John Williams receives 54th Oscar nomination for Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny!

crumbs

Very nice!:up: However, my dream of seeing John Williams and Joe Hisaishi on the same ballot for the first and last time comes to a crashing end.:(

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Now whether Giacchino would have gotten the Oscar nomination in a parallel universe where he wrote Williams's Dial of Destiny score, I don't think so. But I think perfectly reasonable people would be arguing he'd have deserved it. 

He wouldn't, and in my mind that signals something a bit wrong with the process. The oscars don't recognise scores from popcorn action movies that much. LotR had the combination of a great score and films that are critically and popularly acclaimed. Most other franchises or adventure/fantasy scores that come to mind are either for more serious films or are by Williams. It didn't mean they were all great scores - it just meant that it's fashionable to give him a nod because of the great work he's done before.

A world where McCreary doesn't get nominated for RoP but Williams does for Indy 5, is a world where it's not the work you did that year, it's who you are.

Put another way - if you give Williams an oscar for DoD, you then immediately hand Powell three oscars for the HTTYD trilogy ;)

His nomination was a surprise to me and therefore I didn't expect him to be nominated. A first nomination for a younger composer would mean more and be more consequential to their career than the 54th one for Williams. But that doesn't mean I'm still pleased to see him nominated and recognised by his peers.

I think the scoring of the whole Airport / Syracuse part of the movie justifies the nomination by itself, and I'm trying to think of that objectively and not as a massive JW fan. One of the comments from those Reddit screenshots is claiming there's no new decent music in DoD. If they can't recognise the quality of those tracks, I think they either didn't pay attention or JW's modern style of scoring simply isn't to their taste.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

These are the same people who thought the TFA score was "not memorable" when it came out, but now they praise it.

I'd imagine most of them were actually kids at the time considering TFA came out 8 years ago and most people stanning for Spider Verse would be 20 at most .  So a slightly different demographic 

3 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

most people stanning for Spider Verse would be 20 at most

I don't know about that

6 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Steven Price = 1 nomination, 1 win = 100%

Michael Giacchino = 2 nominations, 1 win = 50%

John Williams = 54 nominations, 5 wins = 9.26%

Does that mean that Price > Giacchino > Williams? :P

I'm just kidding, don't kill me please

Now do number of films composed total to number of nominations! :)

9 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If I didn't miscount while scrolling through the filmography, Williams has scored 114 films. (Another interesting question actually: Is this the most reliable source to get the films he actually composed music for, unlike also all kinds of spinoffs and sequels and promo videos using his music, like on IMDb? Is there a source that actually provides this list as raw data?)

This?

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35540-2023-john-williams-official-top-10-film-scores-your-individual-lists/&do=findComment&comment=1976599

As much as I love Williams, Dial left me quite disappointed.

Oddly, for once, I like the movie better than the score.

Dial definitely deserved an Oscar nomination for Best Special Effects though!

That opening scene is really something else.

That said, I reckon Williams should continue doing movies for another six years.

He needs to outdo that embarrassing record of Walt Disney's.

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Oddly, for once, I like the movie better than the score.

It's a very good film!

1 minute ago, Pieter Boelen said:

That opening scene is really something else.

You mean the entire prologue?

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's a very good film!

I do believe so, yes.

Much better than Skull, at least.

I won't put it on the same level as the first three, but it's a much better entry than I feared.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You mean the entire prologue?

Yep.

Exactly that.

4 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I won't put it on the same level as the first three, but it's a much better entry than I feared.

Exactly!

4 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

Yep.

Exactly that.

Yeah, I enjoyed the entire prologue a lot.

25 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

didn't miscount while scrolling through the filmography, Williams has scored 114 films. (Another interesting question actually: Is this the most reliable source to get the films he actually composed music for, unlike also all kinds of spinoffs and sequels and promo videos using his music, like on IMDb? Is there a source that actually provides this list as raw data?)

54 nominations out of 114 films equals 47.37

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

Now we'd have to check which of these movies are actually elligible for the Oscars, since some of them are from TV, like Heidi and Jane Eyre for instance.

Then, we'd discount which of his 54 nominations were for the same movie (song and score) and exclude one of them.

In both cases, I don't think there are many of them, and the final number shouldn't be too different from 47% anyway.

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's three less than I counted (twice) in the filmography, so someone could check which three are excluded (and why), supposing the rest is a match. Someone, because I'm too lazy. ;)

20 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, I enjoyed the entire prologue a lot.

I just wished there could've been more archaeology to it...

Not too big on war movies myself.

But for what it was, it was pretty darn cool.

6 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

I just wished there could've been more archaeology to it...

Not too big on war movies myself.

But for what it was, it was pretty darn cool.

I consider it more in the genre of cat-and-mouse hunt, which is a favourite of mine.

9 hours ago, JTW said:

Why is it cool? Except for seeing him wearing a tux again, losing again, for the 49th time, 30 years in a row. 

I'm sure Williams would and probably always does enjoy these events. A chance to spend time with friends, bump into collaborators and actors from his many previous films, the food is probably good. I can't imagine not having a great night. 

I'm going to hope that this leads to Disney selling the CD again and ignore the likelihood.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That's three less than I counted (twice) in the filmography, so someone could check which three are excluded (and why), supposing the rest is a match. Someone, because I'm too lazy. ;)

My list is accurate.

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Plenty of salt on the subreddits, but plenty of love elsewhere for JW's nomination. Just to counter the negativity:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

To the first post, remove yourself from a nomination? Can they do that? 

8 hours ago, Chewy said:

These are the same people who thought the TFA score was "not memorable" when it came out, but now they praise it.

I'm just glad that the default opinion is the music was one of the good things about the sequels. And that TFA isn't going very far back for a nomination Reddit doesn't consider lazy. Nobody's trying to disrespect JW's longevity here. 

I'm happy for him to collect Oscar nominations like Pokemon. They blur together, regardless. The legend of John Williams is epic scores for big blockbusters every decade with nonstop Oscar nominations til he's like 100 years old. He's never had a Diane Warren reputation where her version of this is getting nominated for the Flaming Hot Cheetos movie. John Williams nominated for Indiana Jones 5 is pretty typical at worst, it just slides in. 

Basically, I would say that Göransson deserves the award this year...

If we look at it as a kind of lifetime achievement award, or if we consider Williams' works between 1994 and 2024, and Göransson has already won an award and the musics of the other 3 nominees is not a masterpiece, then there is some chance. :woop:
By itself, I think it deserves a nomination/award because of Helena's Theme, which is much more present in the entire score than the Raiders march.

@Jurassic SharkNow try to convince us that Barbie is a masterpiece. :)

2 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Question: A year from now, what will be heard in the classical concert halls in the world?

Fixed.

44 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Films produced by Kennedy have grossed $13.3 billion dollars worldwide.

If you were the producer of every Spielberg film and every film produced by Spielberg's production company, you would be successful too. Working for geniuses doesn't mean that you yourself are a genius.

If not for Kennedy, we likely never get a trilogy of new John Williams Star Wars scores

Literally anyone with half a brain knows that John Williams is maybe the greatest value of Star Wars, and you would need to be a complete idiot not to hire him. I'm not saying that KK is stupid, I'm saying she lacks creative talent. She is a business woman, even she is aware of the obvious: Without John Williams, Star Wars is just another IP. And btw Frank Marshall's father was a film composer, so I think he is the one who understands Williams' importance better, and told her wife that she had to get John if she didn't want to fail miserably. 

but the data doesn't back it up.

The data shows how Disney Star Wars is failing hard. Every subsequent film made appr. half the money at the box office as the previous one. Solo bombed. Star Wars got downgraded to streaming in the form of mediocre to bad, lackluster tv shows with abismal ratings. KK clearly has no idea how to manage Star Wars. Or Indiana Jones, for that matter. DoD was one of 2023's biggest flops, one of Disney's greatest bombs. Kennedy has driven George Lucas' legacy into the ground, and alienated most of the original paying customers/fanbase. There is no turning back. Even if she steps down and lets someone else run the company, the damage is done, and people are not coming back to a dead franchise. 

I suppose from the point of view of the people on social media who hate the nomination for DoD, they probably only saw the movie once or twice, and maybe listened to the OST once. Most of JW's work post TFA has taken multiple listens for me to appreciate its greatness. I doubt those people have put in the same time.

It's also interesting to remember that a lot of reviews of the movie had praised the score, so I guess its nomination wasn't entirely from left field.

Didn't the Oscars stop being relevant 20 years ago? Who actually thinks they're an accurate measure of anything?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Didn't the Oscars stop being relevant 20 years ago? Who actually thinks they're an accurate measure of anything?

The nominations are still accurate. The winners, well, it's a pat on the back by the business to the business, which once held greater significance, but still remains prestigious... but that's "political".