The Official La-La Land Records Thread

robthehand

25 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’ve long wondered why The Paper Chase never got a nice new edition (while its FSM disc partner The Poseidon Adventure has, somewhat understandably, been released multiple times since).

Yavar

And they could include that longish cue from Conrack while they're at it. Perhaps some sfx minimising can be done with the rest of the score that only exists in music+ effects stem form. Or they could just dump it on there in archival quality for the completists. Heck I'd buy it just to get decent cover artwork for these two scores.

2 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

And they could include that longish cue from Conrack while they're at it. Perhaps some sfx minimising can be done with the rest of the score that only exists in stem form.

By the time they get to it, we will just be able to extract it ourselves with AI ;)

Just now, Signals said:

By the time they get to it, we will just be able to extract it ourselves with AI ;)

Or AI will be able to convincingly recreate older archival recordings in pristine modern sound quality!

(I wish)

Oh for sure. Let Chris Malone work his magic and maybe more of Conrack can be salvaged in music-only form. (See: Towering Inferno, Take Her She’s Mine, or the new Leith Stevens War of the Worlds…)

8 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What's the holdup on Reivers again? Surely that's a score Williams wouldn't deem unworthy?

Years ago I think MV said there was some kind of rights complication. Maybe one day it’ll get cleared up. Other things he’s previously declared “not gonna happen” (i.e. Twister) later did come out.

Yavar

Reminds me of the time years back when some big shot at Fox said in a chatroom to never expect an extended cut of Alien3. Well lo and behold we got an extended cut less than a year later.

I'd settle for a monologue free release of the BPO Reivers suite on that Sony CD.

28 minutes ago, Signals said:

Well, we can already, to an extent, get clean music that has dialogue over it, without resorting to the old centre channel removal trick. I just used A.I. to remove two cast performances from the FotR CR.

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Elements have never been found anywhere. 

Even without better elements, surely they could still do something based on the old album? I have the Columbia release, but even without better elements, I would imagine modern technology could somewhat improve the sound. And it's certainly a score that deserves to be available. (Of course, if they're holding off in the hopes of locating more/better elements in the not too distant future, I'll be happy with the Columbia until then).

Just in from MV at FSM:

I just want to add one more thing about the lack of golden and silver age titles.

Warner Bros and Fox were a huge part of FSM release slate.

Both companies as of 2023 are not working with the labels any more

(WB closing its doors and Fox being absorbed by Disney).

Disney works with Intrada, but apparently there are approval issues and delays.

Sony has element issues.

MGM and Paramount are wonderful to work with but so much of their catalogs have been mined there is not much left.

That leaves Universal....we have some great projects lined up with them, two of them scheduled for this year both from the 1960s. And more in 2024.

Before WB and Fox shut down we had some amazing titles we were looking into, but alas they were not meant to be at this time.

MV

So I guess no more Fox titles either.

Wonder what he means by Sony having element issues. 

Seems the golden age of soundtrack releases is slowly drawing to a close.

It means that his label is not currently working on any WB, Fox, or Disney titles, but continue to work on MGM, Paramount, and Universal titles.

I don't know what the part about Sony elements means.

~

He just confirmed they are doing nothing with WB:

So, just to clarify - no Batman & Robin Adventures in near future, until WB will be friendly again, right?

Correct. As of right now that and any WB title we had going are DOA

MV

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

It means that his label is not currently working on any WB, Fox, or Disney titles, but continue to work on MGM, Paramount, and Universal titles.

I don't know what the part about Sony elements means.

~

So, just to clarify - no Batman & Robin Adventures in near future, until WB will be friendly again, right?

MV

Wait, is he saying that titles have been cancelled even though work had already begun on them? This is beyond mad. Who's gonna pay those who did the work?

This is all a bit “cost of everything, value of nothing” from (some of) the studios. Which is of no surprise. Madness as if you went in and sneaked out the elements to some random film score from years ago that nobody remembers, I doubt anyone would even notice… of course the main hope is that things change. Studios that used to be closed off opened up. I’m sure it comes and comes. Just have to hope elements are preserved. 

MV clarified the Sony part

To put it frankly...they can't find shit

Lol

It's not easy finding music elements over there. We have run into issues many many times over the years

MV

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Universal....we have some great projects lined up with them, two of them scheduled for this year both from the 1960s

Speculate away

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Universal_Pictures_films_(1960–1969)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NBCUniversal_television_programs

Damn. All that sucks to hear.

Although - there's a few great scores from Paramount that I'd love to see expanded, one of which (Thomas Newman's Lemony Snicket) has it's 20th Anniversary next year, so fingers crossed, but I somehow doubt they're working on it. Maybe with a lack of other releases they might.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

MV

I'll get my official Sphere Expanded Edition one day… yes… I will…………………

On 07/09/2023 at 7:52 PM, Jay said:

MV clarified the Sony part

To put it frankly...they can't find shit

Lol

It's not easy finding music elements over there. We have run into issues many many times over the years

MV

I hope this doesn't mean that we will never get Hook because they "can't find shit". 

21 minutes ago, Bounty95 said:

I hope this doesn't mean that we will never get Hook because they "can't find shit". 

Isn't that pretty much what happened last time?

god i would love a complete Kong 2005.  

it's a masterpiece.  proof by all the votes here:  

Edit: 😂😂😂 wtf are the odds that that gif is on the link preview 

That gif used to always make me laugh. I miss gruesome 

12 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Is the 05 King Kong after the cutoff? I would love that one, although the ost is solid.

I think it is. The movie came up in December 2005 and, as far as I know, JNH was recording it until weeks before the movie came up.

According to Wikipedia, the recording sessions began in late October 2005. Also, it was recorded in LA. So yeah, unfortunately for us, an expansion is unlikely. 

Good news that Universal is open for business, although if they only have two 60s releases this year, we're not getting JP3 before 2024. Really sucks about WB and Potter though. Thank goodness we got the box when we did.

On 08/09/2023 at 10:16 AM, iamleyeti said:

I suggest you learn to be satisfied with the complete leak :) Let's face it, aside from any alternates, an official release is going to sound exactly the same. If WB don't care any more, I feel no guilt.

It's a little mystifying that JP3 hasn't happened yet, but considering 1 and 2 just got reissued you'd have to think it's in the pipeline... right?!

Unless the rumours are true and JW hated the score and the labels don't want to upset him by pursuing an expansion.

On 08/09/2023 at 11:16 AM, iamleyeti said:

Maybe this could trigger a new release…