HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs

Jay

2 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I have to admit I was a bit mystified that when the Jurassic anniversary set came out and presented the extra music in beautifully curated, arranged suites, that you weren't interested at all. It wasn't losing his original album architecture, more posing the question of how the album might look had Williams wanted to represent a few more ideas on the album.

C'mon, the JP OST contains all the important cues.

Don't want to derail this thread, but I thought the anniversary suites added a bit of variety and colour that would have benefitted the original album.

Or, are we back to this bizarre state where, LLL having done their wonderful box and reissues, everyone actually prefers the OST and the extra cues are just 'nice to have'? It doesn't work like that with JW :lol:

I think Thor once mentioned, that each year for his work he listens to aproximately 2000 new scores. This might more explain his position. And I highly appreciate, that he still finds time to work out playlists representing the essence of the scores for himself. 

And I don't feel lessoned by him by that view in anyway as I have different listening habbits and a different taste anyway. Still his view is always enriching and often helpful. I don't see any point in struggling about that. 

That's probably a contributing factor but I think it's more down to a lack of interest in the music as heard in the film.

Although I would also say that the more pretentious someone gets with their reconceptualisation argument, the more they lose me. I'm sure Williams could release an album where the entire thing is in reverse chronological order and Thor would find a way to explain why Williams is a genius. I don't know whether it's just the side effects of wanting the album to be listenable or if it's a genuine belief that an album which completely changes the thematic and narrative structure of the source material makes for better listening.

This Thor - Anti-Thor argument is becoming like the vax - anti-vax debate. 

We should all agree that we like Thor, he’s one of Stan Lee’s and Jack Kirby’s best comic book heroes. :)

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I think Thor once mentioned, that each year for his work he listens to aproximately 2000 new scores. This might more explain his position. And I highly appreciate, that he still finds time to work out playlists representing the essence of the scores for himself. 

He has time and energy to listen to 2000 scores? That’s more than 2000 hours, 83 days worth of music. It means that he listens to 5 scores per day on average, every day. I’d go crazy if I had to listen to that much music every single

day, let alone trying to comprehend and appreciate them. Those Norwegians must really know something. 

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

We need a Thor Appreciation thread where we can continue the debate until the end of time.

But then someone will make a Thor Disenchantment Thread as a counter attack, and I’m boycotting it. :)

By the way, I wonder why Thor's slightly dogmatic preference for OSTs gets so much criticism by pointing  to the heart blood and effort for the curation of C&C programs, but on the other hand the practice of some fans creating their own fan edits of scores and single pieces not, even though I find that in regards of the production effort of the albums and the composers' work and intention much more questionable. 

I just did it with the two Bean movie scores and yes, you have to know the material well. In these cases I'm usually doing two things: working out which versions were used in the film (the labelling is often wrong) and deciding sections I like and sections I don't need in my album.

I tend to do less editing nowadays so I occasionally end up with a 15 second track. However my focus is mostly on ending up with an album where I know everything within is interesting and I'm not wasting my time to listen to 75 mins of music when only 45 of that is interesting to me.

It took forever to work out what the hell I was doing with Sleepy Hollow given the barrage of extra tracks and the fact that almost nothing matches the film. Listening to Intrada's set out of the box is like hearing the same music six times in a row.

Same goes for War of the Worlds where I largely like Williams' selection but wanted a presentation closer to Intrada's.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

You know, I've got this cd before Christmas, and still I haven't listened to it! :blush:

I just want to listen with a clear mind, doing absolutely nothing else!

Same here. Well, almost. Following Maestro Jay's instructions I put in Disc 3 to "experience it like a musical". I listened to a couple of tracks, then I turned it off (probably had something else to do) and haven't listened to it since. I can't listen to classical and film music while doing anything else like working or reading or eating. Listening to music needs my total attention. So I haven't listened to Disc 1 & 2 yet, it's waiting (im)patiently on my shelf for me. But the best thing is that when the day will finally come to listen to it, I will have the set. :)

2 hours ago, filmmusic said:

You know, I've got this cd before Christmas, and still I haven't listened to it! :blush:

I just want to listen with a clear mind, doing absolutely nothing else!

I couldn't do that, it would put me to sleep, it's just too good.

5 hours ago, filmmusic said:

You know, I've got this cd before Christmas, and still I haven't listened to it!

Wow, that really is commitment! I got mine for Christmas and was listening to Disc 3 by that evening. We’ve come away for New Year so I had several hours in the car and have listened to it a couple of more times.

Ah, which actually brings me to a minor disappointment with the Hook discs: they don’t have CD text so I can’t quickly see what the name of the current track is whilst driving. Sabrina (just to pick another recent MM expansion) did, which was appreciated.

Mark

Hook isn't listed anymore on Intrada's site. I guess all CDs from the 2nd batch are sold and they won't have any more...

On 02/01/2024 at 5:18 PM, QuartalHarmony said:

Wow, that really is commitment! I got mine for Christmas and was listening to Disc 3 by that evening. We’ve come away for New Year so I had several hours in the car and have listened to it a couple of more times.

Ah, which actually brings me to a minor disappointment with the Hook discs: they don’t have CD text so I can’t quickly see what the name of the current track is whilst driving. Sabrina (just to pick another recent MM expansion) did, which was appreciated.

Mark

If you make a copy of it (which you should do for your car anyway) the CD-text will often download off the internet database and be applied to the copy.

It's funny, because CD-Text was a Sony invention (or at least they were responsible for making it a standard), and Sony releases traditionally could be relied on to have it - and the OST was a Sony product (but it predates CD-Text by several years).

There's a quote from Mike right at the end of the Hook Movie podcast (just after 49 mins here):

I think that if it sells out, they'll do a new licence and get more.

So even if it keeps going out of stock and eventually sells the whole lot, you have it from the licensing expert himself that they'll probably do more.

And I hope so, as I need it to come back at Intrada.

Picked mine up from the post office this morning.

For a second I thought that Peter's sword on the back cover was a crack in the jewel case...

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, emailed both Intrada and La-La Land so hopefully they can get this resolved quickly because I’d really love to read through the booklet. The set is a fantastic product otherwise!

42 minutes ago, Loopy said:

Something else that surprised me on Disc 3 was the "When You're Alone" instrumental. I'd heard an instrumental version of that before, which I assumed was from the previous 'complete' release, but since I never owned that one, I had never verified it. The version on Disc 3 is quite a different arrangement, so now I'm wondering where that other version comes from. I own the Williams/Spielberg Boston Pops CDs, so it's not on one of those. Hook is one of my favorites of all Williams' soundtracks, so I'd love to own any other versions he's performed.

I think that previous version is the one by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -

1 hour ago, Loopy said:

I was finally able to listen to Disc 3 today (I wanted time to really focus on it and even re-listen to anything I wanted), and like everyone has been saying, the songs are revelatory. I was afraid I was a little overhyped for them after all this time, but they did not disappoint. They're like a Rosetta Stone for the rest of the soundtrack, and I can't wait to listen to it all again with this new knowledge.

Something else that surprised me on Disc 3 was the "When You're Alone" instrumental. I'd heard an instrumental version of that before, which I assumed was from the previous 'complete' release, but since I never owned that one, I had never verified it. The version on Disc 3 is quite a different arrangement, so now I'm wondering where that other version comes from. I own the Williams/Spielberg Boston Pops CDs, so it's not on one of those. Hook is one of my favorites of all Williams' soundtracks, so I'd love to own any other versions he's performed.

Great review, now I'm looking forward to listening to my copy.

29 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

I think that previous version is the one by The City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra -

Yes, that's it! Thank you! Now I have to decide if I want a version not conducted by Williams. XD That's a nice problem to have.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Great review, now I'm looking forward to listening to my copy.

I am excited for you!

9 hours ago, Loopy said:

Yes, that's it! Thank you! Now I have to decide if I want a version not conducted by Williams. XD That's a nice problem to have.

If you don't mine my saying, I don't get this at all. If you enjoy the performance and what it would add to a playlist, why does it matter who conducted it?

love 'The Banquet' featured on one of the SS/JW complications as it has a more concert-like opening and generally has a nice alternate sound to the actual score.

On 31/12/2023 at 9:47 AM, Thor said:

I've finally acquired the set as files. As alluded to earlier, it doesn't hold much interest to me (I even think the old Epic CD is a tad too long, even if HOOK is in my list of top 10 JW scores), BUT...it has allowed me the opportunity to create a separate "Hook - The Musical" album of sorts. 29 minutes, neat and succinct, including the songs (that weren't on the OST) as well as a couple of source cues.

hook.jpg

I would include the songs from the main program, if I were fiddling with disc 3: We don't want to grow up, Pick them up and When you're alone. And if I would attempt a "Songs and other non-orchestral Material" album, what your inclusion of Concertina Medley suggests, I would also include Banning back home here. Saying that, perhaps I will do that now; could be a neat idea.

2 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

I would include the songs from the main program, if I were fiddling with disc 3: We don't want to grow up, Pick them up and When you're alone. And if I would attempt a "Songs and other non-orchestral Material" album, what your inclusion of Concertina Medley suggests, I would also include Banning back home here. Saying that, perhaps I will do that now; could be a neat idea.

I thought about it, but I really wanted to separate between this "album" and the OST. Not much overlap, other than thematic cameos. If I want the OST experience, with the cues you mention, I'll play the ol' Epic CD.

Back in stock!

LA-LA LAND ALERT!!!

JOHN WILLIAMS' "HOOK - THE ULTIMATE EDITION (3-CD SET)" is BACK IN STOCK!

We're very happy to announce our acclaimed HOOK THE ULTIMATE EDITION 3-CD SET by John Williams is back in stock and available! Don't miss out on this amazing title - these restocks sell quickly!

HookHiRes_Web.jpg

Hook-environmental_Web.jpg

Expect 10 business days from the date you place your order for it to ship from our warehouse and, then, we respectfully ask customers to wait up to 4 weeks to inquire about packages/deliveries not yet received. All such inquiries should be made to info@lalaland-ent.com – Thank you

NOTE: New orders may not be combined with previous or current orders.

© 2024 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.

On 26/01/2024 at 1:44 AM, Loopy said:

I am excited for you!

Let me make it easier for you. Anything City of Prague --> recycle bin. They've released so much garbage and so little of quality that I don't even bother anymore.

Prague did a decent version of Apollo 13 where I sort of prefer their slower version of the main titles.

Other than that..... hmmm. Not exactly glowing thoughts either. However I think James Fitzpatrick has remarked that the main function of these re-recordings is to be licensed as stock music, where hearing a slightly dodgy interpretation of Gladiator or LotR under some dialogue for a documentary is what's most needed.

It's rather childish to lump an entire orchestra together. More often than not, in my opinion, it depends on the recording, and the conductor. For my part, I have a few CDs from the Prague Philharmonic that I believe are highly regarded, such as Lawrence of Arabia (2010, Jarre, conducted by Raine), Obsession (2015, Herrmann, conducted by Raine), and The Essential Nino Rota (2003, various conductors).

They would be fantastic if they stopped playing sickening arrangements. Play the pieces or don't play them. Yes, I know about licensing, but I don't care. Nobody arranges Mozart for orchestra either. Do it right or don't do it at all. Their string section in particular is outstanding.