Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Isolated Score Track

DangerMotif

The initial pressings of the "Complete Recordings" releases contained the same musical program as the CDs on a bonus DVD-Audio disc in higher resolution & surround sound.  Note that these were specifically the "DVD-Audio" format, meaning they wouldn't play in a standard DVD player.

The reissues from 2018 replaced that DVD-Audio disc with a Blu Ray disc containing the same music in the same resolution instead.  These discs do play in a standard Blu Ray player

On 06/11/2023 at 8:37 PM, Jay said:

The initial pressings of the "Complete Recordings" releases contained the same musical program as the CDs on a bonus DVD-Audio disc in higher resolution & surround sound.  Note that these were specifically the "DVD-Audio" format, meaning they wouldn't play in a standard DVD player.

(...)

Unless there were multiple versions back when they came out, I believe that's inaccurate - they're normal DVDs (the 3rd one double-sided) with stereo and 5.1 audio tracks, and animated menus showing arted-up images from the corresponding scenes during playback.

• 3 weeks later...

Posts have been edited or deleted  due to a major rule violation:

On 30/04/2021 at 5:04 PM, JWFan Moderators said:

The following types of posts are not allowed:

•  Links to download copyrighted material -- This includes requests for links as well.

The isolated score track can be discussed before its release date, but any discussion around how to get it illegally will be deleted and the user banned. 

Might be slightly confused about the rules, but is this to do with a reddit link that someone posted yesterday? Is the problem that it was linking directly to downloadable files (but still hosted elsewhere), instead of a YouTube link? (given that you can't download from YT without.... extra steps). Just curious.

So, I listened to the isolated score, but didn't change my mind about it. :(

I found nothing to make me want to listen to it again (or the ost - although I bought that to have it in my collection), apart from Helena's theme, which anyway doesn't fit the character at all, but it's a nice composition on its own.

16 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Might be slightly confused about the rules, but is this to do with a reddit link that someone posted yesterday? Is the problem that it was linking directly to downloadable files (but still hosted elsewhere), instead of a YouTube link? (given that you can't download from YT without.... extra steps). Just curious.

I've never understood why YT embeds (for audio not directly uploaded by the content owners) are allowed either.

Listening to cues like the second Tuk Tuk cue make me really appreciate the effort Williams put into using quotes in the sequel trilogy scores, like the beautiful transition to Yoda’s theme at the end of “The Sacred Jedi Texts”.  There is an artistry to how these quotes are integrated that I don’t think I fully appreciated until I heard them done poorly. It’s so awkward and sloppy in DoD, downright schizophrenic.

I was scratching my head wondering why when people were complaining about the Tuk Tuk second half being missing. It sounded choppy as hell in the theater, and now the isolated score has confirmed that. I mean, I want all the unreleased music I can get, but that’s not one that would be at the top of my list.

21 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Probably, I didn't realize linking to a post that only indirectly had a download link would still be against the rules.

1 hour ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, I’m kind of starting to doubt the “official story” that Ross only did the one cue.

The official story doesn't make any definitive judgement on how many cues he ultimately composed or helped with. I don't think there's anything to 'doubt'.

8 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

The official story doesn't make any definitive judgement on how many cues he ultimately composed or helped with. I don't think there's anything to 'doubt'.

The LA Times article says “In the end, abetted by a prolonged postproduction schedule, Williams scored the entire picture himself.” Which certainly makes it sound like he… scored the entire film himself. Then again, that statement kind of contradicts/leaves out what we know about Ross’ “Pulse of the City” cue, so perhaps that should be taken with a grain of salt.

I know, that’s what I pointed out at the end of my comment. That actually on second thought, Ross doing that cue kind of flies in the face of that statement in the article; the “Williams scored the entire picture himself” is a bit misleading.

You're reading way too much into that article. I'd put as much faith in it (as a reliable indicator of who wrote what in the film) as that 'Williams wrote 40 minutes for CoS' rubbish which was just out of date, ill informed, or both.

22 hours ago, filmmusic said:

So, I listened to the isolated score, but didn't change my mind about it. :(

I found nothing to make me want to listen to it again (or the ost - although I bought that to have it in my collection), apart from Helena's theme, which anyway doesn't fit the character at all, but it's a nice composition on its own.

2 hours ago, Archive Collection said:

Listening to the "Airplane Mutiny" cue, I noticed that it has the bassline from William Ross's "Pulse of the City", but also some hints of Williams's Voller Theme.

So who wrote it? Let the speculation begin...

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Yeah, I’m kind of starting to doubt the “official story” that Ross only did the one cue.

9 minutes ago, Damien F said:

My opinion is that JW wrote all original cues heard in the film except Pulse of the City. Reuse of music from previous scores was adapted by JW and Ross, with Ross probably doing a majority of that work.

Really.

Had I posted that, waves of anger would have followed.

Let me restate my opinion again: JW did 3/4 of the film score max.

41 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

You're reading way too much into that article. I'd put as much faith in it (as a reliable indicator of who wrote what in the film) as that 'Williams wrote 40 minutes for CoS' rubbish which was just out of date, ill informed, or both.

I normally don’t put much faith in articles like this; the only reason I did was because it’s by the author of the forthcoming Williams biography.

Who cares . Movie and OST says Music By John Williams and no mention of Ross except for Pulse of the City. It's like wondering which parts of TESB were composed by Herbert Spencer

1 hour ago, TolkienSS said:

Really.

Had I posted that, waves of anger would have followed.

Let me restate my opinion again: JW did 3/4 of the film score max.

Why do you feel that way? I don’t see anything wrong with that opinion.

Because they called the score a blemish on Williams’ career, insinuating Williams was too old and should already have retired, and got called out for making hyperbolic statements. They are now trying to equate that to actual criticism of the score in this thread lol

9 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

Because they called the score a blemish on Williams’ career, insinuating Williams was too old and should already retired, and got called out for making hyperbolic statements. They are now trying to equate that to actual criticism of the score in this thread lol

Oh lol, I didn’t see that.

34 minutes ago, John F said:

After listening to the isolated score I can’t believe they did not put the Battle of Syracuse film version on the soundtrack. Man what an amazing cue… probably one of my top ten Favorite Williams cues. Also the “Prologue” film version action cues could have really made for a powerhouse action opening to the soundtrack too instead of the slower cue they opted to go with. And it had nothing to do with the scene. Smh.

Yes, the whole 20 minute cue is pure Williams's brilliance.