Williams nominated for two 2024 Grammys - wins Best Instrumental Composition for "Helena's Theme"

Jay

Do we know how many times Williams has been double-nominated in one category and self-spoiled?

Based on this list, Williams has now overtaken Georg Solti, Stevie Wonder, and Kanye West with his new nominations. And based on this list his his win:nomination ratio is 1:2.92, so statistically he should win another one this time.

*Edit: I see the first list is one year old, so I'm not sure if the numbers are up to date?

Fabelmans already was nominated at the most recent Oscars (Grammys have a different timeline whereas Oscars are just the calendar year) 

I still think there's a chance he gets snubbed for Indy but he's always pencilled in for a nomination by default

4 hours ago, Ricard said:

Yes, the updated ranking confirms this.

Screenshot_20231112_102645_com.brave.browser_edit_717245533743.jpg

That also means that if you consider Williams a "classical" (or orchestral) artist (and Quincy Jones not one), Williams is now the most Grammy nominated classical artist, living or dead.

• 2 months later...

Though I've unleashed the Indiana Jones Disenchantment Thread upon the world, this I can have no argument with! 'Helena's Theme' makes the existence of 'Dial of Destiny' (mostly) bearable. Bravo, Mr. Williams.

As a part time DoD disenchanter, at least Helena's Theme is the most accomplished part of that score, in my view and if you're gonna give JW anything for that score, it's that piece.

However, just give Goransson the oscar now and put everyone here out of their misery.

29 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

However, just give Goransson the oscar now and put everyone here out of their misery.

IMHO I think Robertson has a bigger chance to get the Oscar than Goransson because:

(a) Goransson already has one, and

(b) Robertson's death (who has no wins) may trigger the sympathy vote.

But I digress...

An Oscar nom and Grammy win and still no CD in general retail or sheet music :eh: :down: :pfft: :angry:

With 26 Grammys, Williams is now tied with Pierre Boulez. Two more and he would tie wiht Quincy Jones for the #3 spot.

Stats from last year:

https://www.grammy.com/news/who-are-the-top-grammy-awards-winners-of-all-time

1 hour ago, That_Bloke said:

An Oscar nom and Grammy win and still no CD in general retail or sheet music :eh: :down: :pfft: :angry:

Given the state of CD releases I'd guess most instrumental composition winners aren't easily (or at all) available on CD.

Best Instrumental Composition

I interpret this to mean that all other categories at the Grammys either refer to non-instrumental music or to instrumental and non-instrumental arrangements. Thus, "Best Instrumental Composition" is possibly the supreme discipline at the Grammys when it comes to music.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

It is quite easy to compare and to hear what is better.

My personal tastes and enjoyment lean me more towards Oppenheimer on this occasion.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But I am sure Göransson's music sheets are worthy buring in John Williams' chimney and warm his feet on a long witer night.

Wow.

11 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But I am sure Göransson's music sheets are worthy buring in John Williams' chimney and warm his feet on a long witer night.

9 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Best Instrumental Composition

I interpret this to mean that all other categories at the Grammys either refer to non-instrumental music or to instrumental and non-instrumental arrangements.

Nah. There's all kinds of categories that refer to a variety of things. Plus apparently they're divided into "fields". The "Best Instrumental Composition" category is part of the "Production, Engineering, Composition & Arrangement" field, which encompasses these categories:

• Producer of the Year, Classical
  • Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical
  • Best Immersive Audio Album
  • Best Instrumental Composition
  • Best Engineered Album, Classical
  • Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical
  • Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella
  • Best Arrangement, Instrumental and Vocals

So it's clearly a contrast to e.g. the two arrangement categories. But it's not necessarily mutually exclusive with categories from the other fields I suppose - except that there's clearly little overlap in Williams's case with things like "Best Bluegrass Album", "Best Rock Song", or "Song of the Year".

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But I am sure Göransson's music sheets are worthy burning in John Williams' chimney and warming his feet on a long witer evening.

That Oppie cue sounds so much like Interstellar. 

4 hours ago, Bellosh said:

That Oppie cue sounds so much like Interstellar. 

It certainly has a familair vibe, but the changes in tempo are mindbogglingly complex and hard to pull off. This video goes into the complexity of the piece rhythmically (and melodicaly) and how difficult it was for the musicans to record it, and it gave me a greater appreciation of the piece.

Back to Williams win. Did he attend the ceremony?

That Oppenheimer track wasn't pleasant to listen to .Started grating on me a minute into the track .But it sounds gimmicky enough to win the Oscar