Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

Jay

Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Did you get the Dial of Destiny soundtrack on the CD format before it sold out?

• Yes, I pre-ordered the CD from Disney Emporium in June/July
    • No, because the order page was removed before I could order it there
    • No, because I assumed it would be sold through other retailers in August
    • No, because I do not want to own this album on CD
    • Yes, but only when it returned for sale for briefly in August

On 19/07/2023 at 2:31 PM, thx99 said:

Yes, I placed an order when it re-appeared briefly before being sold out.

Nice! That was like a 1 hour window!

1 minute ago, DangerMotif said:

I really hope they re issue this. I was waiting to order it from amazon without paying more for shipping than the cd

As a US resident, this is how it broke down for me:

ij5.png

I can only imagine the insane overseas shipping costs....

1 minute ago, DangerMotif said:

These are the same fools who refuse to let Matessino touch Star Wars or Indiana Jones.

Oh really? Is this confirmed?

Then we'll never get proper expansions of these scores?

9 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

They should have said from the beginning if it was a limited run

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's a figure of speech.  Neither Disney Records nor Mike Matessino have ever said anything publicly about collaborating together (or not).

Mike told me recently nothing was currently happening 

Of course, but "nothing is currently happening" is a world apart from a false statement that they "refuse to let Matessino touch Star Wars or Indiana Jones. "

I don't have a twitter account, but whoever has, can you let them know how angry are the film music community about the cd being OOP already?

Maybe they'll hear us and re-issue it.

That's a great question.

I'd assume 3,000 to 5,000 maybe

The vinyl probably 10,000

29 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Mike told me recently nothing was currently happening 

If as of 2023 nothing is currently happened, then the SW/Indy expansions, if they happen at all, are as far away as possible. They're still on ground zero.

If by tomorrow MM convinces Disney to let him work on that, then it'll be years and years of hard work and collaborating with a dozen people of different areas. 

Get ready to wait for at least a decade, I think.

I ordered the CD and LP as soon as I knew they were available. Having seen only this one link, it made me suspicious. The titles they sell only through that website always seem to be really dodgy in terms of availability (like some later Legacy Collection releases).

This is really depressing though. Really gutted for everyone who didn't get to order. Hopefully, ramming Disney with messages can help.

Karol

I saw it in stock sometime in the middle of the last window so in theory I had an opportunity.

But I'm not fussed, like at all. My physical collector mentality is almost exclusively reserved for releases from my favourite non-soundtrack artists who press a gazillion CDs.

I'm seeing so many releases now where the two options are vinyl or download - no CD option. Even Silva Screen have dropped CDs for almost everything. I had to go to Ebay to get a DW release that's 3 years old. (I decided I wanted to own all of Akinola's scores while I still could)

Not to labour the point overly, because I totally understand the frustration of not being able to own JW's last Indy score on CD and I admit I'm a little bit surprised that this particular release didn't get a bit more life on CD, but it really is a sign that CDs for modern soundtrack releases are close to death.

I placed an order almost a month ago. However, I haven't received a shipping note yet.

I feel sorry for those of you who didn't manage to buy a copy, and I hope Disney will print another batch.

"Yes" - assuming everything works out correctly. A friend ordered two copies, one of them for me. The order was confirmed and his Visa account billed, but we're still waiting for them to ship.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd assume 3,000 to 5,000 maybe

You think they really sold 3k+ copies in just a few weeks? It takes Intrada, LLL, & Co months (or even years) to sell that many copies of their most in-demand releases. Yes, those are usually expansion of stuff "normal" listeners already have as an album, but on the other hand, those who do order them know they're limited and frequently order from shops that sell them. This was only available via Disney's Emporium. How many non-soundtrack collectors would jump on this so quickly and pre-order a CD from there so quickly if it's not even known to be limited (and not even *known* to be exclusive - and how many people outside our bubble would think this through far enough to decide that it's probably going to be exclusive and possibly going to be sold out quickly)?

(I'm not saying you're wrong btw, and you know much more about these things than I do. It's just a much higher number than I would imagine)

I didn’t. Had no idea it was limited. :(

I just ordered the vinyl now since now I’m nervous about how limited that is. Quite bummed to have missed the CD, though.

I had no idea it was available for pre-order 😭 

guess I’ll have to wait until next time it comes around, I was under the impression the CD wouldn’t be available until sometime in August?

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

Disney has once again left its fans feeling disheartened as the CD for the latest Indiana Jones film is already out of print (OOP). This decision to make the soundtrack unavailable shortly after release makes it extremely difficult for fans who prefer physical copies or may have missed the initial release. Collectors and passionate fans of Indiana Jones' movie music are particularly affected, as they now face the challenge of finding the soundtrack at reasonable prices, if at all.

Moreover, Disney's pattern of making such wrong decisions regarding the availability of beloved soundtracks raises concerns about their approach to fan engagement. It appears that these choices prioritize short-term gains over fostering a loyal and satisfied fan base. By limiting access to cherished music and disregarding the desires of devoted collectors, Disney risks alienating its most passionate supporters. These decisions not only fuel fan frustration but also lead to a perception that Disney's priorities lie elsewhere, diminishing the trust and goodwill that fans once had for the company. As Disney continues to make such missteps, it becomes crucial for the company to reevaluate its strategies and prioritize the long-term satisfaction of its devoted fan base.

Actually this was their pattern for a long time, they would release many things in limited runs and they would always say once it was sold out the film is going back into "the vault", which was always so stupid, not to mention that on top of that I stopped buying their DVDs because every single one I ever got from them, across years, literally never worked, except for original Pirates movie, which died halfway through (and you could return it three times and none of them would work).

People complain about Eisner, but he fostered a lot of in house creativity at Disney, and they used to make excellent, unique products. Since Iger took over, it has done nothing but go down hill in everything but the stock price, which in reality is worthless if you make trash, or just nothing at all. If you read his autobiography, you can tell that he is an excellent manager, but not someone who should be anymore than that (even though he thought he had enough support to run for president LOL). His first show that got green lit was Twin Peaks, and he kind of went on a rant about how it was an incredible show and nobody knows what they're talking about it shouldn't have been cancelled. So it is unsurprising how everything else has turned out, including new Star Wars.

I think its clear he literally has no idea what people like or want, in fact he seems to usually go in the opposite direction of what people like/want. Not surprising his replacement would be awful either. What is also clear is their nickle and diming people to death instead of making quality anything, which cultivates a much more different customer base, which is basically the complete opposite of the loyal fan base that Lucasfilms and media had. I also think this will only get worse.

Iger set a terrible precedent that has echoed into other areas as well, such as video games and music, where a larger company buys a smaller one and then ruins it. I think replacing George Lucas with someone else instead of selling to Disney would have been much wiser.

I chose option four as that’s the reason I didn’t buy one, but honestly after the limited stock fiasco started happening I started to realize that it would be nice to have this soundtrack in physical form, even if only as a keepsake of what could be JW’s last score (and almost definitely his last major action-adventure blockbuster)… Too bad.

Count me in as one of those who assumed that Disney had an exclusivity window before seeing a wider release.  I was unable to pre-order this when I had the chance due to being bedridden for a few weeks after surgery.

Did Disney strategically opt not to mention this being a limited run to avoid speculators?  Or was this two CD  purchase limit placed from the get-go? 

I'd get the digital version as a last resort, as I neither want to double dip for identical content should a CD be made available again, nor do I plan on breaking the bank on eBay.

I ordered the CD and LP as soon as the preorder dropped. Then when the 1 day anniversary sale happened, I canceled that order and re-ordered to capture the discount. I do wish I had kept the original order too! But glad for what I have on the way at some point.

No shipping notice yet though as I assume they will only send the complete order together in August although perhaps I am wrong and my CD order will ship tomorrow.

For no other reason than very wishful thinking and with absolutely nothing to back up my idea, I am hoping there is a fairy tale developing here.

Once upon a time, there is some very passionate soundtrack person behind this decision to go with the very small limited run. That person then will leverage the fact that it sold out before release of the demand for more, the outrage of the JW fans being intentionally. And from there, this saint/angel/fairy godmother will be able to convince the powers that be/evil prince/Bob Iger to allow an expanded complete release in the very near future. Like for the home video release.

And we all live happily ever after.

(In the sequel to this story, we get the other 4 Indy films and all 9 numbered SW films. And any Fox TV music Johnny did in the 60's we don't have.)

One can dream.

With situations like this, I like to see the film first. So I went and saw the film within a couple days of its release. Before long, I decided I wanted to buy the album. That was when I discovered the CD had only been available on that site, and the page had evaporated without even an "out of stock/print" message. I wasn't crestfallen, but I was surprised and pretty disappointed. Bought on Qobuz instead. Obviously the music is identical to what I would have gotten from the CD, but I would have liked to have had the nice packaging, the liner notes, and the completeness on my shelf. Now I won't buy it on CD until they release an expanded version in 30 years, just in time for nostalgia to bring CDs back from extinction.

Honestly, it’s a keepsake more than a music delivery system. I rip my discs.  I may keep mine sealed and just enjoy the video.

But dammit, it’s an important keepsake.  The Polydor Raiders CD on my shelf doesn’t even have any pictures inside or a musician list. 

I just ordered the LP since that’s what I listen to daily. 

I wish releases were labeled if they were limited properly. It’s annoying that almost every LP release is labeled as limited but they don’t say to how many and at times never run out of stock. This CD had the opposite problem. 

I recommend that anyone who has Twitter tweet the news about the CD selling out so fast to James Mangold:

His Twitter account is: mang0ld

I don't have Twitter, but I asked a friend to do so, and he included the Disney Music Emporium tweet announcing, retroactively, that the CD was limited.

Obviously, all tweets should be friendly and respectful and ask for Mangold's kind help.

I think Mangold might be the only one who can possibly fix this, since John Williams isn't accessible online, and I don't think Disney Music Emporium cares.

I had no idea the soundtrack in CD format was a exclusive release available only on the Disney site. Oh well no money for Disney then.

Kind of sucks that a soundtrack by someone like John Williams doesn't receive a wide CD release anymore.