The La-La Land Black Friday 2023 thread

56 minutes ago, MedigoScan said:

I will just say I want a JP3 expansion solely for the film mixes and the pteranodon cage cue.

TBH I'm fully expecting for an expansion to only have the intended cage cue because I'm very on the fence about whether it's entirely editorial, and if it is, whether the producer would choose or even be able to include it.

I'll be happy with just a C&C, good-sounding expansion. If it has that cue... perfection.

I personally think Jurassic World is better than Jurassic Park III and Dominion is at least more entertaining than Fallen Kingdom. Both of the latter two are profoundly stupid, but Fallen Kingdom is mostly just boring while Dominion has some serious so bad it’s good energy.

11 hours ago, Stark said:

I’m not really expecting JPIII because we just got Lost World, but I’d be happy to be wrong.

Didn't LLL release expansions for all 4 Superman scores in less than a year?

Maybe JP3 being in the pipeline is what triggered those JP and TLW reissues, to get them back in print before JP3.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Didn't LLL release expansions for all 4 Superman scores in less than a year?

Maybe JP3 being in the pipeline is what triggered those JP and TLW reissues, to get them back in print before JP3.

I’m happy to be wrong!

Honestly I have never listened to the Jurassic Park 3 score album but I would absolutely buy a complete score album of it and also as  massive Harry Potter fan and as someone who loves all 8 potter scores I really hope we can get Goblet of fire, Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, and Deathly Hallows Part 1 & 2 complete soon I adore the JW Box set but that was 2018 I'm ready for the other 5 to get expanded. Also I saw the Half-Blood Price live concert last night and OMG there is so much great stuff not on the album. Also agree or disagree OST albums are getting better at representing the score as a whole even if not complete 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

Someone with more industry knowledge correct me, but any Harry Potter sequels are humstrung by WB, right?

The last we heard is that WB scores are off the table. The studio is no longer working with the labels, under their current management.

Which is hardly surprising considering some of the decisions that studio has been making lately.

According to MV they were looking into some "amazing titles" with WB before they were shut down (he said the same for Fox).

5 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

I thought they announced the black friday titles on monday last year? I seem to remember working on the west coast last year before Thanksgiving when they announced Amistad and Godfather. 

They always announced them on Thanksgiving as far back as I remember. I don't recall them breaking from that tradition last year 🤔

Regardless though, they're doing it at 9PM PST on Thanksgiving this year.

Fallen Kingdom may be the 2nd dumbest JP movie ever, but I still love the score.

Not that I am in any rush to demand an expansion from any of the JW trilogy movies.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

The last we heard is that WB scores are off the table. The studio is no longer working with the labels, under their current management.

Which is hardly surprising considering some of the decisions that studio has been making lately.

According to MV they were looking into some "amazing titles" with WB before they were shut down (he said the same for Fox).

Wouldn't it be beautiful if someone with power could just tell WB to get their shit together and just sign off on every fucking thing LLL wanted to do? Wouldn't it be even more beautiful if I stopped caring about it?

2 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

Fallen Kingdom may be the 2nd dumbest JP movie ever, but I still love the score.

Not that I am in any rush to demand an expansion from any of the JW trilogy movies.

I'm probably alone in rather enjoying FK the film. I thought the first movie was far more dumb.

JP/// is dumb and illogical too, but I like the action sequences and it's a short film. Johnston also had a good sense for a few sequences which didn't need music. I'm very glad he dropped 'Clash of Extinction' as I don't think it's a very good cue and I wish Davis hadn't put that at the end of the album in place of the actual ending of the score.

I'm also not in any rush to ask for official expansions of Gia's 3 scores. The third album feels so comprehensive that I can't imagine anything very significant being left off, and the first two are out there anyway.

40 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, it’s been an email at 3am in my local time on Black Friday.  I would wake up to it the next day.

If my calculations are correct, it'll be 6 AM when the reveal happens. I won't get up for it.

i'm so pumped already!

i'm kinda hoping for The Terminal, but not only for the music, but would love to see the cover Titus comes up with. Not a fan of the OST cover.  It's like sloppy minimalism.  The shadow of Hanks luggage is weird and the typography is poorly aligned.

Makes it 5am in the UK. My first alarm of the day is 7.30am (I like snoozing, a lot) so that's when I'll find out!

The next question is how to find out. Obviously JWFan will eventually have dedicated threads per-release but I wouldn't expect that two hours after announcement, so maybe LLL's FB and their usual photo montage. You can't find out by just reading excited fans in mid flow, randomly naming a score... that's just uncinematic :P 

Oh I'm subscribed to that. I mean, the best way of doing the 'big reveal' when you wake up. Given that this is the first time they're putting them up to order immediately, we don't know if a newsletter will go out at the same time.

Plus their usual Christmassy, classy montage is more fun.

On 19/11/2023 at 8:41 PM, OneBuckFilms said:

I'll be very happy if JP3 was in the list to accompany JP 1 and 2.

I'm often very pleasantly surprised with LLLR's Black Friday releases.

Very little will top the year Star Trek V was released.

My favorite LLL Black Friday release still is the Lethal Weapon box set. That was a shocker for me.

For me, the budget for CDs is limited in this peculiar year-end dominated by inflation and the numerous increases in the central bank interest rate of the Bank of Canada. I will also need to make choices...