Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (Disney Records Original Soundtrack Album) - NO FILM SPOILERS!

Jay

20 minutes ago, Signals said:

That brings up an interesting question, what historical figures has he scored?

Lincoln

Nixon (too recent?)

JFK?

Adams?

Oskar Schindler may qualify as well. And wasn't Mel Gibson's character in The Patriot based on a real figure from the American Independence War?

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I've slightly lost the 'hey, this is good!' factor I got when I first heard it. I think I was mostly just pleased that this score doesn't have the massive problem KotCS has in its mid section.

I also think that generally, the action here is nowhere near as good as Williams used to do. He's got some very fun orchestration and melody in places, but the structure, build-ups and general excitement I get from (some random ones) Quidditch, Third Year or T-Rex Rescue just aren't here and it strongly feels to me like after the Airport/Syracuse cues, it just sort of stops without any proper resolution.

Tuk Tuk does have the nice action treatment of Helena's theme, but when it's not doing that it's just typical Williams zylophone and racing strings. There's absolutely zero new or unexpected going on here.

I guess I'm concluding that overall this is a fine job and has a sprinkling of moments where he came up with something really nice, but the man's 90 and is understandably using reliable, but very much trodden techniques for the most part.

I know it was just a random example but T-Rex Rescue is one of the best action cues written in the history of cinema so it probably isn't a fair comparison. :)

2 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

speaking of which....I could genuinely see the academy liking Helena's Theme so much that DoD wins best score.

What a trip that would be!  I mean shit, if ALL the sequel trilogy movies can be nominated, then DoD can too!

Because it's a summer release, it's a lot easier to spread awareness for throughout the campaign trail instead of coming near the end like the Sequel scores.

If all else fails, John will probably get another Best Instrumental Composition Grammy.

20 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

SOME TIMESTAMPS - 

Nazi Theme 1

Reveal hidden contents

Nazi Theme 2 

Reveal hidden contents

Nazi Theme 3

Reveal hidden contents

Voller Theme 1

Reveal hidden contents

Archimedes Theme 

Reveal hidden contents

Dial Of Destiny Theme 1

Reveal hidden contents

(So many bad guy themes/motifs).

Also there are SEVERAL other short motifs. This is a dense score. It will take crowdsourcing effort from all of us to nail all of this down.

Are you sure that what you have down for Voller’s theme isn’t the dial theme?

Just now, TheUlyssesian said:

It seems to correspond to all instances of Voller appearing or doing something no? 

It also appears with Helena and Indy with the dial. The impression I got was that it’s the dial theme.

3 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

There's lots of discussion on FSM about issues with the sound on this release but I haven't noticed anyone here mention it. I plan to listen tomorrow but was wondering if anyone here had any comments about this.

There is a weird kind of thumping sound at the beginning of the Prologue (1.24). But I can only hear it with my headphones.

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

Michael Dukakis! 

Williams is a Democrat, that's one of the reasons he's a genius. :heart:

Come on, someone write his religion and political views

https://hollowverse.com/~kg/kg%3A%2Fm%2F0146pg

2 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Re: The people over at FSM complaining about the mix… It sounds better than the mix on practically any of Giacchino’s scores; do they always complain about those as well?

Yeah, the recording or mix is terrible. Trumpets sound flat and that timpani is overmixed. The overall recording/mix makes the orchestra sound really small. 

-Erik-

26 minutes ago, Erik Woods said:

Yeah, the recording or mix is terrible. Trumpets sound flat and that timpani is overmixed. The overall recording/mix makes the orchestra sound really small. 

-Erik-

Huh, I think the trumpets sound about how they usually do in these LA recordings (which sometimes may be a tad on the flat side, but I’ve not noticed anything too egregious in this score), and the timpani hasn’t bothered me yet. But I’ll take a closer listen.

Without getting into spoilers, is the Soundtrack track list in chronological order as per how it plays in the film? If not, has anyone figured out yet what the chronological order would be (without having to split or edit any tracks)? 

On 30/06/2023 at 3:11 PM, Panama Jack said:

Without getting into spoilers, is the Soundtrack track list in chronological order as per how it plays in the film? If not, has anyone figured out yet what the chronological order would be (without having to split or edit any tracks)? 

18, 3, 5, 4, 6-17, 2, 1

2 hours ago, Erik Woods said:

-Erik-

Flat as in under pitch, or as in lacking dimensionality? They sound in tune to me, but definitely a different sound from the st. I'm not sure the timpani is overmixed so much as miked too closely, a growing problem in the classical world. 

2 hours ago, King Mark said:

I was thinking that Helena's Theme in the first 1.07 of Prologue (which I think is unused in the film) is an alternate of To Morroco (2.06-end). it's has the same celeste intro and length

yeah me too as I've said a few times. I got stuck playing the last minute and a half of prologue in a loop when I first listened to the OST.

I've only just noticed it is also heard right in the middle of Centuries Join Hands

I'm quite fond of the score overall but is anyone else having trouble appreciating the slower version of the Raider's March that Williams employs in New York, 1969? I guess it was his way of acknowledging the character's advanced age but it doesn't quite work for me. 

21 hours ago, Damien F said:

Yes, that worked out well in Solo with John Powell working on Williams' themes.

But if I had a choice between some other composer adapting Williams' themes or Williams writing the whole score, I'd always choose the latter.

I am sorry. But I like some Powells music but most sounds like how to train your dragon. Cant stand the percussion driven tracks (lazy) and use of high almost folk flute flourishes and guitar (or what it is) in Solo. He can do beautiful music - Landos closet is amazing love theme, absolutely stunning but then he always return to his HTTYD style 😑

11 minutes ago, Romão said:

Battle of Syracuse really is a great little gem. It's the closest Williams has ever gotten to scoring a swords and sandals epic. I do seem to hear some traces of Alex North, Tiomkin and maybe even Cordell in there. I love it

Now that you mention Alex North, I realize it vaguely reminds me of Leonard Rosenman's music for the ape soldiers' marching in Beneath the Planet of the Apes as well, but apart from the thumping motif and the synthesized prepared piano there appears to be little resemblance.

5 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Archimedes' theme is my new favorite Indy mystery theme! I love how it is featured in the prologue, it really deserves it's own concert suite! Too bad there is so little of it in the actual film!

I’d venture 4:08 to end of Prolog IS the concert suite of Archimedes’ Theme. It has a relatively clean beginning & a clean ending obviously. 

As to why there is little of his theme in the film - well that is because - 

Spoiler

there’s little of him in the film. His theme only shows up when they visit his tomb and then when we actually see him during the climax.

24 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

Maybe there will be an additional expanded album with an additional concert suite or two?

Maybe ...

Expanded albums very rarely, if ever, contain additional concert suites. The whole point of those is to include them in the OST