Dial of Destiny: "Huge score" with 2 hours of music, 60+ cues, according to Mangold

crumbs

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

so I'll be  50% unreleased music

Maybe not. If there is 2 hours of music and the OST is 75 minutes long, then there'd be 45 minutes (37.5%) of unreleased material.

I think the worst-case scenario is that, out of 75 minutes in the album, 15 minutes are for period songs or classical music, leaving the OST with only 60 minutes of original score - half of the amount of recorded music unreleased.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2 hours of music and 60 cues is less than what he wrote for each movie in the Sequel Trilogy, right?

Yes, though the number of cues is less important than minutes of music.   My guess is several of these cues run together for longer runs in the film itself, but it is easier to record them in small chunks.  

The question we all want to know: will Mangold convince JW to do a 2-CD set with the almost complete score?

Or more realistically, allow him to do a 75-minute f*cked around CD, then release the entire thing digitally.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

When Mangold says "left behind", does he mean "to be recorded" or "not used in the final cut"?

I assume "not be used" because he used the past tense "conducted and recorded" But I wonder if Williams has finished that extra little bit of scoring he mentioned in Italy?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea looking at it again, I guess he says 99% in the film meaning most of what got recorded got used, but 1% of it wasn't needed in the final cut.

Maybe the 1% is just the old finale…

I will never understand the obsession with amount of music (or, in fact, any cultural work), as if you're buying groceries and need to get your money's worth in sheer quantities. Personally, I'm looking forward to whatever he comes up with. Hopefully, a tad more interesting than INDY IV (which was decent, but still had issues), musically, but formed and shaped into a nice, flowing concept album. A few action setpieces scattered about, some old theme cameos, some romanticism (Helena's theme is already there), perhaps with a wistful ending to signal Williams' and Ford's (presumably) last entry in the series. Whether it's 40 or 70 minutes, I don't really care, as long it's concise and representative.

Seems to me that 2 hours of music is a great bank of raw material to choose from, in order to build something meaningful.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I will never understand the obsession with amount of music (or, in fact, any cultural work), as if you're buying groceries and need to get your money's worth in sheer quantities. Personally, I'm looking forward to whatever he comes up with. Hopefully, a tad more interesting than INDY IV (which was decent, but still had issues), musically, but formed and shaped into a nice, flowing concept album. A few action setpieces scattered about, some old theme cameos,...

From Williams himself we know that that he spends a whole day of his life on writing every two minutes of music. And every two minutes of this work are regarded by many of his fans as better than most and even sometimes the best that we get served by other composers.

In addition Williams proved in his recent releases, especially The Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker, that he unfortunately rather focusses of chosing the quotes and repetitions of his old themes than giving us mainly his new music. I don't know why. If I want to hear Yoda's Theme I listen to The Empire Strikes Back and not The Last Jedi or Rise of Skywalker. So, unless it is a very special variation, I don't expect these quotes to be included on the OST. But they are.

So, I hope that this time we don't run again into a situation, where everyone rather listens to the FYC and puts the OST unlistened to the collection and hopes to live long enough to experience in 20 years a C&C expansion of the score.

What you describe is no problem to me. Williams is one of the best album producers of all time, and I'm confident he will find a way to whittle those 2 hours down to a beautiful concept album, whatever it may contain. If a C&C release appears down the line, for those who crave such things, that's no problem for me, as long as that OST has already been made with the standard we've come to expect.

26 minutes ago, Brando said:

@Joni Wiljami why the sad reaction??

I'm always bad with the reactions, I would be so happy if that will ever happen, would make me cry like with the wonderful " score only" Last Jedi thing!!! Tears of happiness...

2 hours ago, Joni Wiljami said:

I'm always bad with the reactions, I would be so happy if that will ever happen, would make me cry like with the wonderful " score only" Last Jedi thing!!! Tears of happiness...

Ohhhhhh, I was like I didn’t think anyone would complain about that, I understand now:lol:

We'll get a 70 minutes OST, starting with The Raiders March, then by the 4 Concert Suites especially written for the album, then a dozen cues from the score in a non-chronological order.  :lol:

37 minutes ago, Bespin said:

We'll get a 70 minutes OST, starting with The Raiders March, then by the 4 Concert Suites especially written for the album, then a dozen cues from the score in a non-chronological order.  :lol:

with the 4 suites being The Adventures of Mutt, Marion's Theme, Scherzo for Motorcycle, and The Basket Game.