HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs

Jay

7 minutes ago, blondheim said:

The Lost World didn’t because it would have needed to be a three CD set, which would have made it more expensive and probably harder to put out. I think Danny Elfman probably insisted on Spider-Man which is why that happened.

If I understood it correctly for TLW there would have been anyway just one track with a special album edit. But that one could have been added as single bonus track. 

And for Elfman, I like a lot of his music. But I never felt the need to own any expansion of his work because usually I would have been fine with about 50 to 70% of his OSTs. After all, he is not a John Williams. 

I was watching this video and thought I'd share in case someone hadn't seen or heard this before, but in the film, Hook's Entrance is cut short as Hook starts to talk about how he kidnapped Peter's children. You can kind of see how most of the unused portion would've played against the film in this clip. Description says it's an alternate take of the scene, and either in a different take or dialogue dubbing, they had Dustin scale back a bit on how he delivered his lines, here he's almost growling them, where in the final film he's more calm about it. Pretty cool stuff.

16 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

I’m surprised no one’s commented on the sample of the short version of Farewell Neverland. It sounds just like the familiar ending until abruptly heading off in a different direction (sounding rather like the Never-feast insert) at the very end of the clip. What a tease!

I mentioned it on our discord, but I liked the return of the twinkling similar to The Never-Feast! I can't wait to listen to the rest of it! That was a lovely surprise!

Since there isn't room on this for an OST remaster (a la the recent JP and Superman releases) without going to a fourth disc, is it going to be possible to make a playlist from this new set to recreate the OST?

[Personally, I don't particularly want to - apart from maybe replacing the Prologue track with the same thing but in the correct tempo/speed/key - since the sound quality and editing on the OST were pretty good, but I'm just interested]

Mark

29 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Since there isn't room on this for an OST remaster (a la the recent JP and Superman releases) without going to a fourth disc, is it going to be possible to make a playlist from this new set to recreate the OST?

Some of the combined cues are split up (Granny Wendy, Hook-napped, and The Face of Pan). 

By the way, what happened to Banning Back Home album verion? This set seems to have the film version and a significantly longer alternative....

I'm very happy for this and at the same time a little bit angry at myself for buying in 2023 two times 3 scores from Williams: Jurassic Park, Lost World (well, if you count the original scores releases those two are triple buys!) and Hook. 

Anyway, this is a very promising release of of his best works!

15 hours ago, Brando said:

I was watching this video and thought I'd share in case someone hadn't seen or heard this before, but in the film, Hook's Entrance is cut short as Hook starts to talk about how he kidnapped Peter's children. You can kind of see how most of the unused portion would've played against the film in this clip. Description says it's an alternate take of the scene, and either in a different take or dialogue dubbing, they had Dustin scale back a bit on how he delivered his lines, here he's almost growling them, where in the final film he's more calm about it. Pretty cool stuff.

I think the music work more on that "alternative" take than the final cut version of the scene. Dustin Hoffman explored multiple ways for his scenes.
And it was quite exhausting for the entire crew, actually, when I hear the impressions of some people who worked on the film. Even Spielberg was sometimes tired when he was sure to have the right take; Hoffman wanted to redo it, to try something else.
For exemple, when Crosby shouts, "Save me, daddy," while Peter is attempting to touch his children. Hoffman is seen pushing the pirates, shouting, "Fly! Fly! Fly!" In the next shot - / cut on the same shot /, he walks more slowly, smiling, saying, "Come on, Peter, fly! Stop pretending."

I love the unused musics but it's clear that sometimes, the music distracts from the dialogue. And when you see how Hook is already musically extremly rich, it's good to have moments without music. 

Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes for the other retailers to receive their LLL stock? I want to order this with something else from Intrada and don't want them to split the order.

13 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Does anyone have any idea how long it usually takes for the other retailers to receive their LLL stock? I want to order this with something else from Intrada and don't want them to split the order.

They're generally pretty good, just depends how LLL prioritize orders. I assume for BF they keep aside a certain amount of stock for other retailers (and maybe ship those before starting on customer orders).

I remember for Wrath of Khan they were so inundated with orders the entire first pressing was exhausted before they fulfilled all orders, so Intrada didn't get any stock until the second pressing (which took a few weeks from memory). That was so LLL could prioritise orders of their own.

16 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I’m surprised no one’s commented on the sample of the short version of Farewell Neverland. It sounds just like the familiar ending until abruptly heading off in a different direction (sounding rather like the Never-feast insert) at the very end of the clip. What a tease!

And I'm surprised nobody has commented that there is a track called "Smee's Concertina Medley" and pondered what that could be!

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Don't know about Intrada but Music Box Records receive it usually after 2 weeks, so if everything goes well, I expect to receive the shipping notification on Friday, 15th Dec, so the parcel should make it to Germany just in time for the holidays.

I have two questions about the score in general.

What's the theme called that opens the trailer cue, meaning the one the horns play, and it also returns once more, I think, at the opening in Hook-napped.

And what's the theme called that closes the score, right before the end credits begin? Am I right in thinking it only appears in that cue?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

And I'm surprised nobody has commented that there is a track called "Smee's Concertina Medley" and pondered what that could be!

Its most likely not, but when I saw that my mind immediately thought of this: 

11 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I have two questions about the score in general.

What's the theme called that opens the trailer cue, meaning the one the horns play, and it also returns once more, I think, at the opening in Hook-napped.

And what's the theme called that closes the score, right before the end credits begin? Am I right in thinking it only appears in that cue?

I believe it also appears near their final confrontation. I’ve always loosely thought of it as Hook vs Pan (or Pan vs Hook, if you prefer)

Very excited to see the sanctioned theme names and descriptions in the booklet. I could be wrong!

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm intrigued!

The title made me think of Jabba's Baroque Recital haha. I wonder what this is!

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Since it’s a medley, I bet it’s a handful of Williams’ themes. 

Just curious, what makes you think that follows?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

People called it various different names in the past, but we came up with our own name for it in the liner notes.

It also appears in "Forgotten How To Fly"

It must feel great that you got to help decide what we would be calling the themes from now on. Any names MM gives to themes are the definitive names for me.

1 hour ago, Presto said:

Just curious, what makes you think that follows?

It seems like something cutesy Williams would do - like the source music in Harry Potter (Hagrid’s flute, for instance) playing Williams’ unrelated themes.  Also because Jason indicated it was interesting, so I’m assuming it’s not just some random pirate jig stuff.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

People called it various different names in the past, but we came up with our own name for it in the liner notes.

That theme appears in "Hook Returns To Kensington", "Hook Is Back", "Peter's Challenge", and "The Sword Fight"!

It also appears in "Forgotten How To Fly"

So is that Toodles Theme? 😉

18 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It seems like something cutesy Williams would do - like the source music in Harry Potter (Hagrid’s flute, for instance) playing Williams’ unrelated themes.  Also because Jason indicated it was interesting, so I’m assuming it’s not just some random pirate jig stuff.

It's obviously a new version if this: