HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs

Jay

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is honestly the path I think everybody should take.

Listen first.  You only have one opportunity for that first listen.

Discuss the hell out of it later :)

If only this could be my first listen of Hook… instead it’s my 28547068745636786579th.

But I am not listening to it again until it gets here. No Hook unless it’s Ultimate! I am only allowed its neighbors: John Fitzgerald Kennedy, one of the two Home Alones or Far and Away. 

23 hours ago, Brando said:

Tbf, as soon as my copy reaches the mailbox, it'll be intercepted by Santa and held hostage for 20ish days so it'll even out:lol:

Oh dang that sucks, if you manage to grab it before santa you should listen through it once, just to make sure there's no problems 😉

But also mine has shipped 

6e03f7af-3aca-48a1-8857-c60ed1170d53_300

I see they've uploaded the alternate cover art for this album here, but it only has a resolution of 600x600. Is there any way to get a higher resolution version of the image off the LLL website? Didn't @Chewy know a way to do this with some images?

5 hours ago, Brando said:

I LOVE the pictures of Robin Williams and Dustin Hoffman opposite of each other in the last picture! And the blue design is very lovely.

I also noticed that it's the Robin Williams photo Drew Struzan used as reference for his poster painting. It's so crazy how much he can make it look both the same AND different at the same time. He just changes the pose and expression ever so slightly, which adds that magical Hollywood sparkle to all his portraits, I wish today's movie posters would still have that.

I don't generally go for reordering but I'd almost never keep a bonus section that spans a whole disc 'as is'. This case may be different in that the 'musical' concept is unique to this score of course, and it's nice that a curation could be made.

I'm afraid I'm a cherry picker though :P... when I receive a release that's in any way important to me, I'm heading directly for the crucial tracks to see how they sound before I listen to the entire thing.

And I may be alone, but I think there's an attractiveness in having commentary (ie. podcast) alongside your first exploration, like a personal guide to show you where things are in a museum. I've never really empathised with the need to experience first and be guided after discovery. (I mean in a conceptual sense of course... recording podcasts is very much a practical effort and they happen when they can)

I’m a little bit curious to hear more about the three bonus tracks that end disc 3. Why are they on their own and not in the “songs & alternates” segment - there doesn’t seem to be any overlap?

Am I missing something or did they simply not the narrative that Williams,  Bricusse and the team tried to create ie “Disc 3 = Hook The Musical”?

7 hours ago, Jay said:

It's amazing how the songs strengthen the score and the score strengthens the songs. It's like a continually rewarding experience for a long while after you get it. I've never experienced anything quite like it in all my years of film music collecting. I hope everyone finds it as rewarding as I do.

Not even when you first heard Thomas and the King???

1 hour ago, John Takis said:

You should (I hope) enjoy reading the liner notes, then!

If I buy this (the OST is largely enough for me) the I'm sure the liners will indeed be an excellent companion.

I was more referring to my stance whereby I don't think there needs to be a deliberate delay between receiving/listening, and analysis/discussion. I've never been one for listening to a score in its entirety so I'd listen to one particular track and then start raving about it and dissecting it, before I've finished the entire thing. Just my way of things :) 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

rather than letting it just be a pile of bonus tracks

Mike wouldn't have let that happen! He should give himself some credit ;)

15 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Even Mattessino gets CD cases without CD holding pins….

He's just like us!

14 hours ago, Jay said:

It's real. It exists.

406526737_10228635820895935_8390060978746719805_n.jpg407052337_10228635821015938_6464502974117841749_n.jpg

406102606_10228635820775932_3214594588082243943_n.jpg

Pictures courtesy Mike Matessino, who shares them with this message

Once again it didn't feel real until I actually saw and held it as a three dimensional object. So much work went into this with so many people involved. It's taken years but here it is!

I can't emphasize strongly enough that listeners should enjoy the crafted album experience of Disc 3 as we've presented it. I'm so thrilled this can finally be shared.

BANGERANG !!!

43 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone would like to guess how many pages the booklet for The Complete John Williams Star Wars Collection is going to have? :lol:

It should be hard bound and stitched….

14 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

I see they've uploaded the alternate cover art for this album here, but it only has a resolution of 600x600. Is there any way to get a higher resolution version of the image off the LLL website? Didn't @Chewy know a way to do this with some images?

Update: nevermind