HOOK (1991) - NEW! 2023 3-CD Ultimate Edition Produced, Edited, and Mastered by Mike Matessino featuring all Williams/Bricusse songs

Jay

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

+10 to Gryffindor for faking that it really interested you.

Who can be interested in a source cue played on the accordion?

You it seems.

Nice sportsmanlike conduct!

Hey, I do legitimately get excited by little things like this. The odd source cue here and there or random previously unknown curiosity are fun!

@Jay, I hope the podcast will cover the VINYL project when it was suddenly announced during the films anniversary timeline and whether its delay had something to do with further recollections on the speed etc...? im vaguely remember this...

Also it seems Williams seems to be warming up to the inclusion of songs and source music just as he did with SABRINA release. It's good sign perhaps future project will have the same approach.

14 hours ago, Jay said:

And I'm surprised nobody has commented that there is a track called "Smee's Concertina Medley" and pondered what that could be!

I assumed this was some kind of pre-recorded medley of music of Smee playing his concertina, which wasn't ultimately used in the film as he doesn't play one in the movie. Or some such.

So much new material on this set to explore. :) 

6 hours ago, Amer said:

@Jay, I hope the podcast will cover the VINYL project when it was suddenly announced during the films anniversary timeline and whether its delay had something to do with further recollections on the speed etc...? im vaguely remember this...

Also it seems Williams seems to be warming up to the inclusion of songs and source music just as he did with SABRINA release. It's good sign perhaps future project will have the same approach.

I'd also love to know what was behind the announcement of that 3 disc LP set and its sudden cancellation. And then the Mondo release came along too, with the new OST assembly by Mike... which I believe is the only place we have the OST with the Prologue at the correct speed. But that was taken from the same transfers as the 2cd LLL set? 

It's always fascinating to hear the stories of how releases came to be, and all the little challenges along the way. It was so crazy hearing about the different sources and releases for Superman, and how each time it was put out a better source seemed to immediately come along! And Neil Bulk said something very similar about Batman, and how the Mondo vinyl is now sort of the "ultimate" version of that. I love hearing those tales. 

Can't wait for this set. I'm so excited :)

21 minutes ago, Brando said:

but I hoped that out of the 2, he'd at least approve Ballgame since that one is buried under sfx and cannot be easily ripped from the film audio, like the Christmas carol can

And we have Gentlemen in Home Alone already anyway :P

1 hour ago, Madmartigan JC said:

"Yuppie Sounds" ROTFLMAO
They should've kept that title!

It also looks like the original plan was to release the unedited 4:30 version, rather than the 2:21 version we got. A few other tracks are listed on that document with longer running times too.

I wonder if the original plan was to have an even longer release. Two CDs, even?

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Forget that, dude. Some of us aren't interested in the super-duper version.

I'd be happy with the 2-disc set.

I wasn't serious about throwing it away, I would probably sell it, for a fair price (around 10-15$ base)

I feel like the OST does in fact have a lot of my personal highlights from the score. The wrong speed intro kind of kills it though, even if you were happy with the selection. And of course this is one of THE richest scores of Williams' career, so I wouldn't want to be without the most comprehensive version possible. I'd rather hear the whole tapestry than just the highlights, even if I never listened to the bonus tracks (which I probably won't do very often).

Speaking of highlights though, the complete finale (post Ultimate War) feels pretty essential to me.

Speaking of which... is anyone planning on NOT listening to the new songs? Yes, I know it's a big deal, and some people have waited their whole lives for this, but I like JW's tunes better without Bricusse' lyrics. Even though Bricusse will always be a hero to me for Willy Wonka alone. But I think I prefer not hearing lyrics in my head when I listen to the themes from this score.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Forget that, dude. Some of us aren't interested in the super-duper version.

I'd be happy with the 2-disc set.

Honestly, Holko's right. You really, really don't want to pay for this. The OST is consistently... good. Take that one or the new one, but not the 2012 one.

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

The original OST album wasn't a masterpiece of album programming though.  It's a mostly chronological, mostly unedited assembly of cues that happened to have been recorded already when they had to lock a program in order for the album to be in stores the same week as the film, with no concert arrangements or anything specially recorded just for it, and one entire track playing at the wrong speed. 

It's very clear to me that if schedules had been different, some of the arrangements we eventually got on the Williams/Spielberg CD probably would have been recorded at the film's scoring sessions, and the OST album would have come out different than it is, certainly including some of the music that hadn't been recorded yet like the climax of the score.

The new LLL main program and Disc 3 program are assembled with love and care and are approved by John Williams.

I was mainly just trolling Matt on this one because he’s so hardline.  I fully expect the main program to be an improvement on the OST in this particular case.  I do want to apologize, since I realize you have some ownership in this situation - I’m not being shitty about the release!  Didn’t think it through.

Sometimes songs can bug me when interspersed through a score, but for Hook I've always had a fondness for We don't Wanna Grow up and When You're Alone. I'm excited to hear the unused songs and see what they're like. 

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

Speaking of which... is anyone planning on NOT listening to the new songs? Yes, I know it's a big deal, and some people have waited their whole lives for this, but I like JW's tunes better without Bricusse' lyrics. Even though Bricusse will always be a hero to me for Willy Wonka alone. But I think I prefer not hearing lyrics in my head when I listen to the themes from this score.

I want to, just because of the rumors of a rap song.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

Even back when the OST came out it felt crammed and I knew it was missing a lot of highlights. I was already paying attention to this back then.

The OST came out about 3 weeks before I was born.

Does anyone know the reason why the OST “Prologue” is the “wrong” speed? Did someone in the editing room screw up? Or did Williams decide he liked it slower?

And for that matter, why did people assume that it was originally recorded at a faster speed and got slowed down, rather than the possibility that it was recorded at the OST speed, and got sped up for the trailer that everyone got accustomed to? Forgive my ignorance on this.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

I'll listen to them at least once, but I'm definitely going to make a score only playlist and may not revisit the songs very much if at all after first listen.