HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs

Jay

One thing just looking at the tracklist - the "some additional music"/"whole bunch of chronoesque bonus"/"okay some more bonus" separation is a bit weird to me. Of course something had to happen because of the CD format limitations (which actually works out perfectly for the main program, that's a wonderful stopping and starting point) but it seems to me like pretty much all the bonus section could have been in chronoesque order together with little to no repetition and then we'd have one main and one alternate program. Oh well. Maybe there's some reasoning behind it we'll get to know in the podcast?

9 minutes ago, That_Bloke said:

you and your IJ releases can go raid a lost ark. We're hooked instead thanks

Very-good GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I've got a very long drive to do later today. Whilst I won't be able to fill four hours of it with all that Hooky goodness, I will have a smile on my face, knowing that this has happened.

So so happy... But listening to the song samples, they seem to be newly recorded for this edition. Don't you think? I mean There are reports about Julie Andrews recording Childhood but listening to the samples I does not seem her voice.

1 minute ago, jocores said:

but listening to the samples I does not seem her voice.

Uhh yes it does? 0:14 that "Make everyone shine" is sooo her

2 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if this has been in the pipeline for a while and just got held up with licensing or something.

It’s been ready for years. 

Sometimes record labels clearly state on their promo that the material was transferred from "newly discovered masters", tapes, etc, from studio's vaults, composer's x-track tapes, etc.

Some times they don't say anything and summarize it to just "newly remastered". Like the one we have here for Hook.

Is that merely a wordplay decision, or does actually reflect something about the source? Like, for example, does it mean the source of all previously-released material for Hook is the same as the previous release (albeit remastered), but they were also able to source various new cues from, say, music editors, recording engineers, etc, but not necessarily from actual tapes or masters stored in place like studio vaults or composer archives, etc?

From memory Mike said the Mondo used the same transfers done in 2011 for the previous LLL, so I suspect this release primarily uses the same transfers, mixed with new transfers for previously unreleased material (songs, new alternates, etc.) or material that used film stems on the last expansion (Ultimate War). What a relief legitimate elements have now replaced film stems.

When the first LLL expansion came out, MV said they discovered a stack of material in the Sony vaults they weren't allowed to release. It took over a decade but now, at long last, this is resolved :)

Regarding the source/remastering, the original expansion sounds fine except for the bits taken from the stems as far as I remember? It's not like they used a really inferior source - just that the source they had wasn't complete. Hence the lack of any revelatory new source for the bulk of it seems a reasonable starting point.

So I was completely wrong about this being a totally unfounded, unreasonable request, and had I been a slightly bigger fan of the score and this been the first expansion, I'd be ecstatic too :)  Excellent news for those who love this score so much, and well done for those involved.

I'll wait for reports on any increase in sound quality before making any decisions. If it turns out it sounds amazing I could be tempted to rebuild my program and add in a few curiosities.

My hope is that there's some ... shall we say... slightly less Williams-oriented goodies that didn't make manufacturing/approvals in time - I hereby now reserve the right to ask for JP/// on a daily basis, given that it's just worked for Hook!

Ordered from MB! Won't be able to listen till Christmas.

Jay, tell us how long you've known about this, please. 2013? How do you cope with these things?

It seems perfect. MM did it so how could it not be?

Indeed - I can't remember what the Prologue music ended up being used for, though I think it's been mentioned on here. Was it used on an obscure teaser, or was it intended for trailer use but never actually used?

There's this on YouTube, but they're unclear about whether it was actually released or not:

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

I'd be interested in getting just the songs, and put them together as a sort of mini version of what the original Peter Pan musical would have sounded like.

That's essentially what disc 3 looks like; the original song recordings presented alongside the score's core thematic ideas, in chronological order.

Even the OST version of Remembering Childhood made the assembly, which is a great touch (clearly Williams was partial to this track because it was ported to the previous LLL expansion as well).