John Williams receives 54th Oscar nomination for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny!

crumbs

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's also the only Oscar nomination for Dial of Destiny :lol:

ha!

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

And soon, the only person to lose 49 times!

Ha!

9 minutes ago, Alex said:

Karpman or JW for me. It will be Goransson though.

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, Damien F said:

That was a nice surprise. I wasn't expecting that.

At first (last summer), I thought given it is John Williams, he will get the nom. Then after the film flopped and there was no mention at the Golden Globes, I was sure he would not get a nomination. But actually, starting last week, I had an inkling that maybe he would. 

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It also means JW gets to lose for the 49th time!

He's happy just to be nominated... ?

Nice! Almost sure he won't win, but it'll be nice to see him in the crowd -and hopefully he'll get a shout-out from the host as well.

5 minutes ago, phbart said:

The cool thing is that, even at 91, he'll probably attend the cerimony as he always does, even knowing he's not going to win.

Why is it cool? Except for seeing him wearing a tux again, losing again, for the 49th time, 30 years in a row. He should get a participation Oscar alone. The man is the living embodiment of optimism. “I’ve lost 29 times in a row, but 30th time’s the charm!” 

20 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Williams beating his own records for the oldest person to ever be Oscar-nominated and the most nominations for a living person 

If he actually won the award, then it would probably mean something. 

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

Why is it cool? Except for seeing him wearing a tux again, losing again, for the 49th time, 30 years in a row. He should get a participation Oscar alone. The man is the living embodiment of optimism. “I’ve lost 29 times in a row, but 30th time’s the charm!” 

Which he takes it very graciously every time, apparently.

You all were doubting John Williams? He's John freakin Williams. Of course he was going to be nominated. If it turns out to be his last score? His peers weren't going to disrespect him. 

Of course he was always pencilled in but he'd been snubbed for both Crystal Skull and The BFG, that was my thinking. Dial of Destiny fit that mold. 

My three thoughts:

1) I am happy to see him nominated

2) I Love Williams, but I have a feeling it will be Ludwig Goransson 

3) I am just REALLY glad that, unlike the Grammy's, John Williams isn't going again the soundtrack from Barbie.

I haven’t been a fan of Göransson in the past and thought his Oscar win for black panther was underserved, but Oppenheimer is actually a  good score. I hope JW wins though.

Who know Williams might win an Oscar he doesn't deserve for once .

Career nod/old person  thing I hope. Like they did for Ennio

And that would make this award even more irrelevant. Not giving it to him for ESB, Raiders, RotJ, ToD, EOtS, TLC, Home Alone, Hook, FaA, SPR, Amistad, TPM, AI, CMIYC, MoaG, Munich, Lincoln, TFA, but giving it for DoD. 

7 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Who know Williams might win an Oscar he doesn't deserve for once .

Career nod/old person  thing I hope. Like they did for Ennio

I fear it'll be more like, "old male of talent needs to make way for replaceable digital upstart."

I think it's also because it's the score for Dial of Destiny.  If it has been like TFA where the film and score are generally well received then there would be a lot less backlash.  DOD very much feels like an obligatory nomination.