New details on Williams / Ross Dial Of Destiny collaboration via new LA Times article by Tim Greiving

Brando

9 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

There is no way - none - that the large chunks of rerecorded music were written as such by Williams. There are obvious contributions by William Ross.

It's glaringly obvious.

How exactly do you distinguish contributions by William Ross from what Williams has written? Your knowledge on this could end a lot of discussions. 

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

How exactly do you distinguish contributions by William Ross from what Williams has written?

That’s what I was talking about. It’s probable you just can’t anymore. 

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I love how some JW fans think: "if it is quoting an older score, then it was probably done by William Ross". 

Almost every composer in Hollywood likes to borrow from him/herself sometimes (or a lot of times if we're talking about James Horner), and that includes Williams. 

It's not like he went: "Hmm, not sure how I would score this scene... I'll take a look on my sheets from Jurassic Park or Attack of the Clones or whatever, maybe it'll give me some ideas!". I'm not even sure if it is a conscious thing. Perhaps it's just the way his brain works. Some motifs are probably so ingrained into his mindset that he just re-uses them. 

That's one thing. But many of the cues of DoD are not just that. They literally copy/paste bars from previous scores, lifting and juxtaposing cues that have nothing in common, in a rather unnatural way, I might add. It's more than concious: it's the equivalent of parts of Chamber of Secrets being copy/pasted from the previous score. 

59 minutes ago, oierem said:

But many of the cues of DoD are not just that. They literally copy/paste bars from previous scores, lifting and juxtaposing cues that have nothing in common

Maybe Mangold asked that. Or JW did it on purpose because he was, being 91  - sacrilige! - out of ideas, sort of uninspired by the scenes? Or was a little lazy? 

And I agree with @Edmilsonon that film composers do use the same themes and musical phrases from time to time. James Horner, hello? Thomas Newman, hello? 

The sheer amount of music these composers have written during their decades-long career is mindblowing. It's almost impossible NOT to copy yourself if you're a composer for that long. And John Williams is no exception to the rule, either. He is the greatest, but he has his own repetitive style. Heck, his action writing has been almost the same since MINORITY REPORT. And it's not William Ross copying JW. It's JW copying JW. 

Obviously I'd be very interested to know as much as possible about how this score came together but I don't know why Ross wouldn't simply have the ol "Adapted by" credit if he did as much as we're suggesting he did, constructing cues or partial cues himself from old JW scores. 

On 18/11/2023 at 10:38 AM, GerateWohl said:

How exactly do you distinguish contributions by William Ross from what Williams has written? Your knowledge on this could end a lot of discussions. 

Serious?

Ross' job from the very start was adapting. Cues simply adapted from other films are by Ross, original cues are by Williams. It's not difficult.

The other option is Williams' decision to "do it all himself" resulted in him copy-pasting because of his age.

I prefer option 1.

And it's for the better to see it this way, I don't want to think Williams regurgitated his previous scores to that extent himself, that would lessen my opinion on an already dissapointing score.

And based on the score and this interview, there is definitely an element of ego and pride in there that didn't let Williams pass on the project, despite him knowing it probably won't have an ideal result.

The only funny thing here is fans refusing to believe Williams would ask for help scoring nearly 3 hours at 90-something.

58 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Serious?

Ross' job from the very start was adapting. Cues simply adapted from other films are by Ross, original cues are by Williams. It's not difficult.

The other option is Williams' decision to "do it all himself" resulted in him copy-pasting because of his age.

I prefer option 1.

And it's for the better to see it this way, I don't want to think Williams regurgitated his previous scores to that extent himself, that would lessen my opinion on an already dissapointing score.

And based on the score and this interview, there is definitely an element of ego and pride in there that didn't let Williams pass on the project, despite him knowing it probably won't have an ideal result.

The only funny thing here is fans refusing to believe Williams would ask for help scoring nearly 3 hours at 90-something.

I also believe, that might have something to do with temp tracking. And things like the quote of The Imperial March from The Duel of TESB in ROTS sound to me rather like a concious but not very welcome decision to quote this passage. Or all these quote in TROS don't appear to me like Bill Ross' adaptations but requests from the director.

I personally would never claim that I see through all this and know who made which decision and who adapted what.

Totally agree that boiling it down to "Williams purposefully selected all these old cues on his own" or "William Ross was delegated to select these old cues on his own" ignores the music supervisor's choices on the temp and requests from Mangold or Disney based on that.

That's why it'd be interesting to know the thinking behind these which we'll probably never know, but it doesn't really seem like Williams was out of the loop or just left Ross to take care of scenes or random moments. Because he didn't want to? Ran out of time?

I'm more inclined to guess Mangold and the music supervisor temped stuff in and Mangold had an opinion or pet favorites, especially in the opening where the attempt was to hearken back to the original trilogy. And Williams either doesn't care to have these arguments or he's less inclined to think outside the box when asked for "same but different" on, say, the Minority Report or Tintin similarities. Besides previous instances of actual copy-paste, it's also certainly not the first time a temp would have affected his scores, but the difference lately is it seems to be entirely his own music, at least if the Indy 5 temp went the same route as Last Jedi. The "Helena's Theme" anecdote shows he'll go his own way if it matters to him. 

But it seems entirely speculative how much creative input Ross himself had in terms of adaptation scoring. Could be a lot, a little, none.

There's a lot of truth to what @TolkienSSsays and it's our ego and love for JW that won't allow us to give it any credit. I, just as much as anyone else, want to believe that Williams wrote every note of DoD. But I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out that it wasn't the case. I guess only those involved with the creation of the score and close to Williams know the truth. Maybe it's better not to know and believe it's just him. Williams is not Zimmer after all. But for many, knowing the truth is better than believing a lie. As for myself, until a new evidence emerges that some of the cues were written by Ross, I'm believing it's all Williams. Maybe I'm naïve, but I don't want to accuse my favorite film composer of anything until proven guilty.

20 minutes ago, JTW said:

There's a lot of truth to what @TolkienSSsays and it's our ego and love for JW that won't allow us to give it any credit. I, just as much as anyone else, want to believe that Williams wrote every note of DoD.

Of course, that's what most discussion here is built on. You want to believe Williams wrote everything, and that there's some intelligent creative reason for all the direct lifts from older scores. You have to be willing to admit to yourself that Williams is in his 90s, needs some help and yes, potentially gets a bit lazy if the schedule or something else is pushing.

I've had similar thoughts with other huge scores where a section doesn't quite seem to have the freshness that other parts have, and I wonder whether the realities of composing many minutes of music per day just got a bit too much on that particular day. I can think of a few sequences from RotK that fits that perfectly.

Dial of Destiny was John Williams' biggest mistake in an almost impeccable career.

May it be his duty, ego, or pride, he put a blemish on a near ideal end of his film career.

History is chock full of great men and artists who held on for too long. Williams shouldnt be one of them.

2 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Dial of Destiny was John Williams' biggest mistake in an almost impeccable career.

May it be his duty, ego, or pride, he put a blemish on a near ideal end of his film career.

History is chock full of great men and artists who held on for too long. Williams shouldnt be one of them.

Wow! :unsure:

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

The "Helena's Theme" anecdote shows he'll go his own way if it matters to him

Helena's Theme is clearly the sort of music Williams wants to be composing nowadays - concert material essentially. Chaotic Indy Action Sequence #15 may not be high on the list of things he finds interesting to do nowadays, and my personal view is that it shows. If Mangold selected the lifts from the other films, it may be a combination of Williams not wanting to have that fight, and maybe just being happy that there goes another couple of minutes of complicated score he doesn't have to write.

Or put it this way: Williams at 90 something has the same work ethic as other composers half his age - do your best, and when the schedule, workload and related factors makes things a bit tricky (in their case, due to the amount of work they take on, and in JW's case... age), turn to trusted colleagues to help finish it.

1 hour ago, JTW said:

While I myself don’t agree with @TolkienSSthis time about DoD being the biggest mistake of John Williams’ career, I would like to ask everyone to stop being personal towards TolkienSS. He, just like anyone else, has the right to his opinion, and just because you disagree with him, it doesn’t give you the right to offend him. It’s immature and rude. Let’s talk about what he was talking about, not about him. Thank you very much.

It's ok, I don't read any of it. Just read OP and posted my opinion.

Williams had a graceful full circle final bow with the Spielberg movie.

But he felt obligated to take on Indiana Jones because of his legacy. And while the delays ended up making DoD his last film score, the terrible production issues took a big toll on the score, and it ended up as Williams' unfortunate swan song.

Franchises Williams has scored will go on without him, and I think he has to come to terms with that; and maybe accept that the music for them after him will be a much greater comment on his work than had he himself scored them.

53 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

And while the delays ended up making DoD his last film score

You don't know that for sure. Spielberg could make another film and Williams, if he's still fit, can write the score to it.

the terrible production issues took a big toll on the score, and it ended up as Williams' unfortunate swan song.

Possibly, but a lot of people on this forum disagree with that. I personally don't think that DoD is his unfortunate swan song. It's not Williams' fault that the film turned out the way it did. Yes, his ego or vanity made him do the score, but I'd rather take a so-so JW Indiana Jones score than a Giacchino, Zimmer or Balfe IJ score. Williams at 91, tired and somewhat uninspired is 100 times better than Giacchino, Zimmer and Balfe on their best day combined. 

Franchises Williams has scored will go on without him

They have gone on for decades (Jaws, Superman, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park) and he came to terms with it a long time ago. 

I hope that he can write another score, because to me he is the greatest film composer of all time, and anything he writes is a gift, even if it's not as good as the scores he wrote in his prime. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Possibly, but a lot of people on this forum disagree with that. I personally don't think that DoD is his unfortunate swan song. It's not Williams' fault that the film turned out the way it did. 

No, it's not his fault that it turned out the way it did, but it did turn out the way it did.

The state of Lucasfilm was known, and Williams could have known.

And well, he probably did know because scoring DoD was NOT his first choice.

We're talking about John Williams' career end in film scoring. It may be, it may not be.

But Williams deserves an end to his career where he's only compared to himself.

Do you really want to say about John Williams' last score(s) "at least it's better than Lorne Balfe"? Or wouldn't you rather go "that's a great end to the story of his career"?

I'd rather have John Williams' final contributions to film scoring be about his story than about a misguided obligation to franchise IPs.

Come on, we could talk about John Williams' swan song being a light and soulful score to a Steven Spielberg biopic. Instead, we're here talking about whether Dial Of Destiny is even all Williams.

Difficult to control these things, you know. Sometimes, you're lucky and end with a TAXI DRIVER. Other times, you're unlucky and end up with a LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION.

DIAL OF DESTINY is a fairly OK ender, if it is indeed the ender.

On 18/11/2023 at 3:42 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

William Ross in the Shadows.gif

Unrelated, but that guy in the bottom left is either an uncredited Frank Marshall, or some guy that looks exactly like Frank Marshall.

10 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Come on, we could talk about John Williams' swan song being a light and soulful score to a Steven Spielberg biopic. Instead, we're here talking about whether Dial Of Destiny is even all Williams.

I am not discussing if every note was written by Williams or not.  But you do. And even if every note in the score was written or adapted by John Williams himself some people would still discuss it. And people would still discuss the adapted cues and claim, like you do, they knew which ones were created by Williams and which not.

And that has nothing to do with Williams and his legacy but with the people aiming for such discussions.

19 hours ago, TolkienSS said:

Do you really want to say about John Williams' last score(s) "at least it's better than Lorne Balfe"?

No I don’t, but it’s his career and he decides what movie he wants to score and not even he has control over his own creativity. He could have stopped at MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA, now that would have been a great swan song. But I’m glad he didn’t, because he has since written ‘Rey’s Theme’ which has become one of my favorite JW themes. 

At the end of the day I believe it doesn’t matter what his last score is. All that matters is his body of work. 

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

even if every note in the score was written or adapted by John Williams himself some people would still discuss it.

Like people have been discussing for 21 years who wrote what in Chamber of Secrets. 

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

the people aiming for such discussions.

To which they have all the right without being mocked and ridiculed by others. After all @TolkienSSisn’t saying that JW is a pedophile or that he sexually abused Daisy Ridley (he wishes - Joking!!!). 

I agree, that it’s not elegant, let’s put it that way, to “accuse” John Williams of something nobody has any evidence of. 
And yes, of all the places, let’s not accuse JW of copying or plagiarizing or using ghosts here. I’m not angry with anyone who does, but I don’t find it elegant. It’s something they should do on the Hans Zimmer forum. ;-) 

Anyway, let’s stop talking about John Williams’ swan song and William Ross, and let’s try to focus on John Williams who at almost 92 is still working hard probably at this very instant composing a new work. And ain’t that a miracle all by itself? I believe it is. And I give thanks for it.

5 hours ago, JTW said:

And yes, of all the places, let’s not accuse JW of copying or plagiarizing or using ghosts. I’m not angry with anyone who does, but I don’t find it elegant. It’s something they should do on the Hans Zimmer forum. ;-) 

Anyway, let’s stop talking about John Williams’ swan song and William Ross, and let’s try to focus on John Williams who at almost 92 is still working hard probably at this very instant composing a new work. And ain’t that a miracle all by itself? I believe it is. And I give thanks for it.

Huh?

There is an article posted talking about William Ross here, why not talk about it?

There are large and obvious chunks of tracking/rerecording in the score, so either JW did that himself, or someone adapted it for him. Nothing more, nothing less. 

There are only these two possibilities. 

And it's an obvious and fair question to ask who did it.

Are you suggesting to stop talking because it gets in a direction that's unpopular?

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

Are you suggesting to stop talking because it gets in a direction that's unpopular?

All I'm suggesting, if anything, is to start being decent and not offend those on this forum who are some of the biggest fans of John Williams and might feel hurt by their favorite film composer being accused of not having written a score they love and there is absolutely no proof that he didn't write all of it.