Quartet Announces: HEIDI/ JANE EYRE (2CD)(John Williams) Remastered and Expanded

Amer

HEIDI.jpg

JANE-EYRE.jpg

https://quartetrecords.com/product/heidi-jane-eyre-2-cd/

Quartet Records, in collaboration with Capitol Records and Universal Music Entertainment, present a 2-CD set with a revised, remastered, slightly expanded edition of scores for two landmark made-for-television filmscomposed by John Williams (STAR WARS, E.T., JURASSIC PARK, HOOK) between 1968 and 1970.

Both of these adaptations of classic stories were presented by Omnibus Productions and directed by Delbert Mann, and both also earned Emmy® Awards for John Williams’ original music. Through these scores, the composer shaped the destinies of two classic literary characters as well as his own.

Every effort was made to locate surviving audio elements for both HEIDI and JANE EYRE. The discovery of the original ½″ four-track masters from HEIDI containing all of the cues selected for the 1968 narrated story album facilitated an attentive new mix of the music and a presentation in narrative order. The narration record was newly transferred by Universal Music Group and is presented after the musical score.

For JANE EYRE, a new high-resolution transfer of the 1971 ¼″ stereo album master was provided by Universal Music Group, with audio then fully restored. This is followed by four tracks of additional material, including a short segment of source music that is heard in the film but was not on the album. The other three tracks are alternate performances of three selections recorded for the album, “To Thornfield,” “Restoration” and the “Love Theme.” This material was sourced from two ½″ 3-track tapes that were discovered at Twentieth Century Fox in early 2019. While no additional score cues could be located, the recovery of any new material from this enduring and highly regarded John Williams work is most welcome.

The entire collection has been painstakingly remixed, restored, assembled and mastered by Mike Matessino, preserving all the freshness of the original recording. The package includes a 28-page full-color booklet with in-depth liner notes by film music writer John Takis and classy art direction by Jim Titus.

Disc 1. HEIDI

Original Motion Picture Score

1. Overture (Theme From ‘Heidi’) 2:21

2. Arrival In Dörfli 3:12

3. To The Alm 2:00

4. Goat’s Milk 1:36

5. At The Church :57

6. Meditation Rock 2:20

7. Dinner Table :47

8. Stealing Rolls 1:10

9. The Bedroom 1:55

10. Library Talk 1:24

11. Return To Dörfli 2:56

12. Montage 1:34

13. Waiting With Grandfather 1:35

14. Separation 3:28

15. The Farewell 3:52

16. Klara Walks 3:51

Total Score Presentation: 35:27

1968 Original Soundtrack With Dialogue and Narration

17. Main Title And Overture 2:21 (John Williams and Orchestra)

18. The Old Man And The Child 2:49 (Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards)

19. A Place Of My Own 3:35 (Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards)

20. The Alm 3:39 (Jennifer Edwards)

21. The Sleeping Child 2:22 (Sir Michael Redgrave)

22. Meditation 2:25 (Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards)

23. A Place Of My Own (Heidi’s Theme) 2:41 (Carri Chase, Vocal)

24. Shadows 3:51 (Sir Michael Redgrave)

25. Reflections 4:16 (Jennifer Edwards)

26. A New Dimension 1:56 (Sir Michael Redgrave, Jennifer Edwards)

27. The Nature Of Things 2:25 (Sir Michael Redgrave)

28. Love Theme From ‘Heidi’ 2:54 (John Williams and Orchestra)

29. The Miracle 2:55 (Sir Michael Redgrave)

30. Finale And End Title 1:05 (Sir Michael Redgrave)

Total Soundtrack Album: 39:20

Disc 2. JANE EYRE

Original Soundtrack Album

1. The Love Theme From ‘Jane Eyre’ 3:17

2. Overture (Main Title) 3:57

3. Lowood 2:28

4. To Thornfield 1:53

5. Festivity At Thornfield 2:11

6. Grace Poole And Mason’s Arrival 3:03

7. Meeting 3:09

8. Thwarted Wedding 2:40

9. Across The Moors 2:39

10. Restoration 3:58

11. Reunion (End Title) 4:25

Total Soundtrack Album: 34:06

Additional Music

12. More Festivity :44

13. To Thornfield (Alternate) 1:54

14. Restoration (Alternate) 3:56

15. The Love Theme From ‘Jane Eyre’ (Alternate) 3:19

Total Additional Music: 10:02

3 hours ago, Thor said:

LOL! Three threads all at once. I guess everyone wanted to be first (and I guess you were, Amer). :D

It goes without saying that I'm content with the old releases of these, but I have to say I'm very curious about the audio restoration for both, especially JANE EYRE. The old Silva is OK, but there's definitely room for improvement in that regard. Might replace at least my iTunes version with this new one.

These have been lovingly 'future proofed' by Mike Matessino. Im sure the upgrde in quality will be worth the price of admission!! The Bonus cues and presentations are essential for die hard film music and Williams fans!

Kudos to QUARTET for bringing these back in print.

Ordered this morning the Heidi/Jane Eyre as both were missing from my collection!  Also saw a James Horner release for 'Dad' which was a nice bonus!  

10 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's unclear to me whether there's more music in the score presentation of Heidi compared to the previous release.

By my math, it doesn’t appear to be more (though they have split up some of the tracks from the first release).

I usually try to buy from the label, but the shipping is going to cost more than the disc from Quartet.  Any US folks have a place they like to buy rando discs from?

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

By my math, it doesn’t appear to be more (though they have split up some of the tracks from the first release).

I usually try to buy from the label, but the shipping is going to cost more than the disc from Quartet.  Any US folks have a place they like to buy rando discs from?

Let me know if my forwarding services are needed.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Whoa!!!

This is fantastic!!! 

Forget about HOOK; this is the JW reissue of the year!

The 4 new JANE EYRE Cues are worth it!!!!

I guess we will have to wait for Mike Matessino to do the podcast to disucss both HOOK and these !!

I wonder if I'll pass on this reissue. It's wonderful for those who haven't got it yet (the original Quartet for Heidi and the LLL release for Jane Eyre), but I'm not sure if I really need it since I don't listen to these scores very often.

With a print run of only 2,500 copies, they also assumed that people who already have both won't do a 'double dip'.

Ordered!

9 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Same thoughts. It's also double the price having it shipped to Germany plus the risk of additional tax.

What additional tax? Quartet operates in Spain, so you're placing the order within the borders of the EU.

37 minutes ago, Stark said:

Quartet releases show up on Intrada as well as Screen Archives, right? 

I'll be ordering from Intrada on this one.  I did with Images and ordering / shipping was pain-free.  :)

Ordered. Its nice to have all the upgrades…

but sometimes it feels we are buying the same scores time and again…

:(

how many scores have been treated twice by the labels already?  To think so many unexpanded scores that could be…

But, well varese what are you waiting to rerelease heartbeeps? Its the only williams expanded score i dont officially own! 😠

Just ordered directly from Quartet. I did the same with Images when that restoration came out in 2021. I'm in Florida. What are the chances of this set coming before Christmas?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

image.png

Ooof, definitely gonna wait until it's up on Intrada 

But that's not far off from what it costs from Spain to Germany (about 46 EUR)...so looks reasonable...from a certain point of view.

I never had the Heidi score on album, so for me this is an instant buy.

And after I lost my original Jane Eyre CD I currently just have the bootleg.

So, at last I will have an official Jane Eyre release. :)

By the way, the To Thornfield alternate is probably the same that's on the bootleg?

I was debating whether to order directly from Quartet or order via Screen Archives. I decided to buy directly from Quartet as a way to directly support them; plus, I ordered Images from Quartet as well with no problem. Hopefully the set will arrive before Christmas.