to how much satisfaction he derives from writing concert music "full time." 

And whether he decides to go pro on the court. 

20 hours ago, Ricard said:

He briefly mentions the possibility of scoring more films for Spielberg at the end of this video (still somehow intelligible beneath the voice-over)

1:12 - end.

At the very end he does mention in regards to SS:  "One thing he is not, is a man you can say no to".  This line will live forever right up there with "I know, but they're all dead!"  LOL

41 minutes ago, Bayesian said:

Well, we know of course JW remains keen to write music. When he says he doesn't want to spend 6 months of his autumn years working on a score, I take it to mean he has no more patience for experiences like Rise of Skywalker (i.e., endless rewrites and butchering of his hard work in the final cut).

From that POV, Indy 5 is almost assuredly the last blockbuster score with wall-to-wall music we will see from JW. But one or two more smaller scores for Spielberg are easy to imagine.

This!

Wonderful statement! Maybe it's irrational hope, but I feel pretty confident now that we're getting at least one more JW score for a Spielberg film. Dial of Destiny is clearly his last major blockbuster score, as others have noted, but I see no reason why he wouldn't do something like The Post or The Fabelmans with fairly minimal scoring.

I just can't wait to hear DoD! My anticipation for the action music is especially high after the overall disappointment of the action music in TROS. This is probably the last action filled score from JW.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'd rather he retires, than die with an incompleted score.

Why? I’m certainly grateful that the joyful, energetic, and creative Looney Tunes: Back in Action was Jerry Goldsmith’s final score, even though he sadly didn’t get to compose the finale of it and John Debney had to do a few inferior cues there…

Yavar

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Which one would you like to delete?

You don't really need to delete anything. The Fabelmans is Williams and Spielberg's 29th feature film collaboration. The possible next movie will be the 30th.