The La-La Land Black Friday 2023 thread

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

JFK is one of my biggest holy grails, just like all the others JW scores for Oliver Stone.

I don't think though that there is anything substantial missing that will change your opinion of the score (having made a complete edit long ago from the blu-ray).

Anyway, if there is no John Williams in this batch, I'll be disappointed (I only purchase Williams at this point).

angry.gif

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

I only purchase Williams at this point

Me too. If there are more than one scores in a batch I'm interested in, JW always has priority. 

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

if there is no John Williams in this batch, I'll be disappointed

I'm 99% certain that there will be either a 2-or-more-CD Williams or multiple sets. Trust good ol' JTW. 

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't think though that there is anything substantial missing that will change your opinion of the score (having made a complete edit long ago from the blu-ray).

Yeah, but with the weird way this score was written and recorded but not really scored to picture for the most part, who knows how much music may have been recorded for the film but not ultimately used within it, or released on album?

Yavar

So here is my ideas for the 5 black friday albums using the price tags for the five albums   

The Mask of Zorro (2CD) 

Licence to Kill (2CD)

Moonraker (1CD)  

The Da Vinci Code (3CD) (I know this one is very unlikely but i adore this score) 

Friday the 13th Part 4 (1CD) 

I know its unlikely to get 2 Bond scores if even 1 but never know 

17 minutes ago, Jerry said:

So here is my ideas for the 5 black friday albums using the price tags for the five albums   

The Mask of Zorro (2CD) 

Licence to Kill (2CD)

Moonraker (1CD)  

The Da Vinci Code (3CD) (I know this one is very unlikely but i adore this score) 

Friday the 13th Part 4 (1CD) 

I know its unlikely to get 2 Bond scores if even 1 but never know 

Why would you think Moonraker is a single disc? Is the score that sparse?

I'd like Da Vinci too.

Also, are any Europeans going to risk ordering from LLL directly? Now that they start taking orders immediately, I daresay we could order from MB etc and get it before Christmas. 

Defintiely sticking by Godfather II and (less certainly) Spider-Man 2. A 007 expansion would be cool though. Zorro won’t surprise me. And of course… we need a Williams release!

Godfather Part II seems a no-brainer.

Hopefully some Bond, although the only ones I would be interested in are The Man with the Golden Gun, Moonraker, Octopussy and Licence to Kill.

Really hope there is a Williams title, but if there is I think it'll be something lesser like Catch Me if You Can or The Terminal. I'd love to be wrong and get The Rare Breed or Storia un a Donna.

A Horner or Silvestri premiere would be nice too.

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Why would you think Moonraker is a single disc? Is the score that sparse?

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that we're only missing like 10 minutes of music on this one, so it shouldn't be a problem to fit everything on 1 disc. If they have some legal obligation to retain the original album program, they can just do what Lukas Kendall did with the other John Barry Bond expansions in 2003 and put the new material at the end of the disc.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I'd like Da Vinci too.

Also, are any Europeans going to risk ordering from LLL directly?

I may be forgetting something that's happened, but what's the problem with ordering direct? I absolutely was if I want something.

I third Da Vinci (and I love A&D too, both in full form), but not for LLL to do. It's out there in great quality and I think there are better things for them to work on right now, i.e. less available things or more in need of remastering.

---

Broken record time. JP/// would make my year, Gladiator would be extremely cool, and The Terminal would be the icing on the cake. I'm sure there are some nice surprises that I haven't thought of.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I may be forgetting something that's happened, but what's the problem with ordering direct? I absolutely was if I want something.

Price of shipping, to the UK for Sabrina it was $20.50 from LLR, nearly the same price as the expansion itself. 

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

• Catch Me If You Can
  • The Terminal

If there's a Williams release in this batch I'm betting it's one of these two, LLR has focused on expanding Spielberg/Williams scores and these are the last two on the table they could potentially do. 

4 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Price of shipping, to the UK for Sabrina it was $20.50 from LLR, nearly the same price as the expansion itself. 

Plus VAT, plus customs, all to be negotiated with paperwork sent in when it arrives in the country, plus they're using the regular post which is slow and sits on packages from outside the EU for a while...

In comparison, MBR boosts the price a bit and their only shipping option is 17€, but they're using DHL express so it's here in 24 hours with zero additional hassle.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

I see everyone has already lost hope for JP3

I haven't :) I reckon JP3 will be one of the titles!

Complete score + alternates + film mix alternates + any unique OST combo tracks (like Bone Man Ben) if space permits. That's a solid 2CD set!

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I never wanted it in the first place. Did I already say I want HP4 and Hook? Because I really do.

Now that I own the JP3 OST I am not super curious about an expansion. I also think, a HP4 expansion would be much more interesting.

I like Davis score, but I am afraid stretching it doesn't make it any richer or more interesting. It rather loses its tension, I am afraid.

Funny enough, I like both scores, JP3 and HP4, but both movies are for me the worst in the series.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

because I think HP4 has a more representative OST to start with

Not very familiar with the score then, I guess.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

JP3's OST is based on a Williams approach of lack of chronology and suites and omits almost all of the music from the last act - it doesn't represent the full score very well at all. It's also got a major issue with sound and really needs a remastering from source.

Whoever assembled that promo album didn't understand how to fold 5.1 into stereo, because it sounds monaural.

Even the OST sounds mediocre by modern standards. It could definitely use a modern remix and remaster.

Hard to believe the same technician recorded Matrix Reloaded, which sounds comparatively brilliant.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Not very familiar with the score then, I guess.

I mean, it does try to cover all the highlights, doesn't it? The problem is there are loads of gorgeous little cues that you just can't fit on the OST, even if those Yule Ball songs had not been included.

31 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I mean, it does try to cover all the highlights, doesn't it? The problem is there are loads of gorgeous little cues that you just can't fit on the OST, even if those Yule Ball songs had not been included.

It's definitely among the best OSTs of the series, really feels like the actual journey of the score compressed down instead of a random hodgepodge. But yeah, just sooo much great stuff is still missing including those alternates etc.