Rey Skywalker Star Wars movie (Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy directing, Stephen Knight writing)

Jay

Today during Lucasfilm's Studio Showcase at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2023, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy announced that three new live-action Star Wars films are on the way

Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy’s film will be set after the events of Rise of Skywalker, and feature Daisy Ridley back as Rey as she builds a new Jedi Order.

https://www.starwars.com/news/swce-2023-new-star-wars-films

The news was revealed Friday morning at the Star Wars Celebration in London, which saw a guest appearance from Ridley. Her movie from Obaid-Chinoy, penned by Peaky Blinders creator Steven Knight, will be set after the events of her previous movie in the franchise, Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker, and as she builds a new Jedi Order.

Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson were previously attached to the project.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/daisy-ridley-reprising-rey-in-sharmeen-obaid-chinoy-steven-knight-star-wars-movie-star-wars-celebration-1235319893/

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Another curiosity, the logo for rey skywalker era is the same as the legacy of the force era from legends.

Saving money on graphic design! ;)

I wonder if this will indeed be the first movie in a new trilogy or just something one and done. I'm pretty sure LFL's idea is to do a trilogy but they won't announce anything officially this early and avoid embarrassing themselves like with the Rian Johnson trilogy.

John Williams has to come back. I have to say that a new movie with Daisy Ridley is more than welcome even though I don't really where they want to go. Too bad it's ain't directed by Mangold because if Williams liked to work with him on Indy V and with the return of Ridley he might have jump on this immediatly

4 hours ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Ah, directed two episodes of Ms. Marvel and is most noted for being an activist.

Sounds about right.

I'll resist commenting or any wisecracks since I've been shamed into silence on these issues.

I don't care what they do outside the role. As long as they do good in their job in it. End of.

I should also mention that this is being written by Steven Knight, whose most prominent writing credit is probably Peaky Blinders.

John Williams' "list of people who are many thing but who you can't say no to"

Daisy Ridley

Anne-Sophie

Steven

JJ Baby

Cookies

I'm intrigued by this movie. I like Daisy and I didn't not like Rey. 

I will be excited to see what else we learn about this movie. 

Surprisingly I don't have any issues with Rey.

1 hour ago, leeallen01 said:

Andor was the only good Star Wars related thing Disney has done and no one watched it.

I watched it and thought it was pretty good! Thought a bit of a slow burn.

I am willing to wager this is planned as a trilogy, wherein which the first will underperform, and then they will bring back Kylo Ren for the second movie, and then throw Mark Hamill millions to come back for the third.  

Maybe, but I think that, if Disney pays the actors a lot of money, they can be convinced to go back.

I mean, after WB convinced Ben Affleck to play Batman again in The Flash and Marvel brought Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman back for Doctor Strange 2 and Deadpool 3, I think anyone can be convinced by Hollywood - and that includes Hamill.

Still, if (and that's a big if) any of them come back, I bet most of their roles will be minimal, just a small cameo.

I think the only reason Rey is confirmed for this is specifically because Daisy Ridley didn't openly badmouth her time with trilogy in the same way at least Issac and Boyega did (plus I think Marie Tran would rather avoid further online attacks).

Which again is why having a Clone Wars like show for the ST probably would be the way to go, since presumably they could just hire the Lego Skywalker Saga VAs for it and not have to worry about getting everyone back for it.

17 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Which again is why having a Clone Wars like show for the ST probably would be the way to go, since presumably they could just hire the Lego Skywalker Saga VAs for it and not have to worry about getting everyone back for it.

This already exists but everyone's forgotten about it

I find myself rather concerned by this : I hated (like approximately everyone) the sequels, but I feel like exploring the future of Star Wars couldn’t be done without Rey. Anyway, I’m intrigued by this, and just hoping that it won’t be a 3rd version of episode IV… Let’s wait for a synopsis before saying anything.

As for the critics against Disney’s strategy, I strongly disagree : SW was always about merchandising, and, if you don’t want to see the new shows or movies, don’t watch them. As bad as they could be, we can just ignore them, so they don’t ruin the saga…

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think it would be a good idea to give John Boyega a role worth of his character, especially given the implied Force sensitivity. Started off so well, in fact he was one of the few genuinely good things about TFA. I was really sad his character got sidelined more and more with each film.

Karol

Indeed. In the Last Jedi he was used in the wrong way. And in The Rise Of Skywalker his chemistry with Isaac was great, but his character went nowhere.

And we never found out what he wanted to say to Rey🙄🤣

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I think it would be a good idea to give John Boyega a role worth of his character, especially given the implied Force sensitivity. Started off so well, in fact he was one of the few genuinely good things about TFA. I was really sad his character got sidelined more and more with each film.

Karol

Find's force sensitivity was one of many crap ideas. Why come up with something like that in the last ten minutes of the last movie, which adds absolutely no value to the story overall.

I really hope, the new movie starts with Rey waking up and having dreamed all the events of episode 9.

3 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Indeed. In the Last Jedi he was used in the wrong way. And in The Rise Of Skywalker his chemistry with Isaac was great, but his character went nowhere.

And we never found out what he wanted to say to Rey🙄🤣

I agree that Finn is one of the best things that happened in the prequels, even if he was badly explored. As for what he wanted to say in TROS, I saw somewhere JJ Abrams saying that he was trying to say that he was sensitive to the Force. I don’t know if they keep it for episode X or not.

Kennedy says all Star Wars films will have a title crawl moving forward.

When we asked if it would be returning for the Rey film since the character became an adopted Skywalker, Kennedy did not hesitate with her response. "The crawl's coming back," she tells EW.

But what she said next is even more interesting. When asked if the crawl would be returning only for the Rey film, Kennedy was equally direct. "No. The crawl is for movies."

So, while the upcoming Disney+ series will all remain crawl-free, Star Wars movies — whether they are focused on the Skywalker lineage or not — will now all begin with a crawl to help differentiate them from their small-screen cousins.

But will JW's Main Title accompany them, I wonder?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Kennedy says all Star Wars films will have a title crawl, moving forward.

But will JW's Main Title accompany them, I wonder?

I would think so. It's the Star Wars signature. I couldn't imagine any other music accompanying an opening Star Wars crawl.

Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where JW gave each trilogy a different theme for the title crawl.

Luke's Theme for the OT, Duel of the Fates/the Trade Federation march for the PT, the Resistance March for the ST.

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Sometimes I wonder about the alternate universe where JW gave each trilogy a different theme for the title crawl.

for the PT,

Obi-Wan!

That's cool, there's a certain excitement I have associated with the opening crawl and the Main Title. 

I hope they'll have it re-recorded for each movie, rather than just select one from one of the films to stick in. Just because I like hearing the subtle differences on new recordings. 

Though, probably makes more logistical sense to just grab an existing recording. 

I'm glad they stick with the crawl. And it should have Williams' music over it. I know it started out as Luke's theme, but it has become so ingraned in everyone's mind as "The Star Wars Theme". 

I think it would be interesting to hear other composers mayne record the main title, but in their personal style. Still fully orchestral of course, but in their style