THE LOST WORLD (1997) - 2023 2-CD expanded reissue from La-La Land Records now available!

Jay

On 13/9/2023 at 8:59 PM, Trope said:

I'm sure this has been discussed before, as it appears on the 2016 release as well, but what's with the strange hiss at 2:41 in Ludlow's Speech?

Does anyone have further information about this? Was it discussed in threads about the 2016 release?

He said the first week of September, not October, so it must be late

On 23/08/2023 at 2:53 PM, Jay said:

MV says

Just to give you all a heads up -- Lost World blew out the door quicker than anticipated. It's currently out of stock, but more copies are on the way. We hope to have it back in stock first week of September. In the meantime, if you ordered it from the La La Land website, your order has been shipped or is in the process of being shipped.

MV

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=151816&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=1&r=473#bottom

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's a big JP fanbase out there.

Makes me wonder if LLL are fast-tracking JP3 and the Giacchino scores, considering 3/4 aren't subject to union fees and Universal's easy to deal with currently. Might as well strike while the iron's hot.

One can only hope!

I've read online that there is an "infant motif" in this score. Could somebody help me to identify where it pops up? I listened to the OST album yesterday in preparation for the complete score, but I wasn't able to pick out this particular motif. Also, are there any recurring smaller/shorter musical ideas that I should be on the lookout for while listening to the full score that aren't the obvious primary themes (Lost World theme, Island voice theme, themes from JP1, etc.)?

Nope just the baby theme.

It's in Stegasaurus, Spilling Petrol and Horning In, and In The Trailer. 

I think you'll enjoy this:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20325-score-the-lost-world-jurassic-park-john-williams-a-complete-score-analysis/

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Nope just the baby theme.

It's in Stegasaurus, Spilling Petrol and Horning In, and In The Trailer. 

I think you'll enjoy this:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20325-score-the-lost-world-jurassic-park-john-williams-a-complete-score-analysis/

And in visitor in san diego.

and i still think that in fire at camp, williams uses something similar for kellys reveal.

I found the jazz analogy that Mike Matessino pointed out in the podcast and Maurizio's West Side Story comparrison very interesting.

This is really a very unique work of motion picture score overall, in sound arrangement and performance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Jay said:

Someone made a blend of the normal and alternate versions of Rescuing Sarah and put it on youtube synced to the scene

No matter how many times I hear this cue, those tolling bells for when the two dinosaurs show up is amazing every time.  What a thing to cut for the OST album

Seriously. There are plenty of OST edits where I'm like, Okay, yeah, I prefer to have all the music, but I have to admit it flows better without. This is not one of those times. The entire missing section is superb, and it just gets superb-er with that Gothic passage with the chimes. Spine-tingling.

I actually get why Williams took that section out, the tempo stays more consistent without it.  But yeah, the content of the missing section is so good, it should have overridden that!  Maybe he didn't like the brass performance at the start of the cut section?  Numerous people thought it sounded like something was wrong on the first expansion at that point.

But anyways, the point of the video the guy made wasn't for that missing section, but the way he blended the two tracks together.  Basically bringing the fuzz and groaning synth sounds into the otherwise better performed final version. I thought it came out pretty well!

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I actually get why Williams took that section out, the tempo stays more consistent without it.  But yeah, the content of the missing section is so good, it should have overridden that!  Maybe he didn't like the brass performance at the start of the cut section?  Numerous people thought it sounded like something was wrong on the first expansion at that point.

Maybe he thought the synth tubular bells/chimes sounded too fake? 

I also love this cut section - I even think it's the highlight of the cue! 

• 3 weeks later...

I was thinking of placing a meaty order on SAE as I have a few titles to catch up, but this has disappeared from their website. I checked on LLL and it's showing as out of stock: any idea when this could be back?

Is it just an impression, or it seems that since the recent major issues with replacing defective CDs, specialized labels are printing very few CDs at a time. As a result, after the initial launch, the product quickly goes "out of stock." While it may be easier for them to manage, I wonder if it is for the customer as well. I'm also waiting for this release to come back in stock because I wanted to order it along with another, but in the meantime, the latter has also gone out of stock. It's becoming difficult to manage.

For me it's 100% the shipping cost. If it cost $5 to ship a release I'd have ordered Hook the second it came back in stock. But it doesn't - for non US/Canada customers you're adding at least the cost of an entire second product just to ship the first one. Hence unless it's a personal grail, I'm waiting until I can bundle at least two together. I'm in a round of this game with LLL and Intrada right now.

I'd vastly prefer to pay $5 and purchase 3 or 4 tracks from this new edition of TLW but I'm not able to do that, so in this case my Hook purchase timing is entirely reliant on this coming back (or, if something else I wanted came out soon). It's not ideal for either party, really.

A few years ago that wasn't really a problem. We bundled releases because it was convenient and saved a few $$s as well, but now Americans will pay $7.45 to ship Hook, for example - we internationals will pay $23.

First world problem of course, but ultimately it dictates our buying patterns.

I recently moved from the USA to Europe and it means that where buying limited edition soundtrack CDs used to be a fairly cheap, fun hobby, it's suddenly become very expensive because of those shipping costs. 

Not to mention, sometimes they end up in customs, which can also add costs.  First world problems indeed, but what was once an innocent and fairly cheap appreciation of art has now become an expensive habit. 

• 1 month later...
On 17/09/2023 at 10:55 AM, crumbs said:

One thing I immediately noticed is the loud stage noise in To The Island has been further reduced.

It was very loud on the OST, toned back in the 2016, and now basically inaudible in 2023.

OST:

2016 LLL:

I still feel like this removes lots of the Sony-esque character that these scores tend to have. Sounds like they just brought down the spot and tree levels.