"John Williams in His Adventure on Earth" - Biography by Tim Greiving

Marian Schedenig

I wonder if Tim was able to get other collaborators involved first, who then helped convince Williams. That'll be cool to hear the story one day. But I'm so glad he got to interview Williams, and I can't wait to read this!!

His blog and many expansion booklets, many of those based on new interviews with the composer or filmmakers.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great news, but weird that he's not interviewing George Lucas, Christopher Columbus, Anne-Sophie Mutter, and Mark Hamill.

I agree. Although it would make sense to list her among the musicians, is it possible ASM is one of the “friends”? I’d also count Dudamel in that category; he’s another one I would expect to see in this book. I do wonder which “friends” were interviewed for this (and if they will be named, or just referenced in a general way). Daisy Ridley? Kathleen Kennedy? Leonard Slatkin?

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

I agree. Although it would make sense to list her among the musicians, is it possible ASM is one of the “friends”? I’d also count Dudamel in that category; he’s another one I would expect to see in this book. I do wonder which “friends” were interviewed for this (and if they will be named, or just referenced in a general way). Daisy Ridley? Kathleen Kennedy? Leonard Slatkin?

The book will be launch in 2025, maybe he will have some times to make some new interviews :) 

Hope it will be translate in french.

I guess it can be done in 300pages, but I could easily see it brought up to 500/600 pages (editor might not like that LOL).  It depends how far in time it will go.

33 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

This will be an instant purchase! Too bad it is two years out. Shoot!

I hope we won't be grieving in two years.

Btw, did JW really only have one adventure on Earth (and none in space and time)? Escape velocity etc...

And what about...girls?

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great news, but weird that he's not interviewing George Lucas, Christopher Columbus, Anne-Sophie Mutter, and Mark Hamill.

Just because he didn't put them in as examples doesn't mean he didn't interview them 

Oxford Press is as good as it gets for top quality, well researched (non-fluff) works.  They have a rigorous review process.  This should be the authoritative reference for a long while.  

32 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I'm not going to lie—I was excitedly curious how quickly this news would hit JWFan!

For those who don't know me, I've been writing about film music and interviewing composers (and directors and actors) professionally for the past decade. Besides the many liner notes, I also write articles and create radio stories for mainstream news outlets like the L.A. Times and NPR. I teach a film music history course at USC. And I've been a card-carrying member of this site since 2003.

I won't divulge too much just yet, because it's still a little early, but I was excited to finally make it public that this book is happening. I've been working on it for three years now, and I've interviewed approximately 150 people. The big kahuna, of course, is John Williams. I plan to share the story of how that happened one day, but not yet.

Thanks for your excitement! I can promise you that there are many things (stories, facts, quotes) in this book you have never heard...

Tim

I'm anxious to read the passages of your book about me!

Congrats!