The La-La Land Black Friday 2023 thread

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I have a fear that, due to Elfman's recent controversies, this will be the last year we'll get expansions from his scores in a while. So, if we don't get Spider-Man 2 in 2023, we may not get it at all :(

You think the labels would cancel one of their best selling composers?

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

You think the labels would cancel one of their best selling composers?

I hope not, but depending of what will happen to Elfman, they may fear the backlash.

10 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Has Elfman had any upcoming assignments cancelled in the wake of the accusations?

Not so far... He even seems to be still onboard for Beetlejuice 2. But we don't know how it will evolve.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Has Elfman had any upcoming assignments cancelled in the wake of the accusations?

He mentioned he was scoring a film called The Actor a few months ago. Radio silence since then.

If he had been dropped from any scoring assignments I wouldn't be completely shocked, as the same happens to actors if they are accused of something due to the usual PR reasons.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if any expansion plans were shelved or cancelled though. It's a private matter for Elfman.

58 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh dear. It really is everywhere isn't it?

Always has been, but men used to be better at covering it up (or not having to because people simply didn't care).

Well in Danny’s case it really does sound like he wasn’t being creepy at all though. He just turned down the advances of a crazy person and she wanted revenge. At least, that was my impression when I last looked into this a few months ago.

42 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Well in Danny’s case it really does sound like he wasn’t being creepy at all though. He just turned down the advances of a crazy person and she wanted revenge. At least, that was my impression when I last looked into this a few months ago.

A second woman came forward with accusations:

15 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I hope not, but depending of what will happen to Elfman, they may fear the backlash.

Or the studios could refuse to licence his music to the labels. Then again our little niche is so tiny it may not even register if they were to allow further licences.

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Well then it MUST be true. 

Do we really think people are wanting to destroy some film composer's career just out of spite? Who cares about Elfman in the bigger scheme of things?

EDIT: Just realised you might not have been sarcastic at all, sorry.

59 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just realised you might not have been sarcastic at all, sorry.

I was. Until Elfman is found guilty, it's a mere witch-hunt in order to extort money from a famous film composer and to destroy his life and career. 

If a relationship has gone south and someone wants some payback, definitely.

We're drifting off topic. I'd hope that in the last 15 years Elfman has cooled and made up with Raimi and might be open to Spidey 3. It's an annoying case where the various leaks have nearly everything from the film, but not quite.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Witch hunt? Isn't it more like a wizard hunt?

Were wizards burned at the stake in The Middle Ages as well? 

One man I know of is Giordano Bruno, but I don't think he was considered a "wizard" per se, but a heretic.

You can call it a witchhunt, but these kinds of witches actually exist.

That said when it involves someone I dont know personally and also whose work I like, I am naturally inclined to hope he is innocent.

Elfman’s career likely hasn’t taken a significant hit - he’s still playing sold out shows, including one shortly after the second credible accusation.  Louis CK got in trouble for doing the same thing (and more regularly than what Elfman has been accused of at this point) and he’s still doing his thing.

Apparently Elfman’s just hoping to publicly ignore it (except for the very cringey PR spin for the release of his new website).  I’d suspect that the only thing that would stop the labels from releasing Elfman scores is if they release scores that underperform in some way that is traceable to these accusations.

History has ALSO shown that false accusations occur, and often enough to form a pattern.

Whenever these things happen, there is a lot of accusations and little evidence at first.

It takes time a diligence to get to the truth, and we have to err on the side of caution lest we make an error in either party's direction.

This is why we have a presumption of innocence.

22 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

"Innocent until proven guilty" goes both ways. Also, it's an inaccurate phrase, because if A has indeed assaulted B, he's obviously guilty of it since the moment of the assault. He doesn't *become* guilty by being *proven* guilty, he should just not be strictly assumed to be guilty without evidence. Until then, the situation is unresolved (Schrödinger's cat, if you will).

Considered to be innocent and having the legal rights and privileges of an innocent person until proven otherwise?

"he should just not be strictly assumed to be guilty without evidence" -- Without evidence he should not be loosely assumed to be guilty either.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

"he should just not be strictly assumed to be guilty without evidence" -- Without evidence he should not be loosely assumed to be guilty either.

But neither should the other party.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah but I'm talking about your avatar changing daily to match ;)

No idea.

We all have our wish lists...

My ideal would be the Indiana Jones scores complete and properly mastered (correct speed for example). Problem is it's Disney Records (based on the reissues of the Concord releases in some markets).

You definitely made me chuckle @Bellosh ROTFLMAObut I'm curious which remaining Goldsmith @ 20th Century Fox scores you are most hoping for to get expanded/remastered in that LLL series (which to be fair they do claim is still ongoing). Personally, I'd love the missing music from Shock Treatment more than anything, and that great score deserves to be back in print since the Intrada has been unavailable for so long. I'd also love the missing film cues from Justine, but I imagine that would get a standalone (not in the Goldsmith@20th series) expansion with the unique album recording, because the latter is owned by Universal Music.

Yavar

4 hours ago, Jay said:

And we got Amistad…