Disney Emporium releases Indiana Jones: The Complete CD Collection (Expected ship date is March 27, 2024.) No new expansions - Includes the previous Concord Records programmes plus KotCS and DoD OSTs

jamesluckard

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But why?

Because no one gives a damn about soundtrack CDs, but us, a very small minority. We’re very fortunate that there are specialty labels at all. Disney couldn’t care less about us, all they care about is making money with the least amount of money giving out. They own the rights to the Indiana Jones scores, Laurent Bouzereau has already remastered and expanded the first three scores back in 2008, and Disney is more than happy with them. So they’re releasing that program along with DoD, and in their mind we should even be grateful for it. Btw. some of us are, e.g. me who doesn’t own DoD on CD yet. I wish we had the complete OT (both Indy and SW), but Disney couldn’t care less about what we want, and neither do the readers of Variety or the LA Times. 

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

So, basically Disney now asks people to pay 110$ for Dial of Destiny. 

You forget those who don’t yet own any of the Indy scores and now can purchase all five of them in a box set.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Question: I know, we have some (filmmusic) journalists on board here. Arendt these terrible release politics of DME worth an article? Or does nobody in your business dare to mess with the Mouse?

You'd need a critical journalist for that; one that is interested in writing his own opinions without being afraid of loosing access to people on the "inside".

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You'd need a critical journalist for that; one that is interested in writing his own opinions without being afraid of loosing access to people on the "inside".

TownerFan ;-)

5 minutes ago, JTW said:

You forget those who don’t yet own any of the Indy scores and now can purchase all five of them in a box set.

No, I didn't forget those. I said, the other 4 disks are still available at amazon for 10$ each for those who are interested. So, if I just want the first four, then I pay 40$. And when I want all five I can pay additional 110$ and get the box.

1 minute ago, GerateWohl said:

No, I didn't forget those. I said, the other 4 disks are still available at amazon for 10$ each for those who are interested. So, if I just want the first four, then I pay 40$. And when I want all five I can pay additional 110$ and get the box.

Exactly, that’s why Disney is releasing all five in a box set for those who don’t yet have any of the five and now want to get them in a box set. 

11 minutes ago, JTW said:

Exactly, that’s why Disney is releasing all five in a box set for those who don’t yet have any of the five and now want to get them in a box set. 

Disney seems to have obtained rights from Concord (Universal) for this previously released material and is now issuing it for the first time under their own label—a practice known as "catalog acquisition and reissuing."

I wouldn't be surprised if they do the same in the near future with the Star Wars Special Editions...

2 minutes ago, JTW said:

Right. No contradiction to what I said. Still my point is valid. The monetary difference between buying just the first four and all five is 110$. Makes 110$ for disk no. 5.

I’m not half as pissed as if Disney had re-released another Star Wars SE box set with the same program. Star Wars is the Holy Grail (pun intended).

Does anyone think these Disney Records versions of the first four OSTs will be made available individually? I just can’t help but wonder if this is all somehow connected to the listings of the individual releases that were supposed to come out this month.

Using the expansion works done by Lucasfilm Concord might appear as an effortless approach. However, it is a straightforward way to generate revenue.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It seems somewhat lazy to simply reuse the expansion works done by Concord.

And it’s convenient and cheap. They don’t give a sith about expansions. 

Disney posted larger versions of the two images on their website, on Facebook.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyMusicEmporium/posts/pfbid02Nin6DGBnohPj9sUTGZNzu89ty4F2542B6Q466j7NRFVybrWoibJSkPZB6WJ6GHTEl

47 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

he fact that the current expansions are considered imperfect by a group of soundtrack enthusiasts is probably known to Disney, but it's just not high on their priority list to satisfy this small niche.

They probably know as well that the current expansions being imperfect is not a consensus even within the already tiny group of soundtrack enthusiasts. Some fans are just perfectly happy with what we get and don't want even a second more of music.

To put this in geopolitcal terms, it would be kinda like the goverment of the United States not wanting to worry about a civil war in a minuscule country with less than 50,000 inhabitants located in whatever corner of the world.

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

I might have actually bought this set if it was vinyl. At least it would be something different

Bet they can't put these on vinyl because the masters are locked at some ancient resolution, probably CD. They couldn't even transfer the tapes at the right speed in 2008, I doubt they understood high resolution audio. 

Never fear though, the next step will be reverting all the way back to rebuilds of the original album masters and releasing those in a $300 vinyl collection. 

Then they'll dump the OST remasters on CD in a $400 box set, incorrectly downmixed from LCR to stereo.

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

In short, Disney should use its capitalistic might and go all-out - actual gold leaf embossed covers, the finest cotton papers in the booklets, posters, collectors cards, every second of recorded music and even the recordings of people still mic'd up when they're taking a shit - EVERYTHING!

And if we're talking about Star Wars...since the fandom is sliding into apathy, giving us the soundtrack collection we've been clamouring for might get some goodwill going. "Hey, look! Disney's done something right!"

Basically as in STAR WARS this is is just a cataloging of ownership of the INDIANA JONES music catalogue. Once these are housed and branded they are now officially under the Disney house. So thats why its a straight forward reissue.

I was expecting this when DIAL OF DESTINY came out but we were all so taken up by its limited release that we didn't ponder enough on this possibility..until now!

This was expected to happen. Nothing new here.

18 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

The more I think about it, the more this feels like a straight-up scam.

Even the render looks so bad and cheap.

I think there's a market for this but it's obviously not us. I'm thinking more casual soundtrack/Indy fans who perhaps just buy the occasional soundtrack and for whom this might be a gift. It's horrendously priced of course but Concord's set came out 15 years ago and new Indy/music fans pop up all the time.

The only hope that we can perhaps glean is if MM by some miracle persuaded Disney to invest in proper expansions and they've done this set in-house as a mass market equivalent.

One further point - yes Bouzereau made some amateurish mistakes with pitch, and of course there's quite a bit of missing music - both of which were regrettable and need to be fixed in a future edition. But here's the thing - almost no one outside of our community notices or cares (basically, the average, non-geeky consumer). I've personally never really noticed the pitch problems because I haven't seen any of the films in years and don't do endless comparisons (I'm not on some high horse - I compare some other films and score presentations to death, just not these ones).

I was talking about the two editions of the FotR score to an acquaintance a few years ago (they said their other half wanted the soundtrack for Christmas) and they just about stayed with me when I was explaining about 'a CD of highlights' vs 'everything recorded for the film'. Had I started going on about a theoretical scenario where the master tapes were transferred badly and that some tracks were at a slightly wrong pitch.... straight over their head.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

But very few of those are interested in buying CDs.

i am interested in the missing CD as well.

i am also interested in CDs with a normal price.

ok i'm a picky buyer, i suppose.