Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

I don't get a sense of closure from this album at all. 

It starts impossibly strong, gathers a whole lot of steam, then has a few storytelling tracks, tries to find a climax that never comes - then a few random cues, and Raiders March out of literally nowhere.

8 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Somehow, I feel like the action tracks from the climax (The Airport, Battle of Syracuse, Centuries Join Hands) haven't "clicked" for me yet, as they sound like your usual JW action/suspense scoring... But I feel I'll like them a lot more once I hear them a few more times and see the movie.

I quite liked them before seeing the movie but seeing the movie really made me appreciate them more.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Somehow, I feel like the action tracks from the climax (The Airport, Battle of Syracuse, Centuries Join Hands) haven't "clicked" for me yet, as they sound like your usual JW action/suspense scoring... But I feel I'll like them a lot more once I hear them a few more times and see the movie.

I can see a lot of composers going - ain't nobody sitting through the end credits - what's the point of me writing 8 mins of new music. Better leave the editor to track in something.

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I can see a lot of composers going - ain't nobody sitting through the end credits - what's the point of me writing 8 mins of new music. Better leave the editor to track in something.

Unless it's a marvel movie of course :lol:

10 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The point of an end credits suite isn't to write new music, but to showcase highlights from the movie. Williams usually excels at this, but wasn't bothered this time?

I find it hugely dissapointing because when I'm in the mood to get a John Williams fix from a particular movie, the credits are a go to.

46 minutes ago, Archive Collection said:

I have to disagree! The film certainly maintains the tone of the previous films: there are “dark” moments  throughout - much like any other Indy film. But it's nowhere near the aesthetic of any Nolan films, or Logan (also directed by Mangold). My impression is that they committed to honouring the tone and aesthetic of the original three films.

Quite agree with this. This is very much in the spirit of the previous movies (and frankly, it's hard to make more "dark and disturbing" than Temple of Doom, isn't it?). Even as far the the photography goes, this was much closer to Douglas Slocombe than the hideous Kaminski stuff from KOTC (don't get me wrong, Kaminsky was great for a tons of Spielberg movies, but just wasn't a good fit for Indy Imho)

Just saw the movie, without having listened to the album yet.

The score has certainly ups and downs. 

The best part is how Helena's theme is used: it's used a lot, and in very different ways. It's clearly the main theme of the movie.

The worst part is the music for the whole prologue. I'm sorry, but it was distracting as hell because every single second of it was reused music from an earlier movie! Every fragment. And each comes from a different cue, pasted together. For me, it sounds very similar to the tracked music for the Battle of Geonosis.

(I know that this sounds like a sacrilege, but honestly.... I don't think there's such a difference between tracked music and literally reused music in this case....).

Thankfully, all the other action cues are much better, even though many of them are CLEARLY based on a previous cue (which again, is distracting).

Everyone please use this thread to discuss the album and the "score in the film" thread to discuss music you heard in the film (that isn't in the album). Thanks. 

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

I don't get a sense of closure from this album at all. 

It starts impossibly strong, gathers a whole lot of steam, then has a few storytelling tracks, tries to find a climax that never comes - then a few random cues, and Raiders March out of literally nowhere.

True.

The first half definitely pulls me more than the second.

There are some cool action tracks before the finale, but the emotion at the end cannot really be felt in the music.

47 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

There is no Williams "classic" End Credits on score. Something is rotten in the state of Disney. 

Whine whine.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

*I* sat through the whole credits...

Probably to the embarrassment of the friend who was with me...

45 minutes ago, oierem said:

The worst part is the music for the whole prologue. I'm sorry, but it was distracting as hell because every single second of it was reused music from an earlier movie! Every fragment. And each comes from a different cue, pasted together. For me, it sounds very similar to the tracked music for the Battle of Geonosis.

Pretty sure I heard original music too.

4 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I'm finally at the point where I know which track is playing without looking at my computer or phone 

That was fast!

I'm looking forward to getting to that point too in the next few days.

(Weeks? Months?)

50 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

You know how long I've been looking for this score?

Rumour has it you're the #1 Indy fan on this board.

Pleased to make yer acquitance! (Again.)

I'd be quite happy to be considered #2.

Indiana Jones is for sure my favourite series, period.

I must say I am quite pleased with the music but not super excited overall. 

there are some really nice tracks and moments - way better than most of JWs recent music, but he still seems to be holding back a bit. 

what I don’t like most is: 

1) no raiders march, not even much of it in the score

2) only one new theme (at least officially)

Helenas theme is beautiful but it is not enough for me. I was also listening to KotCS today - and wow, Irinas theme, Call of the Krystal… I am sorry but it was way better Score than Dial of Destiny in every aspect, way more “classic” Williams. Dial is pretty but it is too reserved and lacks the balls and new thematic material. 

59 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

There are a few more.

But they're quite understated.

It's driving me up the wall that there is at least one theme for Archimedes and one for the Dial, but both don't even have an end credit appearance, much less a short suite. I think the Dial even has two themes.

39 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

It's driving me up the wall that there is at least one theme for Archimedes and one for the Dial, but both don't even have an end credit appearance, much less a short suite. I think the Dial even has two themes.

THAT many??

I think were going to need timestamps for all the themes in this movie.

It seems there are many more than seem apparent at first glance.

Williams has been busy!

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I think were going to need timestamps for all the themes in this movie.

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

An initial attempt at theme recognition from the first few tracks

Nazi Theme 1

Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 3:16 - 3:27

Germany, 1944 3:26 - 3:36

Nazi Theme 2 

Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 1:55 - 2:29

Voller Returns 2:17 - 2:35

Voller Theme 1

Voller Returns 0:41 - 1:14

Germany, 1944 2:41 - 2:59

11 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Some more perspective themes

Archimedes Theme (?)

Prologue to Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny 4:08 - end (possible concert rendition)

Archimedes' Tomb 1:13 - 1:46

5 hours ago, Damien F said:

image.png

Its very interesting how Williams is show casing his projects with serious Themes for Women and giving them the full vintage old hollywood treatment. It explains why AMS got onboard at the last minute to do the new arrangement as an added bonus.

Charles Gerhardt had planned to do an exclusive album called 'Women of Hollywood' but that project never came to be unfortunately when his recording series suddenly ended.

Williams feels very strongly to evoke the glamour of old hollywood and it pays off!!

15 hours ago, Tydirium said:

@Archive Collection Do you happen to recall if the music from the first 20 seconds or so of the recent music featurette is in the film? Maybe in the New York chase or something? Was just wondering, as it’s not on the OST. (Or is it from KOTCS and I’m mistaken?)

Got an answer for you.

The first 24 seconds is in the 1944 sequence during the train chase, as is that awesome version of Indy's theme around 0:33. All unreleased.

9 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Got an answer for you.

The first 24 seconds is in the 1944 sequence during the train chase, as is that awesome version of Indy's theme around 0:33. All unreleased.

Thanks a lot! So bummed that it wasn’t released; I had been really looking forward to it since that featurette vid.

On 29/06/2023 at 7:57 AM, oierem said:

Just saw the movie, without having listened to the album yet.

The score has certainly ups and downs.

The best part is how Helena's theme is used: it's used a lot, and in very different ways. It's clearly the main theme of the movie.

(I know that this sounds like a sacrilege, but honestly.... I don't think there's such a difference between tracked music and literally reused music in this case....).

Thankfully, all the other action cues are much better, even though many of them are CLEARLY based on a previous cue (which again, is distracting).

Reading "the Battle of Geonosis" made me anxious for a second. What a nightmare. I hate when they do that…

Just finished the score on album. I think Williams' composition and expressiveness are still there during the highlights, but honestly the entire score just lacks energy. It felt like a 90 year old version of the older scores. I will admit that I am not the biggest fan of the Indiana Jones scores though.

I was at first quite disappointed... I reached Germany, 1944 and found a lot of previously know music that doesn't seem to fit whatever might be happening (haven't seen the film yet, but I know so well those tracks that are difficult to disconnect from previous images).

Now, I'm taking a second listen and, ok, is not so bad. I mean, Williams is never bad; but you understand me. In any case the score makes me even more skeptical with the film. I usually don't like Mangold's directing and my gut feeling is that he doesn't understand music as well as he needs to point Williams into more surprising fields...