First clip from Rise of Skywalker - New music!

mrbellamy

Action music very much in the style of The Last Jedi, which, to be fair, is not exactly unexpected.

I wonder how this cue will be called on the OST... Flying Troopers and the Chase Through the Desert? Or, if Williams is feeling humorous, maybe just "Do They Fly Now?".

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

IDK it sounds well-mixed to me

I'm sure in theaters it'll sound better of course. Perhaps it's me reacting to the fact that this style of busy, dense orchestral scoring doesn't land well anymore in the current aesthetic of busy visual language, rapid-fire editing and an immense array of loud sound fx. The music sounds refined and richly orchestrated, but it has to compete much harder than in the past to be heard properly and not being lost in the mix. Imho, of course.

46 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think the mixing is great! Sure, not a reflection of a full 5.1 surround mix but this sounds far better than the action material in TFA was treated! If the entire score is treated this well I'll be pretty happy, TBH.

And the music itself sounds great! Love the transition to those thrilling strings once the troopers take flight. Williams just sounds like he's having a heap of fun here, one of the action cues I was most looking forward to. You can tell there's a few edits along the way so it'll be great to hear the entire cue as intended. 

Recording seems like a mix of TFA and TLJ, writing style likewise a bit of a blend but also modern and different from both previous scores. Importantly, it has fantastic energy which is the most important thing. I want more!! 

Truthfully these 30 seconds are almost literally nothing we haven't heard before but predictably sounds world class and he isn't missing a beat stylistically. It's just exciting to hear him in there more than anything.

I assume he takes some melodic/thematic opportunities here and there in the sequence too, either a new action motif or Poe or Rey's themes in frantic mode or something. Kinda hope he avoids Rebel Fanfare outside of obvious Falcon/X-Wing sequences.

Cool, I'm excited to check this out later.

Let's talk about only the music in this thread, and other aspects of the clip and movie itself over here.

12 minutes ago, DrTenma said:

I never liked these kind of clips... It doesn't sound bad but neither as good as I would like. With TFA clip I had the very same feeling: I need more music. 

I have the same exact reaction. Sounds solid and sounds like Williams but there's not enough of it to make a judgement.

Karol

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

IDK it sounds well-mixed to me

yeah I hear it pretty well on hadphones

Music is good but no big theme statements so hard to judge

Is that Poe's theme or at least a reduction of it in the clip?

Overall this is like Follow Me and will be playing over and over in my head until I see the film!

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Truthfully these 30 seconds are almost literally nothing we haven't heard before but predictably sounds world class and he isn't missing a beat stylistically. 

I agree.  The little bit sounds good and I'm eager hear it in the context of a full cue (assuming it's released).  The music works much better through headphones - it got a little lost when I listened through my speakers.

Is there an edit at :20 when the first trooper is launched?

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Good idea!

EDIT: here it is:

Well, listening to it again, I hear actually some similarities with early 2000s Williams, specially on this furious strings, which reminds me of Minority Report, Attack of the Clones, the three Potter scores, and so it goes.

The first clip we saw of TFA was a clip shown on 60 minutes which had score in it from "Follow Me" on the OST.

I can't remember what the first TLJ clip released was.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Make a poll....

"Will the 30 seconds of music heard in the first official clip be on the OST?"

a. Yes

b. No

c. Partial/micro-edited

Please do not actually do this, anyone.

Probably option c if this is one of the major action setpieces of the movie. Recent JW OSTs don't leave out completely important action scenes, even if they are not there completely (Jungle Chase, Escape, etc).

Well, maybe Holdo's Resolve, but that's an exception for a scene that lasts less than 3 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Probably option c if this is one of the major action setpieces of the movie. Recent JW OSTs don't leave out completely important action scenes, even if they are not there completely (Jungle Chase, Escape, etc).

Well, maybe Holdo's Resolve, but that's an exception for a scene that lasts less than 3 minutes.

Ah but the poll wouldn't be about the action sequence in general, but about that specific 30 seconds from the sequence.  In which case another likely answer would be "Yes, and actually the music as heard in the clip is micro-edited and the OST track has 20 extra seconds inserted at 9 seconds into the clip" :P 

1 hour ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Sounds like typical meandering autopilot action underscore. I realize this is JWFan, but if THIS makes you cry...wow.

Pretty much this. 

But only 30 seconds, so... 

After TLJ, I have no expectations for this anyway. 

The earliest clips I remember hearing from TFA were actually good. That Masters of the Universe/Goldsmith-esque chase music and a big rendition of the Force theme. Wasn't there like a 60 Minutes segment?

2 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

The earliest clips I remember hearing from TFA were actually good. That Masters of the Universe/Goldsmith-esque chase music and a big rendition of the Force theme. Wasn't there like a 60 Minutes segment?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The first clip we saw of TFA was a clip shown on 60 minutes which had score in it from "Follow Me" on the OST.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Nah you’re misremembering, Jay, the first TFA clip wasn’t on 60 Minutes, it was like some cheesy Star Wars concert on ABC with Pentatonix singing Star Wars music (not sarcasm) 

60 Minutes had Williams conducting bits of the opening cue, Scherzo for X-Wings, and Ways of the Force

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I can't remember what the first TLJ clip released was.

Pretty sure there wasn't one