Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

19 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Anybody else getting serious “Sabrina” vibes from tracks like “To Morocco” and “To Athens”?

Yes. I actually think it might be a bit more than vibes in only these tracks, as I feel that Helena’s theme and Sabrina share some similarities, which are are easier to spot when Helena’s theme is used in action mode with proper instrumentation and maybe even some piano solo on the top of it.

But keep in mind that I’m the one who keeps hearing Obi-Wan at ‘The Airport’ (0:16->). 😂

Does the last 1:10 part of “Auction at Hotel L’Atlantique” sound almost exactly like “The Adventure Continues” from The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn? 

16 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

apologies if this has already been talked about, but are these couple of notes of the TLC Nazi motif:

Also is that motif in other parts of the film?

I mentioned this a few days ago! Glad someone else noticed it too!

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Plenty more of it! Those two cues you mentioned condense about 20 minutes of movie into 4 minutes of music.

Now I can't wait (even more) :-)

1 hour ago, paleo said:

Somehow none of the composers of similar movies (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Jungle Cruise etc.) quite managed to meet my taste so far.

Okay look at ur examples here:

Tomb Raider(2018) was Junkie XL

Uncharted was Ramin Djawadi

Jungle Cruise was James Newton Howard

It's like the stages of human evolution. Junkie is the monkey to JNH somewhere in the middle standing more upright. You're basically moving from the simplistic RCP sound to JNH's unrefinely sophisticated orchestral sound. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I was underwhelmed by the Jungle Cruise score when I first heard it, but a few months ago I gave it another chance and I really like it! It's not as good as JNH's other classic Disney scores (few things are) but it's still a lot of fun.

I don't know how I would compare it to Dial of Destiny though... They're different beasts.

7 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

I want a Giacchino score for the new Indy

Still remember when he posted a picture of the staff of Ra from Raiders on his Instagram people automatically assumed he was gonna score Indiana Jones 5. Lol

Though I do wonder what a Giacchino Indy score would sound like. 

4 hours ago, JTW said:

Does the last 1:10 part of “Auction at Hotel L’Atlantique” sound almost exactly like “The Adventure Continues” from The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn? 

1:06 of Hotel sounds like :28 of The Snake Pit from KOTCS. Sorry on mobile can't timestamp

Listening through a 2nd time. Water Ballet has some organ in it, that's pretty cool! As is the other cool percussion going on in the track. 

As I listen through, I can't tell whether I like the mix or not...I keep going back and forth. There's times I think the strings should sound 'bigger', and some of the percussion seems really close, but then at the same time, I hear a lot of nice clarity and detail which I like. Sometimes I want to say the brass (maybe French horns in particular) sound a little harsh, but then again other times I think the brass sounds great. Bass seems really heavy sometimes, like pizzicato bass and bass drum very strong. 

Overall, I want to say I like the sound of the mix better than the Star Wars sequels, but I don't know, I'll have to compare. 

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Dial Of Destiny Theme above is Antiquity Theme / Ancient Greece Theme

Interesting... indeed the theme has a Greek vibe to it thanks to the instrumentation.

I guess this is the closest we'll ever get of Williams scoring something related to the Ancient Greece and its myths. If only Chris Columbus asked him to score his Percy Jackson movie in 2010... :(

4 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Dial Of Destiny Theme above is Antiquity Theme / Ancient Greece Theme

Don't you think it sounds a little too ominous and mysterious to merely depict antiquity/ancient Greece?

I had a strange week. I had a lot going on in my life and one complete surprise - nothing really terrible, but was on my mind a lot.... So I just couldn't get excited about the score - or rather I couldn't really concentrate on it, which I think for me with a new Williams score is first!

Hence, I'm still getting to know it, and up until yesterday I didn't really have time to give it my full attention. I'm sure it'll grow on me though! Am planning to spend more time with it this weekend. and I'll be seeing the movie on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I like tinkering, so here's what I did to the OST. I edited into three sections the Prologue. My iTunes version starts with The Helena beginning of that piece. Helena's Theme moved to after New York 1969, which I divided into two at the obvious point.  There's not a clean gap between the Prologue's villian music and the Greek motive and the rest of the piece, but I used a bit of a fade into the Greek motive so It's something I can live with, 

The violin version I moved to Across The Stars where it follows Marion's Theme - or "Marion's Violin" as I renamed it. I like having all those violin arrangements in the one artificial iTunes album. 

My Indiana Jones score ranking:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. The Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

4. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

5. Dial of Destiny

20 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but did anyone else notice that the OST version of “To Morocco” is different from the film version?

Yep. The film version is either cut down or an insert/shorter ending.

I suspect this was originally a map scene but deleted for time.

17 hours ago, paleo said:

I might watch Jungle Cruise later tonight... just to bridge the time till I can go to the movies tomorrow.

It is SO FUN!

19 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I hope Williams writes a full concert version of Archimedes Theme like he did for Jedi Steps for concerts.

Did I already say I love Archimedes theme? Not enough times I need to bring it up every page of this thread

I was thinking about Williams' comment that he had to write a new ending. That makes me wonder if the original ending had any cool or epic renditions of Archimedes Theme.

I'm really enjoying the score -- haven't seen the film yet.  I would add that my enjoyment of the album increased after making a minor adjustment: I edited together "New York, 1969," "Helena's Theme," and the latter portion of "Prologue" to recreate the end credits as heard in the film, and used that to close out the album, keeping the first portion of "Prologue" with Helena's Theme as an opener.

41 minutes ago, Dr. Know said:

I'm really enjoying the score -- haven't seen the film yet.  I would add that my enjoyment of the album increased after making a minor adjustment: I edited together "New York, 1969," "Helena's Theme," and the latter portion of "Prologue" to recreate the end credits as heard in the film, and used that to close out the album, keeping the first portion of "Prologue" with Helena's Theme as an opener.

Did you place New York 1969 again at the very end too?  I'd love to do something similar but I just wish we had a more subtle intro (similar to KOTCS finale) into the raiders march in the DoD sound.

I feel weird having an Indy end credits not end with the raiders march 😭

26 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

I feel weird having an Indy end credits not end with the raiders march 😭

You’re the first person I’ve seen mention this, and I really wonder why he didn’t end the credits with the March. I suppose in a way it’s meant to make you feel the adventure is really over, any thoughts on this?

There's quite nice mystery music leading to a statement of the dial theme in the end credits not released yet. I wonder whether that music appears elsewhere in the movie, as well?