John Williams’ First and Last Great Score

JTN

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Wow, this thread could get end up escalating fast…

Why do you think that?  We are a civilized bunch.

Hey JTW, to answer the question on JW's first and last great score, I called your mom....

To answer, the first is tough, but something about How to Steal a Million seems great.  And, yes, DoD, particularly the third act, is great.  Neither of these is a masterpiece, though. For the latter category, I would go a bit more mundane and say Jaws and AI.   

2 hours ago, Tom said:

We are a civilized bunch.  

I wonder how long we'd survive in a 'Lord of the Flies' island setting...

We'd be wrestling the conch shell away from each other to argue which score or movie was "the best."

Jane Eyre and The Force Awakens, I would say. 

I don't think TLJ and ROS are great as a whole (though they have great highlights of course).

The Post and The Fabelmans are too small to be considered great (although I love the simplicity and the beauty of the two themes from the Fablemans). 

And Indy 5 has great themes, but is a very uneven score because of the copy-pasting. 

I mean that's where the designations start getting silly to me. Hook only feels like his last masterpiece to me in the sense that it's the last great score of a certain approach in that particular era of his career. But even then I don't know if that's true.

I could accept that Jaws to Schindler's List is the essential period and what will be most remembered as the heart of his legacy. Original Star Wars trilogy and the meat of his collaborations with Spielberg. That may be an outdated way of looking at it, but I would say that's his complete ascension to GOAT status, pretty much concurrent with Spielberg's. They'll be forever linked in film history. 

5 hours ago, Datameister said:

My gut reaction is Jaws / TFA. But of course, it's all a continuum. On a more generous day I might say The Cowboys / TFA

Those were the three that came to my mind. But Jane Eyre came earlier, so it must be that. Unless we count Heidi - I wouldn't rate the full score *that* highly, but The Miracle may be enough to qualify.

32 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Those were the three that came to my mind. But Jane Eyre came earlier, so it must be that. Unless we count Heidi - I wouldn't rate the full score *that* highly, but The Miracle may be enough to qualify.

In all fairness, I have close to zero familiarity with Jane Eyre, so it's possible I might agree with you once properly educated. 😊

7 hours ago, King Mark said:

First :Lost in Space

Last: Rise of Skywalker

That’s exactly what I was thinking! Those Lost in Space scores are such gems. I saw the show as a kid, and listened to the scores about 25 years later, and I was so surprised that the music was so familiar - and not just the two main themes. 

6 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I mean that's where the designations start getting silly to me. Hook only feels like his last masterpiece to me in the sense that it's the last great score of a certain approach in that particular era of his career. But even then I don't know if that's true.

He immediately followed Hook with Far and Away which is a much better score. 

4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

image.gif

Now, I’m not trying to prove my earlier point about this discussion escalating, but them’s fightin’ words.

(and I love F&A! But better than Hook? Come on)

2 hours ago, Bayesian said:

While on the topic of TFA, let us take a moment to re-appreciate what this miracle of a man was able to accomplish. First, he gives one of the most iconic movies in history perhaps the most iconic score in the history of filmmaking in 1977. That's lightning-in-a-bottle shit (and we won't even get into TESB). Then, he comes back 22 years later, the Star Wars hype machine dialed up to 11, and gives us Duel of the Fates, the Flag Parade, and Anakin's Theme (and makes it onto MTV's Total Request Live (the first and only film composer to achieve that feat) with DotF)). That's dent no. 2 in the cultural universe, and creating it is something like a World Series-winning home run with the count at 3-2. Then... jump ahead 16 years. It's time to renew Star Wars for the 21st century. Filmmaking has gone completely different by now. Blockbuster film scoring has Zimmer-fied. New director, new crop of young actors, no George Lucas... does JW have what it takes to kickstart yet another trilogy in the same culture-permeating way he did twice before? Well, doubters, Rey's Theme and March of the Resistance would like a word with you.

I look at this accomplishment a little differently: John Williams took one body of basic musical material, and had managed to spin out of it a yarn that extends across nine film scores, a trailer, several concert stage works, and pieces for a spinoff film, a miniseries AND an amusement park. In that sense its like the Ring cycle on steroids.

16 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

There are parts of Far and Away (mostly from the second half) that I personally enjoy more than some of Hook, but I’m not sure I could say Far and Away earns masterpiece status as a whole work the way Hook does.  

I’m getting really granular here. 

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Too many themes? That's a complaint I haven't heard before...

It muddies up the narrative.  Too many themes that basically have the same associations (Lost Boys Chase/The Banquet, Stick with Me/Hook-napped) or fulfill the same role emotionally (Childhood/Mothers)

My pick for first is Checkmate, if the album counts; I can't speak to the actual scores themselves.  If the album doesn't count and we're talking actual scores only, I'll go with The Rare Breed (though I'm tempted to say the Lost In Space premiere).

Dial of Destiny for last, though hopefully it won't be THE last.