Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (James Mangold, June 30 2023)

Joe Brausam

One of my greatest bugbears with Bond continuity was the idea (that seemed to take hold sometime after the 40th anniversary) that 'James Bond' is a codename bestowed upon MI6's/the 00 section's best agent, thereby explaining why he changes every so often. The best rebuttal to this to prove that Connery - Brosnan are, in fact, meant to be the same man is the 'Tracy evidence' ... she is killed just after marrying George Lazenby's 007, so then why is a returning Connery vengefully searching for Blofeld in the pre-credits sequence of DAF, why does Moore get irritated when Anya brings her up in TSWLM (and visit her grave in the pre-credits sequence of FYEO, and effectively go on to kill Blofeld at the end of it), why does Dalton get similarly irritated when an unaware Della jokes with him in LTK about 'being next' at her wedding to Felix (who puts her straight by telling her 'He was married once, a long time ago') and why does Brosnan completely ignore the question when Electra asks him in TWINE if he's ever lost someone he loved if they're all different agents? 

And also, even with the Craig films having their own arc Skyfall makes it abundantly clear that Bond is the FAMILY name.     

Oh, and on Indy having little to no appeal for millennials/Gen Z ... I saw a Den Of Geek article yesterday asking that since attitudes to ownership of ancient artifacts etc has changed, does it mean that he's actually a villain now? After an eye-roll so hard I think I saw my brain, I was pleased to see that every single comment on it was along the lines of 'No, don't be ridiculous'. 

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

My coworker who is a woman of about 25 has not seen an indiana jones film 😕

Fun ironic fact: i told my parents that i had a discount voucher for the cinema so encouraged them to go to see indy. And they went and watched the jennifer lawrence teenager film instead 🙄

They chose wisely, didn't they? You wouldn't want anyone to watch Rise of Skywalker as their first Star Wars film, would you?

On 04/07/2023 at 11:24 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Well my parents have seen all previous indy films...

I mixed that up. I thought that it was your coworker that you got to go to the cinema. Still, my argument remains valid.;)

My father only knew the movie existed after it premiered, I'm sure there's lots of people who had no idea a new movie was coming out, I went to see it monday and there were lots of older people and a few my age/younger. I don't know a single person my age who knows/cares about Indiana Jones.

If the movie fell down 56% at the box office with the only competition being Insidious 5 and a Christian movie, imagine next week when M: I premieres.

And then there’s “Indiana,” the franchise’s most expensive film with a reported budget of $350 million-$400 million before marketing. After a disappointing $60 million opening, it dropped 56 percent.

That ends the faint hope that older audiences, or any other, would sustain it with good word of mouth. After two weekends, its gross stands at $121 million domestic, $248 million worldwide — a total that likely represents 70 percent of its ultimate haul. Disney collects about 50% of ticket sales, which means it’s very possible that film’s the global theatrical gross will cover less than half of its extraordinary cost.

https://www.indiewire.com/news/box-office/indiana-jones-box-office-flop-disney-movie-faces-massive-loss-1234882402/

29 minutes ago, Dr. Rick said:

How is a movie about real-life child sex trafficking based on a true story a "Christian" movie?  :sarcasm:

Deadline called it "Faith-based", and apparently the distributor also financed many movies targeting religious people. 

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

Deadline called it "Faith-based", and apparently the distributor also financed many movies targeting religious people. 

Its numbers were also boosted by some company buying tickets in bulk and gifting them to church groups for "free".  Essentially gaming the system 

Took Mom and Dad today to see the film. Seemed appreciate since they took me to Raiders as a kid.  We all had a great time. Third time for me.  Give it a week and I could see it again. 

It's my third viewing today, and the last screening at my local cinema.

Could be the last time I hear a JW score in an actual cinema...:crymore:

The first time was 1978...:lsabre:

Have read that it's clear that Gerwig and Baumbach wanted the satire to be sharper, but as it obviously wouldn't have got made without Mattel being heavily involved it pulls its punches.  

On 16/7/2023 at 5:18 AM, Andy said:

Seemed appreciate since they took me to Raiders as a kid.

You got the better end of the deal.

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

We live in a weird world where Indiana Jones is a box office bomb and Barbie will be a monster hit.

If it were Raiders, it would be the other way around.

9 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Have read that it's clear that Gerwig and Baumbach wanted the satire to be sharper, but as it obviously wouldn't have got made without Mattel being heavily involved it pulls its punches.  

Hopefully there is an unrated cut on the blu ray

For the first time since I moved to my little town in Ohio I went to get tickets for a movie and found that I couldn't get the seats I wanted: Oppenheimer. So I'm going to a Sunday evening show.

To be honest, they are probably better movies too. Dead Reckoning definitely was. I don't mind Dial of Destiny, and might even catch it the third time this week to listen to the score in context once more, but the film doesn't feel essential or special. Which, in some sense, is worse than being terrible. I'm grateful we have the new score though. I really enjoy it.

Karol

The destiny of this movie seemed sealed from the start. It marked the end of Harrison Ford's portrayal of Indiana Jones, and also the final collaboration with composer John Williams. Furthermore, Steven Spielberg declined to direct it. The film, which I haven't seen yet, appears to avoid an abrupt ending by not killing off Indy but also lacks the hope of future sequels, making its underperformance at the box office unsurprising.

Who would want to watch a movie with such a predetermined fate?

I think, the main issue is that the movie feels very much like a James Mangold movie than a Spielberg movie and not a very good one. Somehow I got more Indy vibes at watching Jungle Cruise.

On 20/07/2023 at 6:23 PM, Sweeping Strings said:

It's still surprisingly very sharp, if there was executive meddling at any stage they've done a great job at hiding it.

On 20/07/2023 at 3:02 AM, Edmilson said:

We live in a weird world where Indiana Jones is a box office bomb and Barbie will be a monster hit.

Barbie was written and directed by genuinely talented people with interesting styles (Gerwig and Baumbach as writers, Gerwig directing), and with a marketing budget comparable to the The Force Awakens. DoD's marketing was pretty poor IMO and definitely contributed to its wet-blanket reception (that and the Cannes debacle) - it's clear Disney are pulling back in a major way. The whole Barbenheimer meme was also a tremendous - and crucially, organic - push for Barbie; you can't compete with the zeitgeist. 

Not to give too much credit to those Mickey Mouse fuckers but maybe deep down they knew Indy V was only gonna appeal to fans and sacrificed the casual and that's why they pulled back.

Does a shit ton of marketing still bring in the casuals to this franchise in this day and age? Idk

Marketing wasn't the problem. People know what an Indiana Jones movie is. They got 4 other movies as references. A Barbie film on the other hand, can go 100 different directions and marketing was key to success. Spending $300 million on Indiana Jones just wasn't smart (with the pandemic, maybe there wasn't a choice) regardless of marketing. 

I know this sounds off rails, but I wish Williams realized the sinking ship that DOD would become and asked to compose for Barbie instead. I would be 20 times more curious to see what a John Williams Barbie score would sound like than another Indiana Jones. 

10 hours ago, Mephariel said:

I know this sounds off rails, but I wish Williams realized the sinking ship that DOD would become and asked to compose for Barbie instead. I would be 20 times more curious to see what a John Williams Barbie score would sound like than another Indiana Jones. 

Imagine a John Williams/Dua Lipa collaboration.

Dance the Night - Orchestral version

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I would LOVE to hear something  like this. 100 times more than Indiana Jones.

I assume it would be a somewhat jazzy score? Anyway, we'll never know..

if i were the director of DOD i would freak out the man by bringing up his music and other's from the sixties.