Will JW score the Rey Skywalker movie?

crumbs

Will JW score the Rey Skywalker movie M  

79 members have voted

1. 1. See above.

It would be nice to have one last, not-screwed-with film for him to score, and he obviously likes Daisy Ridley enough, but I also think he's happily retired from Star Wars.

18 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he writes a theme, I'll be shocked if he does the score 

Exactly. Maybe a theme, if we're very, very lucky.

I could see him doing a title card piece with Rey's theme as the basis--maybe a couple of other themes.  The probability of him scoring the whole movie is the same as the probability of me watching this movie.   

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The probability of him scoring the whole movie is the same as the probability of me watching this movie.   

I literally agree, since I'll watch the movie only if he scores it.

20 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

There's a Rey Skywalker movie in the works?

The things I learn when I check in on jwfan! 

Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing, Stephen Knight writing)

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

And another Thank you. 

I only check the John Williams content of these forums; not much time for the rest of the world on offer here. 

So, Daisy and Disney will give us a ray of a new hope?

As much as I'd love to have JW back in the SW universe, I think him just writing the occasional motif or theme would work better than scoring a full SW movie.  

4 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Rey's already got a theme :)

So does Indiana Jones but that didn't stop them from asking him to contribute...

To be clear I'd be indifferent at worst to almost any other composer doing this as long as her theme's in there. Regarding Williams, I feel the same as I did about Indy 5, which is that I don't care whether this movie happens or not, but basically satisfied with anything that manages to put another John Williams soundtrack into the universe. 

I would have to imagine that both Daisy and KK would like him to be involved in some way.  I think yea, nay, or here are some themes is 100% up to Williams.  

Maybe this is the only one he'd say yes to and that's why it's going forward lol

Kennedy's talking and all he hears is "zzzzz rogue squadzzzzz patty zzzzzz rian zzzzzz taika zzzzzz new zealand zzzzzzz REY

7 hours ago, Score said:

I literally agree, since I'll watch the movie only if he scores it.

I won’t watch it even if JW scores it. I’m done with Disney Star Wars. And I’m only interested in the score if it won’t be done by Giacchino, Zimmer, Balfe or Göransson. 

50 minutes ago, John Takis said:

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he asks to be involved with this new film, so long as his health and schedule permit.

Very true. And considering the script hasn’t even been finished and the film is planned to begin shooting in April next year or later and will possibly be released in May, 2026, so the score would have to be written in late 2024 the earliest, when Williams will be pushing 93. Let’s hope that his health will allow him to write a couple of themes or cues. A reteaming with Powell would be ideal imho, their collaboration on SOLO was very successful. 

Yep. Especially because, unlike Indy 5, this Rey movie is supposed to kick start another SW saga, or so it seems (I doubt Disney is producing this without the goal of having more sequels should this one be successful). And if it indeed is the beginning of a new trilogy, JW will be almost 100 (!) when it concludes.

37 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yep. Especially because, unlike Indy 5, this Rey movie is supposed to kick start another SW saga, or so it seems (I doubt Disney is producing this without the goal of having more sequels should this one be successful). And if it indeed is the beginning of a new trilogy, JW will be almost 100 (!) when it concludes.

The kick start aspect makes it more likely, in my mind, that KK will plead with him for a couple of themes and big title card (if they go that route).  But, age is age.  

Looking at how much criticism Williams earned even here amoung hardcore fans here on the forum for his Dial of Destiny score, I would in his position say "Fuck Off!" being asked to contribute music to the new movie. Spending all the effort for just being told by fans, that his work is just not as good as it used to be, is not worth it.

If he still enjoys it and thinks it's worth doing, who cares about us? Why would he have any awareness of what we're saying? In general I think the Dial of Destiny score was perfectly well-received by fans and critics and there's a lot in there any film composer would kill to have written. I'd slap him right across his beautiful face if he's not proud of this score. 

I'm only skeptical that he would feel any further urgency to be involved in the ongoing revival of these franchises. The Star Wars sequel trilogy and Dial of Destiny were punctuation marks, Galaxy's Edge was a special event, and Obi-Wan and Han Solo were old friends who didn't have their own pieces.

If they butter him up enough and he can justify it creatively or sentimentally because it's his gal pal, he might write something for this. Otherwise I think that kid Steven is his only great love remaining in film. 

hope so, rather than think so. Any opportunity for more Williams music is a "yes, please"-scenario in my book. As long as the schedule doesn't clash with a Spielberg-film, in which case I'd probably prefer he did that instead.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

To be fair, the forum has always had at least one guy who calls every new JW work a disappointment.  It's a JWfan tradition 

Probably my most memorable online experience was the few days after the release of the TFA soundtrack when a lot of JWFan users (including myself) collectively went from being quite disappointed with it to appreciating how great it is.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

If JWFan existed in 1980:

"This Empire Strikes Back score is so disappointing! Yoda's theme is laughable, the action music is so unfocused and chaotic compared to Star Wars! And why the hell did he write a theme for Darth Vader? He already had a theme in SW! He should retire after such a massively disappointing score."

No way.

1 hour ago, Once said:

hope so, rather than think so. Any opportunity for more Williams music is a "yes, please"-scenario in my book. As long as the schedule doesn't clash with a Spielberg-film, in which case I'd probably prefer he did that instead.

This.

42 minutes ago, JTW said:

No way.

oduggm83m02c1.jpg

We know a lot of fans have "accepted" TESB, but we wonder how much they really love it as much as they loved SW. For us, TESB left out the most important ingredient: love--from which flowed an innocent sense of fun. Without this, the film is a peeled zero. It is not for us any great piece of literature, philosophy, or religion. The filmmakers took themselves too seriously and fandom is following suit. It happened in Star Trek and when this happens, we split. 

To us, TESB is a dead thing with no life. 

I think for the most stubborn 1980 JWFanners, the big hangup would be that the movie is no fun and so they can't get into the soundtrack like Star Wars. They'd probably say it's not bad but too operatic, too dramatic, don't wanna relisten to it. 

Beyond the letters he receives, I don't imagine that Williams is too aware of what fans think. Anyway, with his Star Wars legacy more than cemented, I don't see him jumping at the chance to do more (Prove me wrong, John!), but rather devoting himself to concert works, and as others have said maybe being coaxed by Spielberg again.

3 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think for the most stubborn 1980 JWFanners, the big hangup would be that the movie is no fun and so they can't get into the soundtrack like Star Wars. They'd probably say it's not bad but too operatic, too dramatic, don't wanna relisten to it. 

ESB opening crawl:

"It is a dark time for the Rebellion."

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

We know a lot of fans have "accepted" TESB, but we wonder how much they really love it as much as they loved SW. For us, TESB left out the most important ingredient: love--from which flowed an innocent sense of fun. Without this, the film is a peeled zero. It is not for us any great piece of literature, philosophy, or religion. The filmmakers took themselves too seriously and fandom is following suit. It happened in Star Trek and when this happens, we split. 

To us, TESB is a dead thing with no life. 

We were talking about the score. This letter doesn't mention it.