John Williams video featurette for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny

JNHFan2000

5 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

star wars fans go a thread without mentioning star wars challenge: impossible.

Here we go again. 

It’s amazing how excited a new John Williams score can still make me. He truly represents the one last good aspect of the Hollywood blockbuster.

Give ‘em hell, John!

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Fixed.

Honestly The Force Awakens was just as bad, TLJ only made it a lot worse.

Now back to our regular program:

I believe DoD will be a better score than KotCS. 

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Some cool sounding bits in there!

Yeah, that variation on Helena's Theme.

Btw, is that ASM's hand?

EDIT: No, sorry it's too hairy. But ASM is clearly seen in some shots.

Each weekend this month, I have been watching each of the four films on 4K Blu-Ray with Dolby Vision picture and Dolby Atmos sound, building up to June 29th. This makes me all the more excited!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He's wearing glasses in all the footage here

Why did KK say 3 notes instead of 4 notes

She might have misspoke, but given how ingrained this piece is in the mind of filmgoers, the first three notes suffice for recognition--one's mind literally fills in the 4th.  

But its the first 4 notes that make the theme instantly recognizable, not the first 3.  I dunno.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I like how JW thanks the orchestra for coming as if they´re not contractually obligated to be there.

Always the gentleman. 

58 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Why expect somebody to be 100% accurate with how many notes begin a theme when they're just speaking off-the-cuff 

If you’re not certain about something, don’t say it. It was a recording, she could’ve stopped and ask her husband or maybe John Williams then answer again.
It’s called being ignorant and lazy.

54 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Maybe she only recognizes it with the B melody ;)

Spielberg should’ve whistled it to her.

3 minutes ago, PokeDocMatt said:

More secure in what it is at this point in Indy’s life. 

And in Williams’ life.

45 minutes ago, JTW said:

If you’re not certain about something, don’t say it. It was a recording, she could’ve stopped and ask her husband or maybe John Williams then answer again.

Or... saying an impromptu soundbite about how few notes a great theme needs to announce itself. Jeez.

Not a fan of that featurette myself - why did JW not talk about the themes he'd created or the overall sound of the score? It's just a backslapping puff piece that adds nothing whatsoever to our understanding of the score.

45 minutes ago, JTW said:

Unintentionally one of the most hilarious things I have read on this website

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

That featurette's a backslapping puff piece that adds nothing whatsoever to our understanding of the score.

We got to hear the music.

So it did.

2 hours ago, JTW said:

Maybe you should stop and ask your husband before posting off the cuff. ;)

One day I managed to recognize the theme before the theme itself started playing, just that first second of the March was enough, so in a way, she's right, who needs the four notes to recognize it? She should have said one note.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Why did KK say 3 notes instead of 4 notes

To be fair she didn't say that the opening was 3 notes, just that you'd probably be able to recognize what it is in the first 3 notes. Which, at least to me, is accurate.

This reminds me of that time when JW mentioned how he uses the "7th on the bottom" when writing suspense music and all the music theorists on JWFAN went berserk trying to figure out what he was talking about :biglaugh:

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

We have known for four months that Mutter recorded a violin version of Helena's theme for the album and/or film.

You know, I just found saw that post and somehow skimmed right past the quote :pat:

24 minutes ago, Doug Adams said:

Not to wade into the modern minefield of Lucasfilm discussion, but isn’t KK referring to the opening trombone figure? (One … and-a-three.)

That conjures Indy in just three notes, doesn’t it? 

I’m jet-lagged and only watched the video once. So I apologize if I misinterpreted. 

I assumed she was talking about the opening trombone figure, yes (Ba-da-da-DAH, ba-da BAH!)

1-2-3-4.... 5-6-7.

EDIT: No wait!  Not trombone, trumpet! I thought she was talking about the trumpet rendition of the main theme, not the opening trombone ostinato!  Did everybody else think she was talking about the ostinato?

23 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

You know, I just found saw that post and somehow skimmed right past the quote :pat:

The quote? There's two Instagram posts in thread of her at the recording sessions, nothing to do with the concert performance of it (which is also in the thread)