Quartet Announces: HEIDI/ JANE EYRE (2CD)(John Williams) Remastered and Expanded

Amer

6 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:
19 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

image.jpeg

Fantastic compilation album by the way.

Expand  

I didn't know this existed, but plan to get a copy now!

giphy.webp

On 8/12/2023 at 11:41 AM, Amer said:

Revised, Remastered and Slightly Expanded Scores

Slightly expanded 😂😂😂😂

Still gon’ double-double dip though. :blush2:

17 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Wasn't Jane Eyre on a list in FSM (the actual print magazine) of Scores You Must Own To Call Yourself a John Williams Fan? Back when the only way to get it was to pay hundreds of dollars aftermarket? (This was before Ebay. Dammit, I'm old now.)

Yes, it was. Which was very frustrating for me in the 90s. I did end up having to suffice with a CD-R, with a crappy cardboard type xerox of the artwork, until it was finally reissued on Silva in the early 2000s, I think, and I could finally purchase a proper, legit release. It's the only one I still have and will continue to have, but I'm open to changing the digital file version with this new one in my iTunes.

I've been collecting John Williams music since 1994, although for the first years my only sources of information were what CDs I could find in local stores and whatever the liner notes revealed. But I've been online since 1997, been a member of film music message boards since then (FSM first, then MM.com, then JWFan), and was a subscriber to the FSM magazine for a few years around that time. Jane Eyre has always been listed as one of the must-have Williams scores, and rightfully so.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

mikematessino.com? :lol:

Ah, you're so young. :)

I fondly remember us emigrating from FSM to Peter Kelly's MM (moviemusic.com), for a period of time, when the FSM board went down around the millennium turnover. Good times.

3 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I've been collecting John Williams music since 1994, although for the first years my only sources of information were what CDs I could find in local stores and whatever the liner notes revealed. But I've been online since 1997, been a member of film music message boards since then (FSM first, then MM.com, then JWFan), and was a subscriber to the FSM magazine for a few years around that time. Jane Eyre has always been listed as one of the must-have Williams scores, and rightfully so.

You are so young!

On 08/12/2023 at 3:57 AM, bollemanneke said:

My goodness. Mike is unstoppable! Can't wait to hear what he did with Jane Eyre. Here's hoping he managed to get rid of that distortion.

Unfortunately the distortion is still there and very noticeable to some people and there is so much Mike can do to fix this issue. It was briefly discussed here.

Basil Wrathbone:

The clip still exhibits the unfortunate outburst of distortion (overload?) in "To Thornfield" that is on previous releases. Maybe there's a very small improvement, but it's still distracting, particularly with headphones.
But... I notice the newly-released alternative "bonus" version of that track does NOT have that burst of distortion. Was it not possible to work some additional Matessino magic and adjust/stitch-in the corresponding small section from the clean alternative version, to replace that bit in the main program that was distorted?

MM:

I addressed as much as I could but it is baked in to the album master.

I'm still getting this set regardless tho I'm sure he made improvements in other ways

37 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

You are so young!

We want your life force @Marian Schedenig!

IMG_3399.jpeg

35 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

How on earth did it get baked into the albu master? Why would anyone do that?

I think I know what they're talking about but I'm not sure of the terminology for this or very familiar with the subject so correct me if I'm completely wrong on any of this to those that are more familiar with the process. Sometimes older masters can't be read because the tape is stuck with itself and it can't be used at all, so the solution I've heard they used for music elements is putting the tape in an oven to loosen it. It seems to work pretty well most of the time but unless we're taking Mike too literally here, it seems the distortion was a defect originated from baking the tape. This technique doesn't always make the tapes better tho with little to no detractors, I've heard in the FSM forums that Vertigo's music tapes were put through that same process and as a result the tape disintegrated because of how sensitive it was but I have never been able to found the source behind that claim so I'm not sure if it's legit. Again if we misinterpreted what Mike said and it was just a figure of speech and it has nothing to do with that process then it's probably the result of tape being 50 years old and in probably less then ideal storage conditions. 

15 minutes ago, Holko said:

Yeah I think this is the case, "baked in" is commonly used to mean something is inherently already present in the source and not really removable.

Oh I haven't heard of that expression before my bad

2 minutes ago, Slitherjump said:

Oh I haven't heard of that expression before my bad

But thanks for teaching some of us about this process of putting tape in an oven. Interesting, even if it sounds like a bad idea. lol

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

But thanks for teaching some of us about this process of putting tape in an oven. Interesting, even if it sounds like a bad idea. lol

They even do it with circuit boards…

I dunno I'm not too hyped for this release. Seems like there's a new version of Jane Eyre every few years. i might grab it later combined with something else if SAE has it

the movie is bland to painful (then, again, I never found the source all that gripping either).  I have always thought of this movie as the one where Williams really comes into his own.  This isn't just good film music, this is damn good music as such.  

This CD is a must have, given the people involved.  Plus the Heidi/Superbowl angle is beautiful.  There is something deeply satisfying to me about Williams's perfect pastoral music scoring the anger the so many people.  

19 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I watched the movie Jane Air today

I have both Heidi and Jane Eyre on the former official releases, so I think I will abstain from this, although it is a nice set. I still hope that some day the tapes of the actual film score will resurface, prompting another more expanded release. 

People familiar with the Jane Eyre movie and score, what are the highlights among the missing music on those 7 reels that may not exist anymore? Are there "essential" cues that weren't released because they couldn't be found?

It's been decades since I watched Jane Eyre (on VHS no less) so I don't remember much about the music in film, but I can't imagine there is too much missing from the OST. 

1 hour ago, Gurkensalat said:

I have both Heidi and Jane Eyre on the former official releases, so I think I will abstain from this, although it is a nice set. I still hope that some day the tapes of the actual film score will resurface, prompting another more expanded release. 

I'm considering the same approach TBH, purely for economic reasons. If this release hangs around for a while I may pick it up, but there are other priorities for me right now (such as MacArthur).

On 08/12/2023 at 7:13 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

image.jpeg

Fantastic compilation album by the way.

Yes...  

remember when i saw this at a reccord store....    

I had the JANE  EYRE  suite  ( Boston Pops Orch.  CD ) 

... But I  went total :w00t:bowdown:music::drool: when i saw and heard THE  REIVERS  track.....    wished there was more from it.....

3 hours ago, Holko said:

Yes, by this point Mike and Friends looked probably through everything possible and the only hope is his neighbor throwing them in the trash à la Bride of Frankenstein, or reels randomly being found sitting uncatalogued on shelves where they shouldn't be and nobody knows about them, like Dracula just chilling at Varese for a decade, or the new JE material released here. Or AI cleanup of the film audio. Or complete rerecordings.

Jane Eyre as such a fan favourite would really deserve a proper and complete re-recording. 

Maybe someday...

Ordered. Was in two minds about it, but I work with a couple of very nice Spaniards who are going home for Christmas and were happy for me to buy them this and The Long Goodbye as Christmas presents. If it turns out they don’t like film music, they’ll bring them back in January when we go back to work. Or something like that.

Mark

14 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Jane Eyre as such a fan favourite would really deserve a proper and complete re-recording. 

Maybe someday...

Unfortunately the sheet music is lost.

20 minutes ago, Steve said:

Unfortunately the sheet music is lost.

Fortunately people like Leigh Phillips can reconstruct scores entirely by ear listening to the mixed film audio when necessary (see: The Salamander).

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Fortunately people like Leigh Phillips can reconstruct scores entirely by ear listening to the mixed film audio when necessary (see: The Salamander).

Yavar

Yes that's possible, but a lot of work I would think.

I like how Williams reconstructed parts of it and created the suite. It's nice that he added brass to the arrangements. 

35 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yes that's possible, but a lot of work I would think.

Leigh relishes that kind of work. He’s told me on the Goldsmith General Electric Theater project that he actually most enjoys the challenge of reconstructing certain scores entirely by ear. Having the written music almost makes it too easy for him!

Yavar

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yavar

Shame that the original scores were destroyed but a reconstructed re-recording would be fantastic. I think e.g. the re-recording of Nino Rota's Romeo and Juliet and Goldsmith's QBVII and The Salamander are great examples of this.

45 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I would too welcome a new recording.

And we all know the original tape would miraculously turn up as soon as the sessions are finished.

In this case I would consider it a win all around. I really wish a Tadlow complete rerecording of The Ten Commandments had happened before the Intrada set, for example.

Yavar