John Williams Interview with Associated Press (June 23, 2022)

TownerFan

“I’d love to be around in 100 years to see what people are doing with film and sound and spatial, aural and visual effects. It has a tremendous future, I think. I can sense great possibility and great future in the atmospherics of the whole experience. I’d love to come back and see and hear it all.”

Yeah, maybe that is the time we have to wait until there is going to be a true great revival of film music.

5 minutes ago, artguy360 said:

He mentions a new piano concerto he's working on that I haven't heard mentioned before.

I was first aware of it when it was mentioned in the NY Times profile back in February, there was some discussion of it then in the thread for that article.

Singapore? Only a few more hours on the plane and he could be in Australia (I can dream).

Seriously, though - I'll be booking flights if it really happens.

37 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

No, it says "50 years of collaboration".

Mixup. I meant to say: The article claims that they've made 30 films together, counting Fabelmans and the new Indy.

7 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Mixup. I meant to say: The article claims that they've made 30 films together, counting Fabelmans and the new Indy.

They're cheating! Indy 5 isn't a Spielberg film! 

Makes you wonder if John's treating it like one though... 

Also, Singapore?! 

The Fabelmans will be their 29th feature film collaboration right?

1. The Sugarland Express
  2. Jaws
  3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  4. 1941
  5. Raiders of the Lost Ark
  6. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
  7. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  8. Empire of the Sun
  9. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  10. Always
  11. Hook
  12. Jurassic Park
  13. Schindler’s List
  14. The Lost World: Jurassic Park
  15. Amistad
  16. Saving Private Ryan
  17. A.I. Artificial Intelligence
  18. Minority Report
  19. Catch Me If You Can
  20. The Terminal
  21. War of the Worlds
  22. Munich
  23. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  24. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
  25. War Horse 
  26. Lincoln
  27. The BFG
  28. The Post
  29. The Fabelmans

I guess 30 makes sense if you count American Journey / The Unfinished Journey

Or, if as indicated, they thought Indiana Jones 5 was a Spielberg film when it isn't.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

They're cheating! Indy 5 isn't a Spielberg film! 

Makes you wonder if John's treating it like one though... 

Indy 5 is something of a gray area, as I do believe this is the first time JW is scoring a film produced but not directed by Spielberg.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Indy 5 is something of a gray area, as I do believe this is the first time JW is scoring a film produced but not directed by Spielberg.

Memoirs of a Geisha was also produced by Spielberg

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Memoirs of a Geisha was also produced by Spielberg

2 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

And another movie that started as a Spielberg directing project

So I guess the real question is: is Indy 5 their 31st or 32nd collaboration? ;) 

Great point.  Either both Memoirs and Indy 5 count or neither does

Personally I'd say Ghost Train and The Mission count!  (And American Journey)

So... 34 collaborations?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Or, if as indicated, they thought Indiana Jones 5 was a Spielberg film when it isn't.

Yes, they're clearly counting Indy. It sounds like the writer is under the impression that it's a "Spielberg film" (as in: directed by). Which means that I don't consider such details mentioned in the article but not shown as a direct quote from JW unreliable.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

LOL did Williams just announce Ford's retirement for him?

I read that as Williams saying this is Ford's last Indy film.  But, Ford has not publicly said that either, in which case, Williams knows Indy dies in V and just gave away a huge spoiler.   

1 hour ago, aviazn said:

Just to point out that this is not a Washington Post story; it’s from the Associated Press, syndicated on the Post’s website. Here’s the original:

https://apnews.com/article/john-williams-indiana-jones-star-wars-music-af541b3979fd6c0ea624bb200c322f42

Agree that Singapore and Lisbon are mistakes on AP’s part and refer to tribute concerts without JW’s participation. Looks like this is the SG concert and this is the Lisbon one.

If that is indeed the Lisbon concert, do avoid it at all costs! I attended a performance by this so called "Hollywood Symphony" in 2020 and it was really bad.

We might be in the situation where Williams' last score is composed in 2022 and his last Academy Award was won nearly 30 years before: that really makes me sad.

It would be nice to see JW score one more Spielberg-directed theatrical film after Fabelmans to make it an indisputable 30 director/composer collabs. But there is already a beautiful poignancy to appreciate about their professional relationship if their last collab is the Spielberg semi-biographical Fabelmans—even if Spielberg should someday direct a film and JW declines to score it or, God forbid, is not around any longer to score it. It’d be hard to come up with a more poetic conclusion.

As far as I’m concerned, two Spielberg-produced films that were originally supposed to be directed by same count as one Spielberg-directed movie. Which means with Indy5, they made it to 30. 

1 hour ago, ciarlese said:

We might be in the situation where Williams' last score is composed in 2022 and his last Academy Award was won nearly 30 years before: that really makes me sad.

The same happened to Herrmann, Rózsa, and Goldsmith. 

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I have to say, this interview sure doesn't make it sound like JW is done with film scoring.

Done with non-Spielberg films, yes. But based on what he says here, I'd be pretty shocked if the next Spielberg historical drama doesn't have a JW score. Fingers crossed! :) 

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone still got that @artyjeffrey cartoon of JW in the hot tub with a couple babes?

Wow, it looks like he posted all his art on outside webhosters instead of uploading to JWFan so they are all gone :(

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16515-the-totally-official-artyjeffrey-thread/

13 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Anyone still got that @artyjeffrey cartoon of JW in the hot tub with a couple babes?

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow, it looks like he posted all his art on outside webhosters instead of uploading to JWFan so they are all gone :(

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/16515-the-totally-official-artyjeffrey-thread/

image.jpeg

I saved my favorites back in the day, I can upload them on the artyjeffrey thread. Hope he won't mind.

EDIT: Oh topic's closed. Idk where you want em or if I should make another thread.