Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

Has anyone seen the costs to purchase the album digitally? I used VPN to look at Qobuz in Europe, and the cost was €15.99 I think - and that was for CD quality. Or in other words above the CD cost for the same quality. I am hoping the US sites start to show the album in 35 mins as we pass midnight EDT.

9 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Has anyone seen the costs to purchase the album digitally? I used VPN to look at Qobuz in Europe, and the cost was €15.99 I think - and that was for CD quality. Or in other words above the CD cost for the same quality. I am hoping the US sites start to show the album in 35 mins as we pass midnight EDT.

Qobuz seems to usually drop new albums in the US at 3am EDT, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

The score is in parts better than I expected, in parts as I expected, and in parts dissapointing;

but the album assembly is borderline intolerable. Subtracting TWO arrangements of Helena's theme and two minutes lackluster Raiders March at the end, the score is presented with barely 57 minutes. Then you get carbon copies of Tintin and Last Crusade (?), and you are at 55 minutes of score.

This isn't the Fablemans, and it's not 1989 anymore, give this last JW score a proper f'n soundtrack!

Yeah the ASM version didn't need to be on this.  I don't mind the presentation from The Grafikos onward though. It sounds cohesive enough.

Wish we had a full on Raiders March piece like the other scores do.

4 hours ago, Damien F said:

I'm really struck by how much Helena's theme dominates the OST compared to Indy's theme especially in the action music.

From what I heard, she dominates much of the film. Seeing it Thursday so can't say for sure yet but based on some reviews I've read plus two friends that saw it, it's as much a "Helena" film as an Indy...

7Digital US has it for purchase now that midnight has struck in the eastern time zone.

https://us.7digital.com/artist/john-williams/release/indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-30798940?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2

$16.49 for Flac 16/44.1

$11.99 for M4A/MP3

And Tidal has it streaming.

Very cool it is in Atmos on Apple Music

Im trying to avoid listening to the album untill I see the film in a few days. But I did sample a few tracks. And Golly! this has the sound of Indy and the wonderful musical references from Raiders and TLC are great tributes.

But oh boy Athens cue is fabulous..

Did the 'Whip in a Gun Fight' cue end up here by any chance under a different name on the album.?

5 minutes ago, Amer said:

Did the 'Whip in a Gun Fight' cue end up here by any chance under a different name on the album.?

I could be wrong but I'm assuming it's Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique. Unless there's more to that cue.

40 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I could be wrong but I'm assuming it's Auction at Hotel L'Atlantique. Unless there's more to that cue.

It seems a likely candidate, but nothing from the sheet music we’ve seen for ‘Whip at a Gun Fight’ is in this track.

9 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

Doing my first preview listen of the album now before bed, 1:42-1:46 of Germany, 1944 almost sounds like the rebel theme from star wars

As @mxsch stated, it’s actually the Nazi theme from ROTLA, but I think you might be thinking of the stormtrooper motif? I don’t recall a rebel theme that sounds like that, unless I’m forgetting something.

7 minutes ago, mxsch said:

That's the Nazi theme from the Raiders. It's not new.

Lol I guess I really am unfamiliar with Indy music

4 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

As @mxsch stated, it’s actually the Nazi theme from ROTLA, but I think you might be thinking of the stormtrooper motif? I don’t recall a rebel theme that sounds like that, unless I’m forgetting something.

Definitely not. The main triplets are the same as the rebel theme, but they diverge after that

I'm about halfway through the album, there's some great music on here! To Morocco was probably my favorite so far 

2 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Wait, is there no edit credits track?

Not a complete credits suite, no. Assuming that “Helena’s Theme” and “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” are in the credits more or less as they are on album, you could program them after “New York, 1969” in a playlist.

9 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

Seems like it. And no new Raiders arrangement. And too much Helena's theme, and there is a very strange edit point in the Germany, 1944 and e.t.c. I feel like this album will be lackluster when we will get the complete version somehow. Still hoping for complete 5 movies box set. And I wasn't really into KOTCS soundtrack before I've heard the recording sessions.

1 minute ago, enderdrag64 said:

Definitely not. The main triplets are the same as the rebel theme, but they diverge after that

Could you post a link and/or timestamp to what part you’re talking about in ANH, if you have any idea off the top of your head? I still think it sounds closer to the stormtrooper motif.

5 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Is it not the second half of New York, 1969?

I mean as the separate recording, for one last time. But KOTCS one is still works wonderfully.

I bought the album at midnight and listened to it till 2 am. Very happy overall :-). I like the score much better than KotCS already (even though the album situation is indeed frustrating). Sure, the theme(s) for the MacGuffin concept (at least I think that's what they must be) at the end of "Prologue" are no match for the grail or ark themes, but the overall tone is much closer to what I consider the Indy sound than KotCS. I especially love "Archimedes' Tomb", "Grafikos", "Water Ballet", and "Tuk Tuk...". Now can't wait to see the movie this weekend.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Those are on the OST. 

If you're thinking of the blue fairy theme, that's on the OST. 

The mature Cross of Coronado theme was not on the original OST, if I recall correctly; the cue stopped when Indy falls into the "Lion's Den", and the developed theme first appears afterwards in the movie. The cue for Portuguese Coast was also not on the original OST.

23 minutes ago, paleo said:

I bought the album at midnight and listened to it till 2 am. Very happy overall :-). I like the score much better than KotCS already (even though the album situation is indeed frustrating). Sure, the theme(s) for the MacGuffin concept (at least I think that's what they must be) at the end of "Prologue" are no match for the grail or ark themes, but the overall tone is much closer to what I consider the Indy sound than KotCS. I especially love "Archimedes' Tomb", "Grafikos", "Water Ballet", and "Tuk Tuk...". Now can't wait to see the movie this weekend.

What exactly wrong with the KOTCS music? At least the sessions have complete Jungle Chase which is one of the best action tracks in the whole franchise and may I say the one of the Williams finest in terms of action scoring. Warehouse stuff is great, Academy chase is great, finale stuff is great too and e.t.c. Soviet theme is cool and the Skull motif itself is very creepy. That Peru cue is pure cheese and I freaking love it.

I've finished Dial right now and I don't know how to react to it, honestly. The album is 100% frustrating and I feel that the actual movie will have a ton of highlights. Also for the action packed movie, as it was already called by some reviewers, I don't hear enough representation of it. On the other hand, the score sounds excellent, the recording is stellar too.

P.S. I think that pretty much every original Indy album is lackluster, the same goes for the Star Wars.

7 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Not for sure, but probably Jon Lewis.

Yeah looks like it. The trumpet sound is remarkably different to that of the ST, at least on the crappy YouTube quality I've been listening to it on. Although there's a lot more muted brass here, and a little less unison writing.

11 minutes ago, Laserschwert said:

Do the track titles contain spoilers? I'd love to listen to it, but I won't see the film until next week...

You're safe. There's nothing to indicate the fate of any characters. A few locations (city and country names), that's really all you can gleam apart from the existance of a battle, an airport, tuk tuks, and an auction. 

4 minutes ago, Signals said:

The Falling Car - Jurassic Park

Driving Away from Trouble - War of the Worlds

The Conveyor Belt - Attack of the Clones

Yes

The Falling Car uses (straight) muted trumpets and trombones

Driving uses muted trombones 

Conveyor Belt uses all brass muted, with the horns playing full stop.

Thanks.

I have been trying to figure out what makes that sound for a while now, as pretty much all the muted brass samples and soundfonts I have tried sounded nothing like that.

Then I figured it out while listening to DoD on my walk today.

6 minutes ago, Signals said:

Thanks.

I have been trying to figure out what makes that sound for a while now, as pretty much all the muted brass samples and soundfonts I have tried sounded nothing like that.

Then I figured it out while listening to DoD on my walk today.

Digital instruments are still remarkably bad at replicating brass sound. Actually, there all bad, but brass more so. 

Tuk Tuk in Tangiers is incredible - definitely in the vein of Follow Me and the Falcon from The Force Awakens. The way Williams has used Helena's Theme is straight up pure bliss.

Having absorbed a little more, I think one problem is that the action sequence at the end (Airport/Syracuse) doesn't seem to me to have much going on thematically except for Helena's theme in action mode. A lot of it also it just Williams' typical modern action style, although that may also be trying to just keep up with the film.

It may be that once again Williams has just taken a few sections out of a larger sequence and put things out of order in his latest bizarre attempt at a listening experience, but it means that the album lacks a proper ending for me in terms of third act structure.

Hence I think everyhing up to track 13 is pretty strong material, then it falls apart a bit - I would bet that this is where we're missing a ton of material.

Oh I sincerely doubt I need all two hours of music from this score, but I do get the impression that the finale has not fared well in the album assembly.

I mean I'm also assuming that a ton of heroic Indy statements are missing. Maybe not and Helena's theme is the new hero.

21 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, it seems like he basically took a “greatest hits” approach to scoring that scene, 

I get the sense he took that approach for a lot of scenes, based on the album plays... YMMV.

I would understand if the old man isn't particularly excited about writing more heroic Indy statements

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Oh I sincerely doubt I need all two hours of music from this score, but I do get the impression that the finale has not fared well in the album assembly.

I mean I'm also assuming that a ton of heroic Indy statements are missing. Maybe not and Helena's theme is the new hero.

what this score would have needed was a shorter movie that let the music play out and linger and no temp tracking.

Just had my first listen. First of all, Helena's theme is really versatile, I really did not get that sense from the Concert Suite Alone, and goes thorugh some really fantastic variations. It seems, on the OST at least, to be the core of the score, but I would imagine most of the statements of the Raiders March were left off the OST.

Also, there are quite a few new themes in this. At least 4 or 5, besides Helena's, although I have absolutely no idea what they might represent (except Voller's, which seems pretty obvious)

Ok, now I’m getting a bit restless. Helena’s Theme makes me think of Leia’s Theme obviously but there is something else, another theme probably not by Williams. Aaaah. Help!!

EDIT: Found it! My brain wants me to believe that Helena’s Theme is similar to Mina’s Theme in DRACULA by Wojciech Kilar. It’s really about how the theme ends. 

7 hours ago, Amer said:

7 hours ago, Bellosh said:

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

It seems a likely candidate, but nothing from the sheet music we’ve seen for ‘Whip at a Gun Fight’ is in this track.

yes Auction at Hotel l’antlantiq is Whip at a gun fight.

5 hours ago, artguy360 said:

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Not a complete credits suite, no. Assuming that “Helena’s Theme” and “Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny” are in the credits more or less as they are on album, you could program them after “New York, 1969” in a playlist.

yeah as noted, end credits is raiders March from New York 1969 followed by Helena’s theme and then Prolog - most likely. Some editing might have been done but this is the most likely case.

4 hours ago, Laserschwert said:

Do the track titles contain spoilers? I'd love to listen to it, but I won't see the film until next week...

i think there is one major spoiler about the climax. I’m surprised they used that track title. It’s definitely something you are not supposed to know going in.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Having absorbed a little more, I think one problem is that the action sequence at the end (Airport/Syracuse) doesn't seem to me to have much going on thematically except for Helena's theme in action mode.

I think I heard Voller’s theme (??) in Syracuse as well.

16 minutes ago, iamleyeti said:

Ok, now I’m getting a bit restless. Helena’s Theme makes me think of Leia’s Theme obviously but there is something else, another theme probably not by Williams. Aaaah. Help!!

Is it Sabrina? Not the shape of the melody but the feel in the concert suite - though Sabrina concert suite is a better piece and a better theme imo.

24 minutes ago, Romão said:

Also, there are quite a few new themes in this. At least 4 or 5, besides Helena's, although I have absolutely no idea what they might represent (except Voller's, which seems pretty obvious)

i was listening to the prologue the first time, and i liked Helena's part more than ever before, and then it got to the tense buldup and i thought "this must be the mcguffin" and it made me smile. and then i realized it probably wasn't that lol

Helena's motif sounds more interesting as part of the fabric of the album score than in isolation as a concert piece