John Williams receives 54th Oscar nomination for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny!

crumbs

I feel like our beloved Maestro’s last shots at an Oscar were Geisha, War Horse and Lincoln. He totally would have deserved all three, but since he didn’t, a sequel score like Dial of Destiny was already dead in the water.

I feel like our beloved Maestro’s last shots at an Oscar were Geisha, War Horse and Lincoln. He totally would have deserved all three, but since he didn’t, a sequel score like Dial of Destiny was already dead in the water.

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

Alas, Oppenheimer won. Don’t think Williams is even there - they didn’t do a split screen of all the nominees, and when someone who won earlier shouted out Williams as an inspiration, they never showed him for one of those classic “reaction shots”.

I don't think Williams was there this year. First time he misses the Oscars. I hope he's ok.

10 minutes ago, Foxfan said:

I feel like our beloved Maestro’s last shots at an Oscar were Geisha, War Horse and Lincoln.

And The Force Awakens. 

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I don't think Williams was there this year. First time he misses the Oscars. I hope he's ok.

I’m sure he’s fine. He’s said in recent interviews that he doesn’t find these long award shows that fun anymore, that they used to be more natural and entertaining, and has acknowledged that along with his record number of nominations are a great deal of losses. He probably just didn’t want to sit through three-plus hours of fanfare after being to so many of these over the years.

If he actually wasn't there and finally decided he'd had enough, it's honestly amazing he made it this far lmfao

I don't wanna read too much into these things but all his quotes really feel like turning 90 has done a number on him, in terms of reprioritizing everything about his life and career. He doesn't have six months to spare for your dumb movie, he can't afford to waste a day for the ol Oscar show. He's on Johnny Time now. 

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

If he actually wasn't there and finally decided he'd had enough, it's honestly amazing he made it this far lmfao

I don't wanna read too much into these things but all his quotes really feel like turning 90 has done a number on him, in terms of reprioritizing everything about his life and career. He doesn't have six months to spare for your dumb movie, he can't afford to waste a day for the ol Oscar show. He's on Johnny Time now. 

I kind of feel like that and I haven't even hit fifty.

3 hours ago, Foxfan said:

The Post was his most "modern sounding" in recent years.

1 hour ago, Steve said:

The oscars are a farce. Who gives a damn sh.t? Invitations from the leading orchestras are much more important than all this academy awards bs. I doubt the Oppenheimer composer will ever conduct the Berlin Philharmonic (does he even conduct himself?).

It can't be said better than this!

17 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Well he wasn't going to win for Daddy-o.

He should have!

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

At this point JW's only gonna die from a heart attack when he wins his 6th oscar.

He'll be more machine than man by then.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

At this point JW's only gonna die from a heart attack when he wins his 6th oscar.

Harry Potter Animation GIF

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The Post was his most "modern sounding" in recent years.

Right. But even the term "modern" is an old fashioned one in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Did you guys seriously think he was going to win for The Dial of Destiny??

Not really.  I just said, DoD was the best score, not that it is going to win.

I wonder how many scores from the past 3 decades have been referenced in an Oscars ceremony outside the year in which their film was released?

There's never a shortage of references to scores from decades ago but can anyone seriously picture a recent Best Score winner being referenced in an Oscars ceremony moving forward?

7 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Did you guys seriously think he was going to win for The Dial of Destiny??

Actually yes, after I saw that Variety article ... they could have honoured, for one last time before it's over, traditional Hollywood craftsmanship at the very least, and the oldest ever nominated personality. (if that is true?) I tried to forget about the hype around freshness, youth, and Oscar sweepers to believe in it...

We even made it a point to stay up late and watch the whole thing, something I haven't done since over 30 years (Schindler year!) and probably never will ever again.

I adored the Japanese folk, honestly and quite sympathetically accepting a trophy for Godzilla and the surprising but well-deserved nod to Miyazaki. (a Williams situation right there) ... and we even watched these two fine movies with our daughter at the earliest screenings possible here in Austria.

10 hours ago, rpvee said:

Alas, Oppenheimer won. Don’t think Williams is even there - they didn’t do a split screen of all the nominees, and when someone who won earlier shouted out Williams as an inspiration, they never showed him for one of those classic “reaction shots”.

They didn't show any of the others either though, only Göransson once he was announced as the winner. (Granted, we can be pretty sure that Robertson wasn't there… but I'd assume at least one of the others was).

5 hours ago, Steve said:

I doubt the Oppenheimer composer will ever conduct the Berlin Philharmonic (does he even conduct himself?).

None of that is relevant for a film score award.

4 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

The question if a music score is worthy a musical life on its own apart from the picture is relevant for a film score award. Otherwise, how do you explain Fame winning over The Empire Strikes Back?

I guess, nowadays it plays a role, that the Oppenheimer score may sound better via the build-in loudspeakers of mobile phones than Williams complex orchestra. 

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The question if a music score is worthy a musical life on its own apart from the picture is relevant for a film score award.

Only to a certain extent. It is of course highly relevant for a *music* award. But 1) a score doesn't have to be the best music (or even good music) when divorced from the film to be the best at supporting its picture.

And 2) Philip Glass has never conducted the Berlin Philharmonic, and he doesn't conduct himself either, and yet he's rightfully considered one of the greats - and now I'm talking about music in general, not just film music. So even for that these things are not required.

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Otherwise, how do you explain Fame winning over The Empire Strikes Back?

I don't.

17 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Only to a certain extent. It is of course highly relevant for a *music* award. But 1) a score doesn't have to be the best music (or even good music) when divorced from the film to be the best at supporting its picture.

First, to a certain extent this is a music award. And secondly, in the end it is up to the academy members if they vote based on their personal musical taste or on their preference on musicals or Drama scores or on the originality of musical sound effects. I guess, there is no fixed catalogue of criteria that people are obliged to follow on their vote. For the nomination maybe yes.

But not for the final vote on the winner. 

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

And The Force Awakens. 

I don't want to live in the world where The Force Awakens has an Oscar and The Empire Strikes Back does not.

So did the Maestro just lose his last Oscar?

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes I never said so. I said for a composer it is more rewarding to be invited to conduct the best orchestras rather than receiving an overhyped award. 

This might be a little unpopular, but: If The Maestro didn't win for Dial, I am at least glad Ludwig did win.

After the First season of The Mandolorian, there was a special about the Music of the series, and Ludwig did a hat tip to the Maestro when discussing how to went about composing the music for it.

I would have been OK with Robbie Robertson won as well.

I am more disappointed about Best Song.  I thought "The Fire Inside" , "It Never Went Away", and "Wahzhazhe (A Song for My People)" were VASTLY superior to anything Barbie produced.

Also of note I just saw this.  From the Wikipedia Article for The Music of "Killers of the Flower Moon"

Tim Greiving of the Los Angeles Times wrote that "Robertson's contribution is an astonishing and lively musical ecosystem that gives immediate authenticity to Scorsese's equally vivid presentation of Osage life and culture in 1920s Oklahoma. It's music that proudly worships and dances with these people — and alternately weeps for their oppression, at times sounding almost sick at their treatment by the story's white predators." He also called the soundtrack "the best music Robertson ever wrote for the screen."

I think we know the quote giver...

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killers_of_the_Flower_Moon_(soundtrack)

Robbed for Thomas and the King! If only it had made it to Broadway :pfft:

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder how many scores from the past 3 decades have been referenced in an Oscars ceremony outside the year in which their film was released?

There's never a shortage of references to scores from decades ago but can anyone seriously picture a recent Best Score winner being referenced in an Oscars ceremony moving forward?

Going back THREE decades, The Lion King, Titanic, and Lord of the Rings are the only winners that stand out to me as film scores "in the pantheon" 

La La Land is probably the most recent one that could be broadly accepted as a movie famous for its original music. I'm not quite sure what its shelf life has been but I think it's still a solid namedrop or something you could play at the Oscars. Pretty much any snippet from "Epilogue" would do. 

Pocahontas for its song melodies. Up qualifies too.

There are a few others I think you could make arguments for but you're getting into deep cut territory away from something EVERYONE would recognize. Most of John Williams's nominations in the last 30 years would fall into this category as an Oscar winning score, including Memoirs of a Geisha which wouldn't stick out any more than Atonement does.

Not to incite a riot, but I think you could reasonably list off The Social Network in an Original Score introduction and I think enough people watching would get why. But only certain types of cinephiles would remember a score piece if you used it in a montage or something. It's not really music for an awards ceremony lol. 

Shakespeare in Love's theme used to be an Oscar staple but haven't heard them whip it out in awhile. Probably forgotten now. Actually I'm realizing it has the Harvey Weinstein stink so it must be buried for good. 

He might not have won the Oscar, but who needs a crummy piece of metal shaped like a nondescript fellow anyway? He has a whole building named in his honour, I'd say that beats an Oscar.

17 hours ago, Damien F said:

I'm actually relieved JW didn't win because the online backlash from the Oppenheimer fans would have been immense. 

Not me. Someone's gotta show them who's boss.

2 hours ago, Giftheck said:

He might not have won the Oscar, but who needs a crummy piece of metal shaped like a nondescript fellow anyway? He has a whole building named in his honour, I'd say that beats an Oscar.

To honour his second win, his hometown in Sweden, Linköping, has just announced plans to christen this the "Ludwig Goransson Ice Rink"...

IMG_3978.jpeg

18 hours ago, King Mark said:

If memory serves, he missed the 2000 ceremony (nominated for Angela's Ashes, lost to Corigliano's masterpiece The Red Violin).

22 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

If memory serves, he missed the 2000 ceremony (nominated for Angela's Ashes, lost to Corigliano's masterpiece The Red Violin).

Is it really a masterpiece, though?

5 hours ago, TJH132 said:

JW did get a shout out from a winner.  Better than nothing.

I'm assuming you're referring to "Last repair shop" award, right? (The video isn't showing for me).

Honestly, that kind of praise, someone expressing how one has touched one's life, is the highest kind of prize.